Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/1/2007 10:30:28 AM EDT
Soon after we get back from Holiday break in early January, it will be time to submit our "dream sheets" basically our list of what airplane we want to fly and where we want to go fly it.  My #1 is solid and so is my #2, but beyond that it's really murky and where I need advice.

Right now my #1 is C-17 to Charleston AFB, SC, and #2 is C-17 to Elmandorf AFB, AK.  from what I've seen and heard lately, Alaska is closed due to overmanning, so it's very realistic that it's off the table, thus making my #3 choice my defacto #1.  Anyway, here are the options I'm considering for #3 and #4, just not sure on what order to put them.

C-17 Dover AFB, DE
C-17 McChord AFB, WA

After that will most likely be C-5's to Dover, then ????  Kind of out of good options from there, and open to suggestions.  Here are the airframes I'm qualified for.  Has to be an active duty base (or least an active duty unit, regardless of base).

C-5
C-17
C-21
KC-135
KC-10
RC-135
E-3
E-8
T-1
T-6

I'd like to stay out of AWACS and JSTARS because the mission does not interest me one bit.  I would prefer any C jet to any KC jet, but not if it meant going to California or New Jersey (would take a KC-135 to Kansas before a C-17 to New Jersey).

Other factors to consider-- I'm married, no kids.  Wife has a BS in Marine Biology and would like to pursue that as a career if possible, but also has been teaching HS Science and could continue doing that if no marine biology jobs are available.

Needs of the Air Force do not apply at this point.  This is me telling the AF what I want, and then the AF trying to work with my preferences in accordance with the needs of the AF, hence why this is called a "dream sheet".

So what's the suggestion?
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:34:22 AM EDT
[#1]
This one would be kind of cool .......

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:34:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:35:33 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
This one would be kind of cool .......

farm2.static.flickr.com/1386/1256798440_ddb573505d.jpg?v=0

Looks like a sex toy.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:41:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:44:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 11:01:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I recently went to Hooters with a childhood friend of my wife's who just got done flying C-17's.  How's that for an authoritative source, eh?  He was back in town visiting family.

I'm not sure what his mission was, I'm not sure where he based out of.  I do know that he was offered a very nice bonus to walk away with two more years on his contract.  He took it, and he's expecting to do quite well in commercial aviation.

He was a very nice guy.  Sounded like he enjoyed himself, that's for sure.

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 11:02:44 AM EDT
[#8]
This sounds kinda dumb, but what I do is put choices into a spreadsheet based on the platform, the job (may not be applicable to you), and the location. Then I simply rate them on a scale of 1 to whatever. The choices with the lowest scores are the ones I put on my dreamsheet. For location, I let my wife rank them, and then I rank them as well. It does a fairly good job of balancing her wants and my wants.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 11:04:38 AM EDT
[#9]
KC-10 then when the AF Figher mafia has a C drawdown you can go to fedex
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 11:05:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Sir, while I don't know squat about what airplanes and the missions they fly there I would take a serious look at Mildenhall AFB in the UK.  I really liked living and working in Europe at .gov expense, and the UK would be some real choice duty IMHO.  Look into it.  Ramstein and Frankfurt am Mein in Ge. would also be top picks IMHO.  7zero1, out.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 11:05:11 AM EDT
[#11]
bump so the man can get an answer.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 11:06:56 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
KC-10 then when the AF Figher mafia has a C drawdown you can go to fedex

+1, with your posts and sad rants here you seem like a GUCCI boy
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 11:07:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 11:58:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Assuming you want to live in a gun free state (hence the dislike for NJ and CA) I guess HI is off the list as well.

#1 C-17 Charleston
#2 C-17 Elmandorf (IIRC US Military have a standing order in AK preventing them from CCWing off base)
#3 RC-135 Offutt
#4 C-17 McChord

Switch 3 and 4 if you are set on the C-17.

I tend to think a RC-135 mission profile would be more interesting for the flight crew than E-3/E-8/KC-135.

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 12:19:16 PM EDT
[#15]
No C-130 types in your drop?  We had a slick and a gunship in our drop, yes, out of T-1s.

Might wanna learn to spell "Elmendorf" correctly, too.  

Don't rule out McGuire (for the -10 and -17), you don't have to live in NJ.  I think my roommate from Vance is actually living in PA, not NJ.

Go for the 10, 17, or 5.  Even the 21 is cool.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 12:22:01 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
No C-130 types in your drop?  We had a slick and a gunship in our drop, yes, out of T-1s.

Might wanna learn to spell "Elmendorf" correctly, too.  

Don't rule out McGuire (for the -10 and -17), you don't have to live in NJ.  I think my roommate from Vance is actually living in PA, not NJ.

Go for the 10, 17, or 5.  Even the 21 is cool.

yeah, if you want to fly the generals on their puddle jump missions! LOL

that is a pimp little plane though, the special ones for dignitaries are fuggin awesome.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 12:25:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

yeah, if you want to fly the generals on their puddle jump missions! LOL

that is a pimp little plane though, the special ones for dignitaries are fuggin awesome.

The people I've known that have flown it never had anything bad to say.  Plus, another type rating you get for free.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 12:44:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Justin-- havn't gotten our official drop, i'm just going with what "usually" comes down.  There are rarely C-130's to be had out of the T-1 drop these days, they've been tracking a lot more people to T-44's instead, usually 4-6 per class.

I'm pretty set on the C-17 airframe.  I like the mission and the airplane itself seems like a SWEET ride.  

Never thought of living across the border and working in NJ, i'd have to look into that if I got stuck in NJ...

I'm set on not wanting an E or RC jet if possible.  Don't like professional holding if I can avoid it.  Of all the circle flying jets I think I'd take tankers first, and KC-135's first of the tankers because IMO they have a much more appealing mission.

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 1:01:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Go for McChord. Seriously.

I spent most of my MAC/AMC career on the west coast at Norton, with the last two spent at McGuire. Stay the hell away from ANY east coast base if you can help it. But if you must pick one, Charleston has the best reputation.

McGuire is well known as being supremely fucked up. Everyone I knew from Norton who wound up at McGuire when Norton closed hated it with a passion.

West coast bases definitely take better care of their crews. Plus, flying the Orient and Down Under beats the piss outta Europe, Mideast, and Africa. Big difference between sitting on a beach in crew rest somewhere paying a buck or less for a beer, versus dealing with euro-weenies and outrageous european prices for everything.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top