Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/10/2005 8:29:08 AM EDT
The FFL who sold me on Swift said it shoots circles around the crap brands and thier warranty dept was so good that people have pulled swifts out of the trash and received replacements for turning them in. Yeah my BS flag too, but it was time to put that to the test. I have a model 656 (3-9 x 40) riflescope for my 10/22 that lost the windage knob when the rifle fell after someone rested it against the wall. Swift replaced it with a brand new 656 in 7 business days, fed ex... no snail mail, and they answered my request for status/shipping info immediately. If you have a fun gun that needs a cheap, quality optic give them a try.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:48:10 AM EDT
Now that's what I like to hear!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:49:12 AM EDT
Swift is a decent company, and their scopes are pretty good to boot. I like em.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:12:48 AM EDT
I have 3 swift scopes. Good scope for the money. I really like them.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:05:32 PM EDT
Warrantee is no good if you have to use it. With a scope like a Swift, you will use it over and over and over.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:15:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TacticalMan:
Warrantee is no good if you have to use it. With a scope like a Swift, you will use it over and over and over.

Wow, that was profoundly stupid. The fact of the matter was that Swift, like many other companies offers a LIMITED lifetime warranty, which DOES NOT cover accidental damage. Clearly this fell beyond their obligation to repair/replace, but they did so regardless, no questions asked. This was apost about their customer service which was way above par in my case.

As for your "pearl of wisdom", I can't imagine any of us who would take a lifetime warranty on a POS over a flawless indestructible product without warranty, but where in life do we have that assurance/knowledge. Even though I am not the most avid and demanding shooter, I have never had a problem with the scope in terms of normal operation.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:19:10 AM EDT
Sorry you took that personally.

Low priced scopes are junk. Period.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:33:15 AM EDT

Sorry you took that personally.

Low priced scopes are junk. Period.

define "low priced" and "junk". Do you have any personal experience with Swift scopes?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:34:35 AM EDT

Originally Posted By pulpsmack:
The FFL who sold me on Swift said it shoots circles around the crap brands...

I thought the purpose of a scope was to help you put all the bullets through the same hole, not in circles around the target.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:35:16 AM EDT
Why isn't this thread getting moved to the scope section like all the religious threads do?

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:35:21 AM EDT
tag

I have blown a large wad on my AR and I need a new scope for the .270 before deer season.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:47:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By sgtar15:
Why isn't this thread getting moved to the scope section like all the religious threads do?

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:56:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By sgtar15:

Sgat1r5

Got tired of complaining about the womens forum, and moved onto the next cause, didja ?

Or just adding to your list of things to complain about ?

Guess when you're a big boy and have your own site someday, you can put stuff wherever you like.......
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:58:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/11/2005 7:01:47 AM EDT by TacticalMan]

Originally Posted By Fenian:

define "low priced" and "junk". Do you have any personal experience with Swift scopes?

I have a drawer full of junk scopes. Tasco, Simmons, Bushnell, Nichols, Redfield, and a Swift. Plus a Sightron that has been back twice and is currently being tested to see if it will hold up this time.

Sorry if your favorite brand is in there, but all these scopes are utter crap. Most have made the trip to the factories not once, but several times. I usually keep returning them until the amount of postage or repair costs gets close to the retail price of the scope.

I don't think it's necessary for me to give any lessons in how scopes fail. I'll just say that among these scopes, just about every failure type is represented.

I'm not going to tell you what scope to get either. You can do a little research on your own and find out what scopes are actually decent.

BTW, if any of those quality scopes I have in my drawer grabs your attention, they are for sale.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:59:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By VTHOKIESHOOTER:
tag

I have blown a large wad on my AR and I need a new scope for the .270 before deer season.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:00:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By JB69:

Or just adding to your list of things to complain about ?

I added it to my list. You see, when I see a wrong I try to correct it instead of just ignoring it and hoping it will go away.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:02:23 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BeetleBailey:

tag

I have blown a large wad of money on my AR and I need a new scope for the .270 before deer season.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:05:51 AM EDT

tag

If you need a cheap-ass scope that actually works, look for a fixed power scope from one of the better makers.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:07:36 AM EDT

tag

If you need a cheap-ass scope that actually works, look for a fixed power scope from one of the better makers.

Yeah you know, I have been burned on buying "cheap" scopes as well. After I bought a Nikon I have been sold on quality optics........I will pass on the Swift as well.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:56:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/11/2005 7:59:58 AM EDT by John_Wayne777]
Quality is in the eye of the beholder....

Will a Swift scope be my first choice on that expensive European mountain goat hunt? Will I use it to top off my Blaser rifle?

Probably not.

Will I have it on my rifle to go hunt bad guys in Afghanistan?

Probably not.

But will it work just fine for varnmint and/or deer hunting here in the US? Will it work on my Remington 700?

Darn skippy it will.

My Simmons scope is a pretty good scope for the money. I have seen Leupolds that went Tango Uniform and Redfield scopes that you just can't bust. Brand name is not necessarily an indication that any individual scope will be good or bad.

Swift scopes are decent scopes for the money, and their company is a pretty good one. I personally prefer the clarity of my Simmons varnmint scope to that of my buddy's Swift, but he has killed a lot more groundhogs than I have with his Swift/Ruger combo.

If you are looking for a scope at a decent price that will do what 90% of us need a scope to do, a Swift is a decent option.

If you are a super-fastidious distance shooter or a military/LEO sniper then you already know what you need anyway.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:01:21 AM EDT

I have a drawer full of junk scopes. Tasco, Simmons, Bushnell, Nichols, Redfield, and a Swift. Plus a Sightron that has been back twice and is currently being tested to see if it will hold up this time.

Sorry if your favorite brand is in there, but all these scopes are utter crap. Most have made the trip to the factories not once, but several times. I usually keep returning them until the amount of postage or repair costs gets close to the retail price of the scope.

I don't think it's necessary for me to give any lessons in how scopes fail. I'll just say that among these scopes, just about every failure type is represented.

I'm not going to tell you what scope to get either. You can do a little research on your own and find out what scopes are actually decent.

BTW, if any of those quality scopes I have in my drawer grabs your attention, they are for sale.

just send them to me, I'll throw them out for you
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:02:37 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:01:27 PM EDT

Damn...it sounds like you might be a little harder on scopes than I am. I just punch paper and plink, and so far the Simmons scopes I've tried haven't let me down yet. Now, ALL of these scopes are on .22s or .223s. I wouldn't put a $50 scope on a .375 Weatherby Magnum and expect it to last.
Top Top