Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2003 7:55:32 AM EDT
So I've been riding my road bike lately, and apart from getting flats ALL the time and my ass hurting from the damn seat, I'm liking it and am going to continue doing it.

However, I keep hearing that it's bad for your plumbing and can cause temporary (or permanent) infertility.  I've got no real problem with infertility, since I've got no desire to have kids, but I wondered if that's the only effect.

My question is:  can it also cause impotence (as in erectile dysfunction).  I'm not having any problems now, but I'm wondering if I have anything to worry about down the road?

By the way - if anyone wants to recommend a new bike for me, I'm probably going to get one later this summer - thinking of spending $1000 - $1500.  Hopefully something with shimano ultegra components, and doesn't have to be superlight so possibly a steel frame.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 8:17:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 8:31:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I commute to work 8 or 9 months a year.  15 miles each way, 150 miles a week.  I have 3 kids, and have no problem mustering a salute, if you know what I mean...  There are just as many studies to debunk that premis, as there are studied to affirm it.

If you ride on rougher roads, consider getting a cyclo-cross or touring bike.  The tires are wider, and many offer front suspension, which will make the ride more pallatable.  All my rides are Cannondale, with the exception being my triathlon bike, which is a Cervelo.

I like the C'dales.  Made in USA.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 9:00:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I raced for 8 years, putting in an average of 4-500 miles a week and never had any problems.  Still don't.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 9:05:18 AM EDT
[#4]
first of all, your ass will soon toughen up and the saddle will become as comfy as a barco lounger. your gluts will offer more support as they tighten up.

saddle height and angle should be looked at by very expirienced racers (who spend long hours in the saddle) and let them assist you in dialing it in.

secondly, a relieved saddle (scalloped away/clearanced in the area of the pubis may be of some help, although i never felt the need to try one.

you should shift your hand position on the bars OFTEN as you ride. this will help to rotate your pelvis on the saddle and keep blood flowing to all areas by shifting your weight distribution and contact on the saddle.

thirdly, i started racing at age 18. i'm about to turn 50 and logged anywhere from 2500 to 8000 miles per season with no affect on the ability to sport wood. dunno what my sperm count is, as i never tried to have kids. i can still wear the wife out, so i think i'm 'ok' in the functionality department.

concern yourself more with conditioning and watching out for all the moron, redneck, asshole drivers out on the pavement!

as far as a new machine goes...

there is NOTHING that compares to the ride of italian steel tubes fitted with campagnolo componentry. test ride a pinarello made from columbus slx tubing and equipped with chorus components.

i noticed your complaint about flats. this is normal and the sign of a rider that is pounding out the miles. in one season, i went thru 36 sew-up tires...and am still proud of that (rather expensive) season.

i would suggest switching to sew-ups for several reasons: faster changes on the road, a more lively ride, more responsive accelleration and more efficiency in the rolling resistance department.

do not obsess about shaving a pound off of the bike's frame or components. obsess about saving rotating mass in your wheels and on your body.

may the wind always be at your back, the sun on your shoulders and your sprint be faster than the dog coming out of the yard to chase you!
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 9:23:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Lot's of good advice so far, and I won't repeat it all.  I've raced for years and generally ride 600-1000 miles a year.  Most of that time, I've ridden a Selle Italia Prolink saddle.  I've never had any performance problems.  One piece of advice I would give is to try and avoid really cushy saddles.  All asses vary, so the perfect saddle for you might be different than for someone else.  Just find one that hits your sit bones right.  You don't need lots of padding, just a good fit.  Start with the saddle level and only adjust it a degree or so AFTER you have ridden it to test the angle.

I'll second the vote for Italian steel with Campy components.  At that price point you just can't get an aluminim frame that is really compliant.  The Bianchi Campione d'Italia might be worth a look.  I ride a CAAD 7 C-dale frame with Campy Record.  It is aluminum, but very compliant.  I started racing on an old Schwinn Paramount (steel) and it is still one of the better riding bikes I've owned.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 9:36:55 AM EDT
[#6]
According to the studies I have read, impotence may be linked to recreational biking.  This is supposedly caused by seat design which causes compression of the penile arteries.

