Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 7/28/2008 5:20:29 PM EDT
Yup.  

They charged the guy with assault 3, disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.

Only problem:   The officer was full of shit, and the other officer who watched the whole thing and didn't say a word was too concerned with ________________ to do the honorable thing.

Oh, and they forgot that public events have lots of public video cameras.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUkiyBVytRQ

www.nypost.com/seven/07272008/news/regionalnews/cop_shoves_bicyclist_121984.htm

In court papers, Pogan accused Long of purposely swerving his bicycle to block traffic and then using it as a weapon to run down the officer, knocking him off his feet and causing a "laceration" on his forearm.

I know its not Friday, but hey...l
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 5:23:15 PM EDT
[#1]
When did that cross his mind that this would be a good idea.
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 5:24:29 PM EDT
[#2]
THATS ATTEMPTED MURDER!!!
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 5:27:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Premeditated attempted murder/
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 5:28:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I know what I saw.
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 5:28:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
When did that cross his mind that this would be a good idea.

Well, the only interesting thing is that the officer really seemed to key on this guy.   Maybe he was just sizing him up and decided it would work, but it could also have been that he had a radio (motorola is faster than a bike) to stop the guy.

Only, I don't see an order to stop, nor hand gestures to stop, or anything like that.   I see the officer doing everything he can to get in front of the bicyclist.

("He's coming right for us!")

Link Posted: 7/28/2008 5:29:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Hmmmmm.

-p.
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 5:30:59 PM EDT
[#7]
It's things like that when you wish the crowd would just pull the officer down and beat the ever living shit out of him.
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 5:32:58 PM EDT
[#8]
"assault 3, disorderly conduct and resisting arrest"

Interestingly, the officer in this case should definitely be charged with the first two, and the resisting arrest should be replaced with falsifying a police report...  I love the Internet though, it is the great equilizer, and this foolishness won't last long...
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 5:33:52 PM EDT
[#9]
At least the officer made it home to his family
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 5:33:59 PM EDT
[#10]
So, assault and filing a false report.

Good job officer.

Good thing camera Chris was there to catch it all on tape.

Before the advent of ubiquitous cameras at these events, I would have dismissed this dirty hippy's story as hyperbole or balderdash.

Officers....watch your six.  Little brother is out there.  No longer can you assault and batter dirty hippies and minorities for shits and giggles.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 5:34:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
It's things like that when you wish the crowd would just pull the officer down and beat the ever living shit out of him.

if there is ever a civil war in the US, it will be between cops and pissed-off citizens.
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 5:34:23 PM EDT
[#12]
That video pisses me off, I ride a bicycle and have alot to say about what that cop did but I will not go there.   Its obvious the cyclist tries to avoid running into the officer, but that officer decided otherwise...
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 5:34:48 PM EDT
[#13]

The best thing is Officer Friendly has been on the job . . . wait for it . . . three weeks!

-p.
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 5:35:49 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I disagree.  Vigorously.   Then they'd be no better than him.  

Its  his job to  live on the edge of the social compact and keep people from descending to the chaos of a state of nature.   That's what makes transgressions by officers so offensive.

From the super wolves, sheep and sheepdogs essay:

This is because most citizens are kind, decent people who are not capable of hurting each other, except by accident or under extreme provocation. They are sheep.

I mean nothing negative by calling them sheep. To me it is like the pretty, blue robin's egg. Inside it is soft and gooey but someday it will grow into something wonderful. But the egg cannot survive without its hard blue shell. Police officers, soldiers, and other warriors are like that shell, and someday the civilization they protect will grow into something wonderful.? For now, though, they need warriors to protect them from the predators.

"Then there are the wolves," the old war veteran said, "and the wolves feed on the sheep without mercy." Do you believe there are wolves out there who will feed on the flock without mercy? You better believe it. There are evil men in this world and they are capable of evil deeds. The moment you forget that or pretend it is not so, you become a sheep. There is no safety in denial.

"Then there are sheepdogs," he went on, "and I'm a sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf."

If you have no capacity for violence then you are a healthy productive citizen, a sheep. If you have a capacity for violence and no empathy for your fellow citizens, then you have defined an aggressive sociopath, a wolf. But what if you have a capacity for violence, and a deep love for your fellow citizens? What do you have then? A sheepdog, a warrior, someone who is walking the hero's path. Someone who can walk into the heart of darkness, into the universal human phobia, and walk out unscathed

Let me expand on this old soldier's excellent model of the sheep, wolves, and sheepdogs. We know that the sheep live in denial, that is what makes them sheep. They do not want to believe that there is evil in the world. They can accept the fact that fires can happen, which is why they want fire extinguishers, fire sprinklers, fire alarms and fire exits throughout their kids' schools.

