Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2006 9:28:20 AM EDT
The US has a long history of firearms ownership and usage. Why isnt Bialthalon more popular here?

We have some of the best marksmen in the world. Why dont we own Biathalon?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:29:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Biathalon is not just shooting. Its a crap load of sking. Not all americans have access to ski areas.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:32:58 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Biathalon is not just shooting. Its a crap load of sking. Not all americans have access to ski areas.

No kidding.  Have you ever X country ski?  Its a pain in the ass.  Most Americans are too lazy to put in the effort.  

Now if you had an downhill event and shooting then more Americans will be interested.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:34:19 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No kidding.  Have you ever X country ski?  Its a pain in the ass.  Most Americans are too lazy to put in the effort.  

Now if you had an downhill event and shooting then more Americans will be interested.

A fifty on a pintle on the back of a luge? Oh yeah!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:39:55 AM EDT
[#4]
EXACTLEY. Cross country sking is awesome. But im a twig so its easy. If you look at alot of this nations great shooters, they would probabley have a heart attack
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:40:39 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:40:56 AM EDT
[#6]
3 pos smallbore isn't a very popular sport to begin with, throw physical work(X country skiing) and you have a big loser. A majority of 3p smallbore shooters are fat old men(or is that just a majority of all shooters). Fat old men do not perform well in physical sports.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:42:58 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

On another thread I already proposed a snowboard shooting event.

Start out with long range shooting (ar15), go downhill. Then shoot mid range with the ar. Snowboard some more and your last stage is a combat handgun drill. Then snowboard to the finish.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:43:17 AM EDT
[#8]
I always liked it, as I love both xc skiing and shooting, but it's a strange combo probably much more closely watched by Northern Europeans.

I'm waiting for another combination like swimming and bowling to be an olympic sport.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:34:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Because we don't have a history of ski troops.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:39:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Because we don't have a history of ski troops.

That's probably the biggest reason.

I've always been fascinated by the idea of Biathlon. I have a feeling if I had grown up here in the Rockies I would have taken it up, although maybe not on a competitive scale. But I grew up in Nebr. where when it snows the wind just blows it into deep piles and leaves bare ground. That's not real conducive to skiing.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:22:54 PM EDT
[#11]
When I was in jr.high we moved up right near Mt.Rainier...deep backwoods.

One of our "neighbors" had a son that actually participated in the Biathalon in the Olympics...this was around 1983-84.

He was actually pretty heralded cause he broke some time records in trials or something(I don't think it was his shooting skills,but that he was really fast around the course),and he was in the local papers and all because biathalon was a sport thatthe  US hadn't ever done shit in and according to what he had done they expected him to have a good shot at a medal.

Anyhow,I think he finished 15th or something in the Olympics.

Guy could ski like a mofo though.I remember in the summer time I'd be riding my bike along these long stretches of country road,and the guy would pass me on his "summer ski's" while he was training....they weren't like roller blades,but more like 3-4 foot long narrow,little tank tracks on each foot.

He could really get movin on those things.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:34:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Why isnt Bialthalon more popular here?

Good question... I took these at the 2002 Olympics in Salt Lake, I went to several events and the Biathlon relay was bar far the best... very exciting.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:44:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Americans do fairly well at the IBU World Championships every year in Summer Biathlon (running and shooting) though.  I am looking at getting into summer biathlon myself.

-Ben
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:15:37 PM EDT
[#14]
How about luge or skeleton with targets along the track?

Coolest
Sport
Ever

SRM
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:23:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Americans do fairly well at the IBU World Championships every year in Summer Biathlon (running and shooting) though.  I am looking at getting into summer biathlon myself.

-Ben

I was thinking about this the other day.  Why not Mountain biking and shooting?  Too dangerous to fall on a rifle from a bike maybe?  That would be tough on the back taking a header and landing on your weapon....
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:26:59 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Ben

I was thinking about this the other day.  Why not Mountain biking and shooting?  Too dangerous to fall on a rifle from a bike maybe?  That would be tough on the back taking a header and landing on your weapon....

In summer biathlon you leave your rifle at the range and there is a mile loop that brings you back to the range.  Its format is generally like this:

Run 1 mile,
shoot 5 targets standing,
Run 1 mile,
shoot 5 targets prone,
Run 1 mile.

The first person to finish wins.  Missing a target adds a predetermined amount of time onto your overall score, and the targets are so small that after running at about a 5 minute mile pace for one or two miles already, it isn't very easy to hit them anymore.

-Ben
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:27:59 PM EDT
[#17]
They should combine shooting with snowboarding. Maybe have the participants do a sideways gangsta-style homeboy Glock mag dump at the top of the half-pipe.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:34:43 PM EDT
[#18]
I would love to do it,
it  just needs  to snow more here in Texas.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:39:10 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I would love to do it,
it  just needs  to snow more here in Texas.

Train on grass. Then when you get to snow, it will be really really fast.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top