Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/11/2005 7:15:49 PM EDT
Chelsea Remembers Slain Soldier, Faces Down Protesters

CHELSEA, Okla. (AP) -- People who knew Army Staff Sgt. John Doles and many who didn't took up U.S. flags Tuesday in his hometown to honor his sacrifice and defy an outside group that sought to turn the slain soldier's funeral into a stage for its message of hate.

As Doles' funeral procession rolled past the brick buildings of the small town where he grew up, men, women and children stood with tears in their eyes and hands on their hearts.

"Respect," said 73-year-old Betty Benson, explaining why she waved a flag for the 29-year-old she never knew.  "I think he deserves that."

Doles died Sept. 30 in an ambush in southern Afghanistan. He was squad leader in B Company 1-508th Infantry, 173rd Airborne Brigade, based in Vicenza Italy, where he lived with his wife, Heather, and their 12-year-old son and 9-year-old daughter.

He had previously served in Iraq, parachuting into the country in the opening days of the war in the largest combat jump since World War II.

Those who knew Doles described him as an outgoing friend, devoted father and a soldier eager to serve.

"John knew his stuff," said Sgt. Brian Waterman, Doles' friend and platoon sergeant when they
served together at Fort Polk, La.

"I believe all of us here know how big a heart John had," Waterman told the more than 200 people crammed into the First Christian Church. "When we were all in Iraq with no e-mail, no phones, John still made sure Heather got flowers on her birthday."

Doles' death made the far off wars far more personal for the people of his hometown. And many brimmed with anger when a half-dozen members of Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka, Kan., showed up shortly before his funeral.

The church members, who have protested soldiers' funerals in Oklahoma and elsewhere, say God is punishing U.S. soldiers for defending a country that harbors gays.

They stood on a street corner in sight of the church and waved signs with messages such as "God Hates the USA" and "Don't Worship the Dead."

But even as they unfolded their signs, their protest was met with a counter protest that erupted in a full-throttle roar.

About 70 members of the leather-clad American Legion Riders from Kansas and Oklahoma revved their motorcycles for about 30 minutes, drowning out anything the church members tried to say.

Cregg Hansen, a Vietnam-era veteran who helped lead the counter protest, said Doles' family had wanted to hear the engines' roar.

The riders said they plan to do the same if the group attempts to disrupt other soldiers' funerals within riding distance.

"It ain't right to protest a sacred thing like this," said Ron Scrivner, a rider whose father is a veteran. "He (Doles) died for his country. They ought to show him the respect he deserves."

The church members' protests at funerals prompted a state lawmaker to introduce a bill making it a misdemeanor offense to picket or otherwise demonstrate within 500 feet of where a funeral is being held and within two hours of the time a funeral is to begin or to end.

About 40 law officers were on hand during the protest, which ended peacefully when the church group left. The motorcyclists clutched flags and joined local residents in solemn tribute as the funeral procession passed through town.

No one mentioned the disruption during Doles' service.

His wife, son Logan and daughter Breanna sat inches away from the flag-covered casket. At the back of the sanctuary, Doles' war medals -- which included a Bronze Star, the Purple Heart, the Army Commendation Medal -- sat amid flickering candles.

The Rev. Richard Billings, who officiated at the Doles' wedding and Doles' baptism, said dying in Afghanistan "was not the last thing he ever did."

"His ministry is right now. Johnny Doles is a hero," Billings said. "We enjoy the freedom he worked for and gave his life for."

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:19:58 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
And many brimmed with anger when a half-dozen members of Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka, Kan., showed up shortly before his funeral.

The church members, who have protested soldiers' funerals in Oklahoma and elsewhere, say God is punishing U.S. soldiers for defending a country that harbors gays.

They stood on a street corner in sight of the church and waved signs with messages such as "God Hates the USA" and "Don't Worship the Dead."

Here's the page to a schedule of the upcoming picket they have planned:

http://www.godhatesfags.com/fliers/Picket_Information.html

I keep hoping for someone to administer a severe beating.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:22:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Good for them. Fuck the protestors. They give Christians a bad name.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:23:08 PM EDT
[#3]
It was cool that the bikers drowned them out...Bastards are coming to OKC this weekend to protest at the church of a state rep that is trying to get them outlawed...I was getting ready to post the same story when I saw yours...I have a link to the story that has video with it.

www.channeloklahoma.com/news/5085852/detail.html
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:23:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

No shit, what a bunch of dicks.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:24:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:24:39 PM EDT
[#6]

God bless Staff Sergeant John Doles, United States Army.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:25:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Hardcore.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:25:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Awesome!  I need to make friends with more bikers.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:28:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Anyone know if FedEx, UPS, etc. will deliver crates of over-ripe tomatoes to a specific address at a specific time (without needing a delivery signature or delivery name).   Come to think of it....it could be addressed to "pissed-off mourner"
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:29:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Fuckin right go bikers.  Should kick their dumb church asses..
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:30:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I am so sick of that FFFFNG Fred Phelps and his followers of hate. It's gone AWAY beyond freedom of religion and speech with these sick bastards. I'm afraid I'd do something stupid if I had to see them every day with their sick signs and slogans protesting  on the street in Topeka. I've even seen them protesting in TX, and I was ashamed that they call KS home.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:31:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I just got done watching the video clip. Those bikers did a damn good thing. One thing I noticed is that one person was walking all over the flag. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a law against doing that type of thing to the flag.

