Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/30/2002 4:11:49 PM EDT
Fox news: [url]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,59151,00.html[/url]

They have GOT to be kidding!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 4:35:26 PM EDT
[#1]
If you cant speak English, you shouldnt be able to vote in America.

just mt .02
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 4:58:23 PM EDT
[#2]
"There are very, very few people who cannot speak English well enough to be able to comprehend a ballot … names do not appear differently in other languages," said Linda Chavez, head of the Center for Equal Opportunity and one-time Bush Cabinet nominee.

"I think it also sends a very bad message to people who become naturalized citizens -- and that is, it’s not important for people to learn English," she said.
View Quote

She's right. How did we ever get in this mess? English proficiency should be a requirement for citizenship. Obviously it isn't...

Link Posted: 7/30/2002 4:58:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Kofi Annan is probably busting a nut right now.

While bobbing on satan's crank.....
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 5:00:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Here in California we've had multi-lingual ballots for years. Big pain in the ass.

My father came from the Phillipines in 1922 and my mother came over in 1946. Both had to adapt to a new society and language.

Rather than hand holding new citizens, the government should required them to show a little initiative and ability to adapt.

Neither I nor any of my siblings speak our parents' native language. Both my folks were staunch Republicans and opposed multi-lingual accomodations for citizens who don't care enough to learn english.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 5:09:22 PM EDT
[#5]
habla espanol o no se habla nada! porque? porque estamos estupidas!

what a crock of shit! all so the demos can hand out a twenty dollar bill and chauffer "citizens" to the polls with a candidate preference card in their pocket!

give me your tired, your poor...and those who's votes i can buy with your tax dollars.

Link Posted: 7/30/2002 5:16:04 PM EDT
[#6]
How can a country that requires it's new citizens to read, write, and speak English  allow multi-language ballots?

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 8:01:28 PM EDT
[#7]
How about another perspective.  My wife is a naturalized citizen and speaks excellent English.  However, her reading skills leave a little bit to be desired since she was raised in Korea and the difference between Korean and English writing can confuse her.  She has no problem in voting for individual offices but understanding propositions and initiatives gives her a problem. That's where voter guides in Korean help her to understand the issues.  She doesn't think the ballots should be in another language but would like some assistance in understanding the issues.  By the way, she is a registered Republican and voted for Bush.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 8:09:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Here in California we've had multi-lingual ballots for years. Big pain in the ass.

My father came from the Phillipines in 1922 and my mother came over in 1946. Both had to adapt to a new society and language.

Rather than hand holding new citizens, the government should required them to show a little initiative and ability to adapt.

Neither I nor any of my siblings speak our parents' native language. Both my folks were staunch Republicans and opposed multi-lingual accomodations for citizens who don't care enough to learn english.
View Quote

Amen brother!! Coming from another minority. If you're in America speak English!!!!

EOD guy has a point however. English is a very difficult language to learn and read. But I would rather have that than some others that out right refuse to learn at the very least to speak English.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 8:22:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How about another perspective.  My wife is a naturalized citizen and speaks excellent English.  However, her reading skills leave a little bit to be desired since she was raised in Korea and the difference between Korean and English writing can confuse her.  She has no problem in voting for individual offices but understanding propositions and initiatives gives her a problem. That's where voter guides in Korean help her to understand the issues.  She doesn't think the ballots should be in another language but would like some assistance in understanding the issues.  By the way, she is a registered Republican and voted for Bush.
View Quote

How about you read the proposition to her, you show her what yes or for looks like in english.  What no or oppose looks like in english.  Have her write down on a pad of paper what propositions she is for and against in english AND Korean as a cheat sheet and there you go.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 8:35:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Ummm... what's the word I'm looking for...

Oh yeah - [b]BULLSHIT!!![/b][pissed]

These ungrateful illiterate parasitic scuzbags who wash up on the shore or trip over the non-existant border in the desert by the hundreds each day are nothing more than millions of incindiary bullets being loaded into the Democ[b]rat[/b]ic Party's machineguns that are purposefully aimed right at the US Constitution and the already-tattered red, white and blue fabric of our AMERICAN society and culture.

These f@cking lazy, arrogant, illiterate, soon-to-be-reproducing-by-the-score, Democ[b]rat[/b]ic-voting, anti-gun-culture-growing, immigrant parasites certainly have NO TROUBLE reading the printing on our F@CKING [b][green]MONEY[/green][/b]!!! [pissed]

[B]OH DO THESE F@CKERS AND THEIR LIBERAL DEMOCRAT ENABLERS PISS ME OFF!!![/B]
[pissed][pissed][pissed][pissed][pissed][pissed][pissed]

Link Posted: 7/30/2002 9:18:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

She should go to night school.

I really don't give a flying rat's rear end how somebody votes.  I do, however, care about the survival of American culture.  I don't want to live in a country that becomes a fragmented amalgamation of different language zones just to make things easier for somebody who I really don't want here to begin with.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 9:54:49 PM EDT
[#12]
[red]YA KNOW WHAT'S NEXT???

BILINGUAL DOLLARS (they'll probably call them pesos in Kalifornia just so that they'll be non-racist and so the Mexican immigrants will not feel so Alien).
[/red]
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 10:26:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

[pissed]
Diddo.  My father came here in 1929 from the Philippines.  Granted, he knew English since at that time, the Philippines was a US Territory.
[pissed]
So, if it will be 'Bilingual ballots' will it be in Russian, German, French, Japanese or what ever for the other immigrants?
[pissed]
I'm sorry, but this is another 'Liberal' ploy to make sure 'their' people get in.  If they can't steal an election one way, they'll do it another.
[pissed]
If ya want to be in the USofA, ya should learn English.  No ifs, ands or buts.....

Link Posted: 7/30/2002 11:21:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top