Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2010 6:48:58 PM EDT
What would one need to do to drive a 6x6 deuce as a daily driver, or something like an older day cab semi truck. I am looking for one with a 9 speed, with a jake. From what I can tell I wouldn't need a cdl. What about insurance though?
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:49:53 PM EDT
I have a deuce daily driver. Geico insured.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:49:56 PM EDT
Not need but awesome

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:51:07 PM EDT
Have fun finding a parking spot. I barely fit into some of the parking garages around here with a 4x4 F150.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:54:54 PM EDT
Driven a duece, driven a five-ton, driven the Humvee. You can have them all. I want a UNIMOG!!
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:56:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/7/2010 6:58:11 PM EDT by sav_carguy]
Originally Posted By Chromekilla:
What would one need to do to drive a 6x6 deuce as a daily driver, or something like an older day cab semi truck. I am looking for one with a 9 speed, with a jake. From what I can tell I wouldn't need a cdl. What about insurance though?

Check your state laws if you're looking in to getting a semi tractor. In many states , if the vehicle , as manufactured , is rated to pull more than a certain maximum towed load , a CDL is required for operation , regardless of "not for hire" status or whether you actually pull anything with it.

Deuce and a half 6x6 trucks are usually good to go without a CDL , but 5ton 6x6 trucks are usually not.

Disclaimer - - I only really know GA laws on this subject , so I'm sure my info doesn't exactly apply to some other states.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:12:58 PM EDT
Originally Posted By sav_carguy:

Check your state laws if you're looking in to getting a semi tractor. In many states , if the vehicle , as manufactured , is rated to pull more than a certain maximum towed load , a CDL is required for operation , regardless of "not for hire" status or whether you actually pull anything with it.

Deuce and a half 6x6 trucks are usually good to go without a CDL , but 5ton 6x6 trucks are usually not.

Disclaimer - - I only really know GA laws on this subject , so I'm sure my info doesn't exactly apply to some other states.

BTW this is for Oregon. So how much would a deuce cost to insure. BTW in regards to everything I have the potential to register it for Farm Use. Would this get me in trouble for a daily driver, provided I threw some hay in the back and said I was out taking stuff to the ranch?
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:36:05 PM EDT

This man is correct.

For a day cab tractor, odds are you WILL need a Class A Commercial Drivers License. It is not about what you may or may not use it for, it is about what it is designed for. Generally, one could drive a deuce sans CDL. The only state am aware of that requires a CDL for the military vehicles is California.

Get a surplus military truck. They are AWESOME!
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:50:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/7/2010 7:52:19 PM EDT by AR_DairyFarmer]

BTW this is for Oregon. So how much would a deuce cost to insure. BTW in regards to everything I have the potential to register it for Farm Use. Would this get me in trouble for a daily driver, provided I threw some hay in the back and said I was out taking stuff to the ranch?

No. Talk to your DMV about registration options, as there will likely be several. Be sure to investigate each thoroughly. For example, registering as a commercial vehicle is expensive, but registering as an antique or collectible often places severe restricts on use. I know of a couple guys on the Steel Soldiers forum from my state that registered their trucks as pick ups with a high gross weight.

Insurance is pretty cheap once you find someone that is willing to insure. I've heard that is is a couple hundred a year for most guys.

Be careful about this as well. I've read on Steel Soldiers that some insurance companies will place mileage restrictions on the policy, require it to be stored indoors (with photos as proof), prohibit towing, etc.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:53:19 PM EDT
my Deuce insurance is $100 a year.....
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:55:09 PM EDT
what you would need in one word.... FUEL and lots of it
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:57:04 PM EDT
Originally Posted By AR_DairyFarmer:

This man is correct.

For a day cab tractor, odds are you WILL need a Class A Commercial Drivers License. It is not about what you may or may not use it for, it is about what it is designed for. Generally, one could drive a deuce sans CDL. The only state am aware of that requires a CDL for the military vehicles is California.

Get a surplus military truck. They are AWESOME!

In Montana, you can register it as an RV, then ANYBODY with a class "C" and no air break endorsement can drive one. I find it both and at the same time.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:57:20 PM EDT
my truck pulls about 10 mpg around town but eats it on the highway
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:57:56 PM EDT
A 6 figure income to afford the gas...
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:11:57 PM EDT
Originally Posted By aztrooper:
A 6 figure income to afford the gas...

Interestingly enough my dodge v6 gets 14 mpg high way and 10 city. Insurance is insane, no 4x4 btw so I figure why not at least get my monies worth drive something cool, that can pull a whole bunch if need be. BTW cousin is a cat/diesel mechanic and has offered to fix my truck for me, provided I buy the beer so that works out. I've spent lots of hours helping him.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:31:59 PM EDT
I had a Deuce...not as a DD, but I did drive it at least once a week to work and always on the weekends. Due to reliablity and age of parts (brake system components mainly...13k lbs is a lot to stop) I would not DD one.

But, I DO want to own another one. I sold mine like a dumbass early last year to put a down payment on something reliable, and a little more practical.

No CDL or special license needed in VA, I used Antuqie tags to avoid inspections and such, and insurance was only $30 for me (I was 21 at the time).
Top Top