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:31:08 PM EDT
[#13]
So...

They condemn soldiers who die for this country that "harbors gays" but yet......they continue to live and make a living here with their families?

Holy fuckin Christ.  And people wonder why some lump others into regular religion and think everyone is a nutjob.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:34:34 PM EDT
[#14]

The church members' protests at funerals prompted a state lawmaker to introduce a bill making it a misdemeanor offense to picket or otherwise demonstrate within 500 feet of where a funeral is being held and within two hours of the time a funeral is to begin or to end.

The very fact that there is a proposed law to deal with fucktards like this shows just how far we've devolved as a nation and as a people.

Such a vile thing as protesting in such a mannor at a SOLDIERS FUNERAL WHO WAS KILLED IN THE SERVICE OF HIS NATION would have been unthinkable.  If anyone had even *tried* they would have ended up in a world of pain (or much, much worse) and the community wouldn't have blinked an eye.

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:37:06 PM EDT
[#15]
I dont believe that Godhatesfags is some fundementalist Christian group. I believe it is a group of phoney liberals that are trying to demonize Christians by using this phoney bogus group.
Liberals often refer to the Godhatesfags group when ever they are trying to argue that Chrisitians are racists, bigots ect.
Stop and think - who does Godhatesfags.com benefit most? Liberals of course.

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:40:04 PM EDT
[#16]
These people beg for a Molotov cocktail.

Quoted:
I dont believe that Godhatesfags is some fundementalist Christian group. I believe it is a group of phoney liberals that are trying to demonize Christians by using this phoney bogus group.
Liberals often refer to the Godhatesfags group when ever they are trying to argue that Chrisitians are racists, bigots ect.

Trust me, they are not.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:42:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Amen!

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:44:18 PM EDT
[#18]
I understand and appreciate free speech but protesting a funeral should warrant this.

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:49:43 PM EDT
[#19]
those mother fuckers deserve the darkest & hottest chasm of hell
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:51:09 PM EDT
[#20]
I misread the title.  I though it said "Bikers leave protesters face down at soldier's funeral."

Oh well, one can but hope....
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:51:22 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Awesome!  I need to make friends with more bikers.

If you hear of these bastards coming to protest a funeral in north Texas just let me know, there will be plenty of bikers there!!!

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:02:27 PM EDT
[#22]
There's only one thing anybody that "protests" at the funeral of a member of the Armed Forces that has died in their defense deserves, and that's a bullet. Fuck 'em.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:05:23 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
There's only one thing anybody that "protests" at the funeral of a member of the Armed Forces that has died in their defense deserves, and that's a bullet. Fuck 'em.

+1

They should be either shot, or removed from this country.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:11:04 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

God bless Staff Sergeant John Doles, United States Army.

Amen
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:11:59 PM EDT
[#25]
I  checked out the link to thier site!! Wow these are some truly fucked up individuals. A MAJOR ass kicken would definatly be in order.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:12:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Only the lowest form of human filth protest at a funeral.
Good for the bikers!
What these protestors need is a severe wooden shampoo.
R.I.P. Staff Sgt. John Doles

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:13:02 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

That's been my impression, too - Code Pink wannabes, trying to pass themselves off as religious zealots.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:13:33 PM EDT
[#28]

But even as they unfolded their signs, their protest was met with a counter protest that erupted in a full-throttle roar.

About 70 members of the leather-clad American Legion Riders from Kansas and Oklahoma revved their motorcycles for about 30 minutes, drowning out anything the church members tried to say.

Cregg Hansen, a Vietnam-era veteran who helped lead the counter protest, said Doles' family had wanted to hear the engines' roar.

The riders said they plan to do the same if the group attempts to disrupt other soldiers' funerals within riding distance.

Right fuckin on!!!
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:13:45 PM EDT
[#29]
I was going to say something but it has all been said.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:13:50 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't get it... what the hell does soldiers dying have to do with God hating gays.

God may or may not hate gays, but i'm pretty sure God, his son Jesus and everyone around hates those stupid church members.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:19:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Hey topeka guy, find out when these douchebags are holding their next rally. I bet any arfcommer with one of those tear gas grenades would like to give you a helping hand.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:21:29 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a hard time connecting the dots...
Honoring a fallen soldier and the fact that gays live in America???
What kinda crap is that?  
They better stay outta Texas with that nonsense.

I do not believe in homosexuality (‘cept maybe for some in the Texas forum, but we keep that on the downlow) however I have a hard time seeing how harassing the dead friends and relatives accomplices anything. This is meaningless.  
Why not go throw a fit at the local gay bar??
MAN WTH is wrong with people????????????
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 9:17:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 11:52:57 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Personally I wish someone would call the Boondock Saints to deal with him.  He's really that bad.  

