Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2004 4:02:03 PM EDT
I live in Washington state, so its fairly normal to have bears in the deep woods, but my neighbor spotted a 300-400lb Black bear roaming the area, which is very bad- theres kids running around and whatever. So I guess if I see it, I'll call animal control with one hand and load Fal magazines with the other. I'd hate to get in trouble for shooting a bear in city limits. Crap- Whats a to do?
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 4:03:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Scream " Oh my God, Its comming right for us!"

then shoot
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 4:04:57 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Scream " Oh my God, Its comming right for us!"

then shoot

but make sure there are neighbors / witnesses who can hear you
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 4:05:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 4:06:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Remember all those times you coulden't justify to your wife purchasing one of these baby's?  Well nows the time!
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 4:06:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Leave it be.  Keep the trash up and he won't be back.  Black bears are pretty timid, I wouldn't worry about the kids.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 4:14:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Call Fish and Game.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 4:21:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I was about twelve and there was black bear in our front yard. I called my Dad, an LEO and he said stay inside till it goes away. I think it still applies.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 4:25:43 PM EDT
[#8]
We have black bears showing up in subdivisions around here 2 or 3 times a year.  Fish & Wildlife sets traps and releases them in the boonies.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 4:31:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Yea, deny them food sources and stay inside.  Hell, tell him to take some pictures.  It's not every day suburbanites see something that could eat them
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 4:32:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Keep trash and food stuff locked up and out of sight and smell.  Most likely it's looking for food.  Here's the deal though, some tree huggers might decide to feed the cute bear.  This cute bear can run 35mph, is stronger than the fucking bionic man and when it finds a food source will continue to visit, ripping apart grills, garbage cans, and coolers to find goodies.  Then it starts seeing humans as competition rather than something to be scared of and confrontation is imminent.  At that point the bear will be trapped and taken away, it might return but probably not, if it does it might end up with a slug from the F&W dept in it's head.

I know that there's one thing to remember regarding black bears, normally they are timid and shy but unlike othe rbear species they do not respond well to the "play dead" guise.  Most references reccomend that you do what ever you can to escape, kill or otherwise stop a black bear from attackijg you once the attack has begun.  From what I understand, they are responsible for the bulk of human/bear attacks.

They are however one of the most beautiful animals in existance.  I am planning to hunt them up in Lycoming Co. this fall.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 4:43:26 PM EDT
[#11]
simmer some honey on the stove for your upcoming baking project.   fry up some bacon for dinner, put the grease outside the backdoor so you don't start a fire in the house.   Keep your Fal loaded and close by, just in case some random crime happens and you can defend yourself.

Link Posted: 5/10/2004 4:44:01 PM EDT
[#12]
what area of WA do you live in?

Link Posted: 5/10/2004 4:45:38 PM EDT
[#13]
commit to ensuring the continued robustness of the human speciesby sneaking up from behind and poking it with a stick

Link Posted: 5/10/2004 4:45:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
From what I understand, they are responsible for the bulk of human/bear attacks.

I think you are wrong.   The grizzly/ brown/ kodiak is the human attacker, unless you are counting broken cars and back packs in yosemite nat park
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 4:46:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
commit to ensuring the continued robustness of the human speciesby sneaking up from behind and poking it with a stick

lol
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 4:46:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Unless the bear attacks you or attacks someone then you can't shoot it.  Unfortunately by the time you shoot it, it most likely will have killed the person it attacks, or seriously maimed them.

We had a cougar running around near my place here not to long ago.  I called animal control and fish & wildlife (who never did shit by the way) about it.  They told me unless it attacks someone you can't shoot it.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 4:47:13 PM EDT
[#17]
TANNERITE!!!

(Had too )
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 5:22:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Get all the soccer moms and kids in the neighborhood to watch and then wound it.  then in your best safari voice "The Great White Hunter would never allow a wounded animal to suffer.  Cover me boys I'm going in."  

or let it flop around in the street until it bleeds out through a gut shot and broken leg.

Whatever impresses them the most with maximum audience traume.

that or call the PD and Fish & Game.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 5:26:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Leave it alone.  Call DEP or Fish and Game to get the bear if it looks sick.  Move your garbage away from the house.