Fertility problems have been associated with "extreme" bikers.  This would be bikers who log at least 3000 miles per year (or 2 hours a day, 6 days per week).  It has been suggested that this is caused by frequent jolts and vibrations. Extreme bikers should consider investing in bikes with shock absorbers or suspension systems designed to reduce the jolting.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 9:41:41 AM EDT
[#7]
my ass hurting from the damn seat, I'm liking it.
View Quote
[;D]

Sorry I couldnt help myself

I used to ride 100 + miles a week and half was off road never had any problem.

The flat thing could be normal depending on miles and road conditions. Make sure you running the right air pressure for the tire.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 9:48:56 AM EDT
[#8]
[b]Extreme bikers should consider investing in bikes with shock absorbers or suspension systems designed to reduce the jolting.[/b]

too much absorbtion of energy. a human only has 'x' output in watts and no "extreme" (i.e. hardcore/serious) cyclist would contemplate expending energy in so wastefull a fashion.

all energy is to be used for propelling the machine forward and faster.

edit:

only in the most brutal of road races, such as the pave sections (roman era cobblestones) will riders use shock absorbing stems, preferring only a softer frame and regulating tire pressures down a few pounds. upon transitioning to smooth pavement, thses riders ditch their 'wasteful' machines and change back onto a conventional bike.

one can LEARN to ride bumpy or rough roads, also. from shifting ome's weight to standing up and pedalling to 'jumping' the bike over holes/bumps, there are numerous techniques to smooth the road out.

again, i can't emphasize the need to constantly change one's position on the bike strongly enough. closely watch the professionals...even the breakaway riders, working hard to put time on the peloton, will shift positions as they work the pace line.

comfortable hours in the saddle is the result of both conditioning AND smart technique.  
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 9:51:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Was a bike cop for 3 years until recently,  10 hour days on a Trek and later, a Gary Fisher.

No problem in that area,  though it took me 2 months to finally find a saddle that fit right.

Right now I  could go to the shop where there must be 40 different styles of seat hanging on the rack.  I'm convinced most of this"Impotence" talk is simply a shrewd marketing campaign.  (What makes a bike seat worth 130$ is a mystery to me)

Look at other problems, such as shoulder fatigue, back pain, etc for a poor seat fit as well.  Get fitted to the bike, any decent shop should be able to do this.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 9:54:06 AM EDT
[#10]

I ride 1500-2000 miles a year. No problems.
There are some good seats out there that can help take the pressure off of that area. The problem is you'll probably have to try a few before you find one that you'll really like.

I hate flat tires. Some years I have a lot, some not I tried kevlar tires and got a flat the very next day.

Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:02:52 AM EDT
[#11]
[b](What makes a bike seat worth 130$ is a mystery to me)[/b]

titanium rails, carbon fibre shell, finely detailed italian leather.

for saddles, nothing beats a sella san marco concor profile...at least in the nsho of my ass.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:19:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:23:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
[b]Extreme bikers should consider investing in bikes with shock absorbers or suspension systems designed to reduce the jolting.[/b]

too much absorbtion of energy. a human only has 'x' output in watts and no "extreme" (i.e. hardcore/serious) cyclist would contemplate expending energy in so wastefull a fashion.
View Quote

CAMPYBOB you werent talking about us mountain biker now were you ? Cuz I like my travel front and rear and I like it smooth and long.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:28:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Lot of good stuff so far...on the flatting problem, all I can say is determine the root cause.  Lately I have been having flats from disintegrated steel belt frags...you cannot see these on the road but the culprit is easily determined from the hole it leaves in the tube...please don't discard your tubes on the side of the road.  The only solution here is a stronger tire or liners.

I will have to disagree with the Campy man as current Shimano is every bit as good as the equivalent Campy stuff.  Sorry Bob, you were right in the past but Shimano has made great strides.  Also, good rims with Continental tires are faster than sew-ups on repair and do not have the insecurity of a field swapped tire.