+1

Too bad the protesting bikers were nice guy types........I'd love to see what kind of "counter protest" a hard core FTW 1% club would do, like the Hell's Angels & the like did to communist shitbag hippie war protesters back in the '60s.    
Phelps & crew might continue to protest (& sue) if they get pushed around by irate normals....people who have something to lose in a lawsuit because they have a job/their own home/etc.  What happens when his flock start ending up in ICU or the morgue & the people who sent them there have no income (on paper, anyways ) or other tangible property.

An asshole "in your face" religious wackjob from Kansas?  I'm shocked!  
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:17:36 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Personally I wish someone would call the Boondock Saints to deal with him.  He's really that bad.  

+1

Too bad the protesting bikers were nice guy types........I'd love to see what kind of "counter protest" a hard core FTW 1% club would do, like the Hell's Angels & the like did to communist shitbag hippie war protesters back in the '60s.    
Phelps & crew might continue to protest (& sue) if they get pushed around by irate normals....people who have something to lose in a lawsuit because they have a job/their own home/etc.  What happens when his flock start ending up in ICU or the morgue & the people who sent them there have no income (on paper, anyways ) or other tangible property.

An asshole "in your face" religious wackjob from Kansas?  I'm shocked!  

I think it's important to note that These people are NOT the Anti-Bush Anti-Iraq protesters like Cindi Sheehan. Even they are'nt THAT dumb and disrespectful! This is the God hates Fags totally  wacko church which only 6 protesters showed up for. They are totally out of left field! They are'nt libs or dems but seem to be anti-gay, anti-american. They think God hates the US and that Osama B laden was Gods "punishment" or something even though he himself is going to hell cause he's Muslim.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:27:19 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's been my impression, too - Code Pink wannabes, trying to pass themselves off as religious zealots.

www.codepink4peace.org/img/original/DSC01843.jpg

The blond ain't bad, but it looks like hubby ain't getting any.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:42:19 AM EDT
[#37]
thes poreoratcets bloods shoudls paints the grounsd/ Never fuck sith a soldiers funeral you fuckings priucks
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:44:26 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
thes poreoratcets bloods shoudls paints the grounsd/ Never fuck sith a soldiers funeral you fuckings priucks

How's that bottle of wine treatin' ya?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:52:02 AM EDT
[#39]
oh shits its wine? I thought is was mandiuardin absolut. Fuck....
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 1:03:54 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
In case anybody doesn't know who the members of Westboro Babtist church are, here's their homepage.  I'm leaving the link cold.

http://www.godhatesfags.com/main/

One day their "pastor" is going to go too far against the wrong person with one of his little protests (which are really scams to try to get people to assault him or infringe his civil rights so he can sue them and make money), and he's going to get dealt with.  Then he's really going to find out who God hates and doesn't hate, and I personally think he's going to be surprised at what The Man has to say about his little scheme.

+1.

God does NOT hate homosexuals. God hates the SIN, not the sinner. Yes, He deplores homosexuality, but ANY sin will keep a person from God.

I have long suspected that these nuts are simply leftist liberals masquerading as Christians in order to make us look like looneys.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 1:17:49 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

They should be either shot, or removed from this country.  

Yup...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 2:26:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Another Skysoldier goes to the big bar in the sky... God bless him.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 2:30:53 AM EDT
[#43]

Awesome! I need to make friends with more bikers.

Calling tequila Bob!!!!!!! Yea Bikers can be nice people....and most are pro soldier...You should be in a Rolling Thunder Run... Sleep well SOldier... thank you for your sacrifice
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 2:36:16 AM EDT
[#44]
www.godhatesfags.com  ?

If that wasn't so f**ing ridiculous, it would be laughable.

Talk about a religious hijack................
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 2:49:23 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

+1
I hope this encourages more people to drown out the disrespect show my these type of fools.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 2:53:25 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
www.godhatesfags.com  ?

If that wasn't so f**ing ridiculous, it would be laughable.

Talk about a religious hijack................

What you defending Fags!??? Then you must be a fag! Now go eat some fag faeces you fag!

Only kidding.......   you guys should read that web site, funniest shit i read in a long time. They seem to have a preoccupation with eating a gay mans' excrement.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 2:59:20 AM EDT
[#47]
I liked that the TV news had the sense to give the protesters ZERO airtime.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 3:03:21 AM EDT
[#48]
they were stomping on the flag.   That right there should be a one way ticket out of the country.

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 3:07:16 AM EDT
[#49]
I'd like to see that dirtbag try to sue the guy that finally puts a bullet through his forehead.    
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 3:25:06 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
These people beg for a Molotov cocktail.

Quoted:

Trust me, they are not.

no, tell me. i'm dead serious, this behaviour is so bizarre and their logic is so frigging convoluted as to beggar the imagination. it doesn't make sense for them to be real christians and it would make much more sense if this was a phony group trying to mask their leftist scumbag politics behind the facade of a fundamentalist group.

whoever they are, they really should be strung up.

go harley!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top