But many of them are outraged at the idea of putting an armed police officer in their kid's school. Our children are thousands of times more likely to be killed or seriously injured by school violence than fire, but the sheep's only response to the possibility of violence is denial. The idea of someone coming to kill or harm their child is just too hard, and so they chose the path of denial.

The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, can not and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheep dog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed. The world cannot work any other way, at least not in a representative democracy or a republic such as ours.
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 5:36:53 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Interestingly, the officer in this case should definitely be charged with the first two, and the resisting arrest should be replaced with falsifying a police report...  I love the Internet though, it is the great equilizer, and this foolishness won't last long...

True enough until 'they' make it illegal to film police officers without permission.

Simply a matter of time for that to happen.  

TRG
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 5:37:01 PM EDT
[#16]
  So long, _________________ no more for you.
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 5:37:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

If only we'd had the Internet during the Civil Rights Era.
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 5:38:16 PM EDT
[#18]
In before the:

"You weren't there"

"You wouldn't understand"

"The cameraman didn't catch all which transpired"

"The Police NEVER lie on their arrest reports"

Link Posted: 7/28/2008 5:38:26 PM EDT
[#19]
They already do make it "illegal" to film officers, by not letting the film be entered as evidence.  No wait, we don't get to the point, because the Cop/DA/Judge won't let it get that far... Civil suit is fair game, but again, THEY won't let them admit the video...
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 5:38:28 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

if there is ever a civil war in the US, it will be between cops and pissed-off citizens.
The stupid is strong in this thread.
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 5:40:15 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The bad apples give the majority of upstanding officers a bad name, and I agree.
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 5:41:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Oh for fuck sake.
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 5:41:23 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Good job officer.

Before the advent of ubiquitous cameras at these events, I would have dismissed this dirty hippy's story as hyperbole or balderdash.

Officers....watch your six.  Little brother is out there.  No longer can you assault and batter dirty hippies and minorities for shits and giggles.  

Simple assault, sure. But I would like to see him go up on charges of assault under color of authority, a federal felony punishable by not more than a decade in prison.
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 5:41:35 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Golly, officer, scared you'll end up on the losing end?
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 5:43:05 PM EDT
[#25]
At least his father is sticking up for him.  

"He's my son. I'm proud of him. He's third-generation that's been serving the city," said Pogan Sr., who was at home in Massapequa Park, LI, today and said he had not seen the video. "These people are taking over the streets and impeding the flow of traffic. Then you gotta do what you gotta do," said Pogan, 51.

Link Posted: 7/28/2008 5:44:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Wow, nice career limiting move.
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 5:45:31 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
At least his father is sticking up for him.  

"He's my son. I'm proud of him. He's third-generation that's been serving the city," said Pogan Sr., who was at home in Massapequa Park, LI, today and said he had not seen the video. "These people are taking over the streets and impeding the flow of traffic. Then you gotta do what you gotta do," said Pogan, 51.

Judge Dredd complex runs strong in that family.

I've harped on this here.   The officer does not get to punish.   That's not the deal.  Apprehend and investigate and refer out the charges.

This officer decided to punish.
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 5:48:07 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes it is with no comment from you on the action of that officer. It was unnecessary, illegal and a brutal act. It shows the darkness in that man's heart.        
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 5:48:14 PM EDT
[#29]
move along, nothing to see here
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 5:49:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Fuck those hippys.
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 5:49:56 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes it is with no comment from you on the action of that officer. It was unnecessary, illegal and a brutal act. It shows the darkness in that man's heart.        

I'll go out on a limb and say it was learned behavior.
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 5:51:21 PM EDT
[#32]
You guys should go to one of those things they kick the shit out of your car and spit on you and your family.Because cars are evil.
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 5:51:32 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

You wanna place bets on the outcome, as much as I would like to see what you typed come to fruition it is not in the cards.
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 5:53:41 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I would like to see him go up on charges of assault under color of authority, a federal felony punishable by not more than a decade in prison.

+1

As for banning the filming of police officers on the job, that's one of the escalations of oppression that should give everybody pause.
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 5:54:01 PM EDT
[#35]
height=8
Interestingly, the officer in this case should definitely be charged with the first two, and the resisting arrest should be replaced with falsifying a police report... I love the Internet though, it is the great equilizer, and this foolishness won't last long...