Again, dittos on the rolling stock.  My home-assembled wheelset weighs in at 1250 grams...and is good enough for daily use by a 170 pound rider.  Swapping from a 1600 gram set made a world of difference in acceleration and feel except for the decrease in stability...IM me if you want to know more.

I will agree with Campy Bob on the steel frame...I have an Italian Columbus TSX frame that is perfect for anything longer than 80 miles.  My CAAD 4 C-Dale is a feather (14.5 lbs with cages, pedals and tape) but on longer rides or on 'crete, its a bit too much.

On saddles, both surfaces need to be broken in.  Unfortunately it can be painful.  If you have ANY loss of feeling in the man-tool department, you have a SERIOUS problem so see a professional.  If you never lose feeling, chances are you are doing no damage.

Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:31:01 AM EDT
[#15]
lol baddog!

mountain biking...you mean that sport where you remove the motor from a cross-bike and dodge trees and rocks? heheheh!

in my area, depending on terrain and course, most guys i know (that ride the dirt) will try to take their rigids out and keep the forks pumped up and solid as possible. once you hit the wild shit, nothing beats dual suspension, though. for climbing...hard tail. for fast descending...softail rules.

Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:36:09 AM EDT
[#16]
For $1500 check out the Motobecane (mow, tow, bee, con, eee) They have full Ultegra for under 1500. All columbus aluminum tubes. Best bang for the buck you will find.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:45:44 AM EDT
[#17]
So I woke up at 2AM once in college. I reallly had to pee. When I started it felt like fire so I stopped and got a jelly jar I used as a glass. When I finished I turned on the lights to take a look suspecting it might be cloudy. It looked like sour milk, ya know thick, white, a little yellow fluid mixed with clotty white stuff. I was unhappy. At 6AM I went to the nurse's station at the school and they immediately sent me to the STD guy. They wouldn't even touch the jar. They probably thought I had the clap. The Dr. asked me if I had a steady girl and did I ride. Yep. I had a choice then, lay off the Ninja or lay off the Betty. I went home that night and said, "Honey, I have some bad news."
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:49:22 AM EDT
[#18]
I sought this advise from the AR15.com army several months ago.  This is what i ended up getting.  
A 2002 Lemond tourmelet For $950.
[img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/57638/lemond.JPG [/img]

My only regret is that i purchased the double  instead of the tripple.

I also highly suggest after purchase you get your ride professionaly fitted for you.

Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:12:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Since your around campybob I have a question for you?

I'm very seriously thinking of upgrading my shimano 105 double to a triple.

Is it possible to retrofit one? Or am i going to have to get a whole new gruppo?

Toss me a message when you get the chance.

[edit for spelling]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:13:25 AM EDT
[#20]
nice touring rig, luger! is that one built by merckx?
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:27:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
nice touring rig, luger! is that one built by merckx?
View Quote

Merckx? "Je souhaite", [:D]

Its one of Mr. Lemond's mass produced rides.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:49:09 AM EDT
[#22]
I've been mountain biking (racing and rec) for over ten years. For over 4 years I was logging 100-150 miles a week. My stuff works fine. Padded shorts, male specific saddle, and a suspension post should keep everything working like normal.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:53:18 AM EDT
[#23]
There's a reason it's called the [b]Tour de France[/b]

SGtar15
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:53:36 AM EDT
[#24]
fast eddie! the cannibal!

mon dieux! a lemond built in taiwan?

Link Posted: 5/9/2003 12:10:40 PM EDT
[#25]
I am still hoping for infertility.

It keeps me riding!
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 12:12:01 PM EDT
[#26]
I shoot blanks.

I ride about 75-100 miles a week. Raced for about 5 years and rode 175-250 miles per week during that time. I'm starting to think that the fact that I shoot blanks has more to do with my vasectomy and less to do with my riding.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 12:29:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
fast eddie! the cannibal!

mon dieux! a lemond built in taiwan?

View Quote

Thats new to me, I thought they were built in Waterloo Wisconsin [>:/]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top