Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2012 3:26:56 PM EDT
So I'm flippin' through the channels and I land on The History Channel.
Big Shrimpin' is on and since I've never watched it, I pause for a moment.

Do these show producers look for the most hick people they can find on purpose?
I'm from the south, born and raised, but I really needed the subtitles to figure out what was being said.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:28:49 PM EDT
[#1]
There are parts in LA that are so far back you have to pipe in daylight.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:28:54 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I'm from the south, born and raised, but I really needed the subtitles to figure out what was being said.
Grew up in South Louisiana, spent time on a shrimp boat out of Hopedale, LA...and none of the folks I worked with were nearly as herpity derpity as those guys.

I am really starting to hate these shows.

CVN

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:29:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Are they from LA?
I thought these guys were out of 'Bama.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:31:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Why yes- yes they do.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:33:17 PM EDT
[#5]
It doesn't take teeth or education to pull the head off a shrimp.  I love the show.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:35:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I just want to know where the guy with a mouth full of chew is spitting
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:38:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

When I was workin' at the Shell refinery we had a couple crews of SE's [scaffold erectors] from La. Really, really hard to understand
over a radio. Excellent workers tho.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:48:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I was workin' at the Shell refinery we had a couple crews of SE's [scaffold erectors] from La. Really, really hard to understand
over a radio. Excellent workers tho.

I spent 14 years in most of the power plants in the south. I've probably run across those same crews you're talking about.

(Do you know what Davey Crockett's last words at the Alamo were?
"Who called all these scaffold builders?")
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:51:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I watched one episode and couldn't help but be amazed I needed subtitles for people speaking english.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:08:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Of course they find the most backward, incompetent people they can find. It makes for good TV. Real life work is boring and has absolutley no entertainment value... except for the bubbas. Look at your own work place; is watching someone who knows wht he's doing good entertinment for more than a few minutes?

As for speaking the language, I don't which program is worse- Big Shrimpers or Swamp Loggers. It is a sad story to need to read subtitles for someone who is alledgedly speaking english!
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:11:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyone south of the Mason-Dixson it is a total redneck, toothless sob.  Except for all the hot chicks.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:11:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I know, I did the same thing.  I hardly ever watch tv, but I was surfing today an landed on "big shrimpin"

I know these hillbillys exist, everybody should know.  And it is pretty cool seeing these guys doing what they do.  But, I've had enough of hillbillys "shrimpin" hillbillys "catchin Gators" hillbillys "shootin/makin game changin gunz" hillbillys "catchin critters(live action)" hillbillys "exterminators" hillbillys "cage fightin"

I mean WTF.  Its ok that all sub-species of neanderthals, cro-magna cave men are represented.  But a little bit goes a long way.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:12:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Anyone south of the Mason-Dixson it is a total redneck, toothless sob.  Except for all the hot chicks.

We like them to be toothless.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:44:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Dixson?   Never-mind You're from fucking Ohio,     I'll give you a break.
In their defense......Northerners are pretty boring.  I really doubt "Big ice fishing" would get the same ratings.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:50:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Of course they find the most backward, incompetent people they can find. It makes for good TV. Real life work is boring and has absolutley no entertainment value... except for the bubbas. Look at your own work place; is watching someone who knows wht he's doing good entertinment for more than a few minutes?

It does not have to be this way.  Mike Rowe of Dirty Jobs doesn't play the hick fool each episode.  But there aren't a lot of Mike Rowes out there.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:52:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Dixson?   Never-mind You're from fucking Ohio,     I'll give you a break.

In their defense......Northerners are pretty boring.  I really doubt "Big ice fishing" would get the same ratings.

Look, we're just happy there are plenty of FL/LA/GA/MS rednecks to supply all the hill-jack reality TV market, otherwise they'd have to come poking around rural Ohio, and God, man, nobody wants to see that.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:56:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It does not have to be this way.  Mike Rowe of Dirty Jobs doesn't play the hick fool each episode.  But there aren't a lot of Mike Rowes out there.

No, it does not have to be that way.  One of the nice things about the oil field is that you have a lot of people with a well-developed sense of humor.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:09:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Grew up in South Louisiana, spent time on a shrimp boat out of Hopedale, LA...and none of the folks I worked with were nearly as herpity derpity as those guys.

I am really starting to hate these shows.

CVN

Dang... thought I was the only arfcommer from Da Parish.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top