If the bear threatens your family, plug it.  .308 but it better be a good shot or you will piss off the bear.    Otherwise see above.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 5:27:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I've encountered many black bear on elk hunts in CO.  Hell once I shot one over a 'trash dump' with a bow.  It was a 'controlled kill', kinda cheating if you ask me.  Anyway when I climbed down out of my tree about three more showed up.  I think black bears are more scared of you and don't look at humans as a food source.  Even most grizzlys will avoid humans at all cost.  It's the coastal 'meat eaters' in AK that you need to worry about
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 5:32:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Ya know, they do like twinkies and hostess ho ho's
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 7:22:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Big...

Big bear...

BIG BEAR CHASE ME!!!

God I love that movie!
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 7:27:21 PM EDT
[#23]
I would take pictures.  No reason to go Rambo on a poor bear.

Link Posted: 5/10/2004 7:27:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Waiting for pictures....
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 7:35:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Bad advice all around except to look bigger than you are ,and never run from a black bear(or any other bear) be agressive and he might go away!  Black bears even at two hundred pounds can just have there way with you!

Bears are bad JOJO and should be concedered very deadly!

Do as you must but keep your children inside if you see a 300-400 lb black bear around your house!    And yes a .308 will do the job ,if you do yours!

Bob
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 7:56:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Obviously steer clear.  If he comes too close, make a loud noise of some kind to scare him off before trying to shoot him.  He is what we call a problem bear, who has come to rely on civilization to subsist.  He doesn't fear humans anymore.  He will get more and more bold in his foraging as he remains in the area.  However, he will not be confrontational or aggressive unless cornered or provoked.  If you "bump" into him and corner him accidentally, make yourself as large and loud as possible, this should scare him off.  If you live somewhere with animal control officers, I would call the State Fish and Wildlife people first.  The animal control people may or may not know how to deal with this situation, and if they don't, it could be a mess all around.  The Wildlife guys will probably trap it and relocate it.  Problem bears usually end up being killed because they continue their pattern of not fearing humans and continue to cause problems.   Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 8:08:59 PM EDT
[#27]
YES!!!!!!

Washington crew mission: Bear Hunt

Bigscrun
2WP
1GR
JAFO
CavVet

we should be able to handle it!  just have beer, lots of beer.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 8:09:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Please use something bigger OR more accurate than an FAL.  For the love of Darwin!
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 9:46:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Big...

Big bear...

BIG BEAR CHASE ME!!!

ya a funny funny movie !

i would shoot the bear .

Link Posted: 5/10/2004 9:51:45 PM EDT
[#30]
12ga slug gun? or a remote controld helocoper with a bunch of tanerite haning under it and then fly it over the bear and shoot the tanerite
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 11:45:58 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Please use something bigger OR more accurate than an FAL.  For the love of Darwin!

well, it has a new Wilson barrel- super accurate out to 300+!
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 12:22:54 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
www.barrettrifles.com/images/front_rifles.jpg

Remember all those times you coulden't justify to your wife purchasing one of these baby's?  Well nows the time!

AH! THAT's what 'BMG' stands for - 'Bear & Moose Gun'
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:26:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:36:39 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm thinking along the lines of a .45-70, .45-90, .45-110

Ah hell...use a .22 and see how fast he can run...until he catches you.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:42:07 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I'm thinking along the lines of a .45-70, .45-90, .45-110

Ah hell...use a .22 and see how fast he can run...until he catches you.

A coworker of mine was stationed in Alaska for several years. He claimed he carried a .22 pistol for bear medicine when he went fishing. When his fishing partner would say "you can't shoot a bear with that!" He would tell him "It's not for the bear."
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:45:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Two choices:

Eat him and use his hide as a rug or call animal control to take him back to the woods.

Black bears are normally not violent but are burglars supreme when it comes to food.  Where I live we have an abundance in the mountians and green tourists out the kazoo and have only had one death attributed to black bear in 14 years.    

Now scarfing a picnic basket is a different story.

Tj
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:53:26 AM EDT
[#37]
An FAL should be more than sufficient.  Twenty or Forty rounds of .308 should do the job.  Nothing wrong with being thorough.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:30:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:36:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Go down to the animal shelter and get some cats. " Crunchy like fried chicken "
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:29:26 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
YES!!!!!!