You wanna place bets on the outcome, as much as I would like to see what you typed come to fruition it is not in the cards.

Maybe not today, nor tomorrow, but it will come about...  I think that people are just used to the "way things were", and this whole video camera, Internet thing will take some time to change this blatant and rampant miscarriage of justice...  Maybe even a generation...  But is definitely not healthy for us as a free society to continually turn a blind eye to such things.
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 5:57:27 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I admit it looks bad but you do not know if this guy had just done something to warrant being arrested and that was the best way to stop him.

Not enough information to say Officer "should definitely be charged with assault 3, disorderly conduct"
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 5:58:19 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Good job officer.

Not nearly enough info to prove that is what happened.
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 5:59:03 PM EDT
[#38]
height=8
I admit it looks bad but you do not know if this guy had just done something to warrant being arrested and that was the best way to stop him.

Not enough information to say Officer "should definitely be charged with assault 3, disorderly conduct"

I know what you're saying, but watching an officer beat a man in the face with a collapsable baton behind my apartments when I was about 8 years old says otherwise... The officer didn't even call for backup, just beat the man in the face till it was bloody and he was crying and put him back in the patrol car... THIS STUFF IS RAMPANT AND MUST STOP...  I'm sure the guy "had it coming" of course...
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 6:00:27 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know, if two officers had pointed at him and made any signal to stop, I'd agree with you.

Also if the police report said ANYTHING about  some other infraction.

But the "crash" on camera is what the officer wrote up.

And what the officer wrote up does not match the tape.

Simple as that.  

Link Posted: 7/28/2008 6:00:42 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you miss this part?

"A rookie cop - the son of a highly respected New York City detective - has been stripped of his badge and gun after being caught on video viciously attacking a bicyclist who was part of a Times Square demonstration. '"
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 6:01:55 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I'm sure the guy "had it coming" of course...

He probably did.
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 6:03:34 PM EDT
[#42]
How many "embellishments" like that happen that aren't found out?

Almost every cop knows how to write an ironclad report, whether thats what actually happened or not.
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 6:03:43 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He probably did.

Oh yes.  He surely must have deserved it.  And just what did he do to deserve being assaulted?  
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 6:04:55 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've seen a lot of traffic stops, booking tapes, and arrests (not on the internet).  That look like an arrest to you?
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 6:05:51 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He probably did.

Here's the background.  

The hippie was among a group of bicycle guys who assemble in cities across the country to protest the unfriendliness of cities to bikes.   You know, how the bike lanes get used for parking,etc.    Mostly they're just punks.

They are insufferable assholes, all of them.

But in NYC, they got a court ruling that group bike rides are not something that requires a permit before hand.

So the mere presence of the kid as part of a group was not an arrestable offense.

And being an asshole doesn't mean you deserve a hit like a hocky player.

Police officers do not have the authority or right to decide what someone "deserves" and then to dole out their punishment.   They decide whether there is probable cause to determine that a crime occurred, and if so to safely and lawfully apprehend the suspect and bring him before the courts and people for trial.

Link Posted: 7/28/2008 6:06:07 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
How many "embellishments" like that happen that aren't found out?

More and more I'm convinced that every citizen should always carry a video camera and film every encounter with law enforcement.
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 6:07:30 PM EDT
[#47]
The he deserved it was a reply to my earlier post

height=8
I know what you're saying, but watching an officer beat a man in the face with a collapsable baton behind my apartments when I was about 8 years old says otherwise... The officer didn't even call for backup, just beat the man in the face till it was bloody and he was crying and put him back in the patrol car... THIS STUFF IS RAMPANT AND MUST STOP... I'm sure the guy "had it coming" of course...

And although the guy I witness being beat probably deserved it, it was wholly wrong for the officer to do that, or ANY OFFICER to violate ones civil rights without due process. IT IS TREASONOUS...
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 6:08:10 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know the public school system is just about shot, but what about that situation would meet the definition of a "civil war"?
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 6:08:21 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess you missed the part where the Officer lied in his report:

Pogan accused Long of purposely swerving his bicycle to block traffic and then using it as a weapon to run down the officer, knocking him off his feet and causing a "laceration" on his forearm.

Too bad that guy with the camera was there.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 6:10:29 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've seen a lot of traffic stops, booking tapes, and arrests (not on the internet).  That look like an arrest to you?

sum-rifle, I guess that is as close as you can come to admitting the officer was out of line and out of control.        
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top