Washington crew mission: Bear Hunt

Bigscrun
2WP
1GR
JAFO
CavVet

we should be able to handle it!  just have beer, lots of beer.

You mispelled beer.  And I think most of those boys are bourbon drinkers anyways.

TRG

We weren't talking about Beer? Shit I am out!
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:39:28 AM EDT
[#41]
This works for only a few people like myself.  .  .  .

I always have a few LOUD! fireworks left over from 4th of July celebrations.
I'm being circumspect here because this is the Internet, But you know the type.
The kind your Father or GrandFather toldja they could buy in the 'good olde' days.  

I would light off one of those and toss it near, but not close to the bear. It would run, believe me.

I've done something similar to scare off coyotes that are prowling & howling about the neighborhood at night.  Works every time. Only downside, leaves a little crater in the lawn.
Small price to pay for peace & quiet!

Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:03:47 AM EDT
[#42]
I suggest you slather honey on your ex-girlfriend's/ex-wife's (or whoever drives you crazy) car and hope for the best.

Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:32:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Well, a bear like that is gonna get shot sooner or later...

Black bears don't respond to the play-dead thing because if they attack you it's not for food, it's because they feel threatened or are protecting territory/cubs/etc...

The standard 'camp advice' is to try and scare the bear off by making yourself look as 'big' as possible, making lots of noise (banging pots, etc), and so on...

However, if that fails, have a good SHOTGUN (slugs, bears are essentially buckshot-proof) or a rifle with a heavier caliber than .308 (I've known people who went bear hunting with a 30-06 & almost got hunted themselves), semiauto is better than bolt/pump in this case...

Where was that thread about the bear that abosorbed 20+rds of 9mm, 5-10 shells of 00 buck, & was finally killed by the 'backup' officer with a patrol rifle?
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:41:04 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
From what I understand, they are responsible for the bulk of human/bear attacks.

I think you are wrong.   The grizzly/ brown/ kodiak is the human attacker, unless you are counting broken cars and back packs in yosemite nat park

Nope, he's right...

Blackies are far more common nationwide, & by numbers you'll have more attacks.

Blacks aren't going to try to eat you (they're more scavengers than predators), but if they get habituated they will see you as a threat & attack you.

Brown bears probably KILL more humans than other kinds, but that's because to a brown you're food, to a black you're a threat.

Advice on bears:

Don't run, the bear runs faster...

Don't climb a tree, bears climb.

Don't jump in the river, they swim.

If the bear is black, bang pots, make noise, & act agressive

If the bear is brown, play dead.

If you get to either of the last 2, hope someone in your party has a shotgun & knows how to use it...
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 11:15:57 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope, he's right...

Blackies are far more common nationwide, & by numbers you'll have more attacks.

I'm looking for nationwide stats, but it is obvious in Alaska who the bad bear is:

Over the past 20 years, Alaska has reported 13 human deaths and 75 injuries to humans from brown/grizzly bear attacks; and two deaths and three injuries to humans by black bears. But bears certainly aren't the only animal than can be a danger to humans in Alaska.  A study conducted by the State of Alaska that reviewed the ten years between 1975 and 1985, revealed 20 people were killed by dogs.  However, in that same period, more than 1000 brown and black bears were killed by humans in defense of their life and property.  In Alaska it is illegal to kill a bear as a result of your unreasonable invasion into the bear's habitat or due to garbage invasion.                    

Link Posted: 5/11/2004 11:20:56 AM EDT
[#46]
in michigan there are currently 14,000 black bears.  
Although black bears are large and powerful animals, they are not normally aggressive toward man.  Black bear attacks are responsible for only three deaths in Michigan, the most storied attack occurring in the Eastern U.P. on July 7th, 1948 - A three year old girl was playing on the porch of the family cabin when she was snatched by a black bear, carried into the bush, and partly eaten.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 12:34:09 PM EDT
[#47]
We have bears every year. Take your bird feeders  in at night too. I have berries growing on our property so they love them. My springer spaniel lets me know when they are too close to the house. For the most part they don't bother us. Shoot in the winter time I have coyotes near by too.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 12:48:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top