Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2002 7:44:41 PM EDT
I recently sold a T/C frame and went to my local UPS office to ship to a FFL holder. I was told that UPS will not accept shipments of handguns from private sources any longer. They will only ship long guns. Handguns can be from manufacturers only. I had to ship Fedex, next day air, which cost me a bundle, but at least Fedex still ships for private parties. I know USPS can't take handguns, so Fedex must be the only game left. Maybe it's been this way for awhile, but it caught me by surprise and sure pissed me off, to say nothing about the dent it made in my wallet. Support Fedex!!
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 12:03:25 AM EDT
[#1]
UPS SUCKS!  FedEx never gave me a hassle and they don't ask what's in the box like the fcko's at UPS do.
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 12:07:10 AM EDT
[#2]
They instituted the no handgun policy several years ago--maybe 3 or 4?

Supposedly because handguns are too easy for the UPS handlers and drivers to pilfer. Has nothing to do woth them being anti-gun.
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 12:27:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I got a 1911 off gunbroker.comand the FFL mailed it to the house usps....
I was also unswr the impression that that was illegal.....but he said there was a separate form to fill out???
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 12:29:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Supposedly because handguns are too easy for the UPS handlers and drivers to pilfer. Has nothing to do woth them being anti-gun.
View Quote

Pvt. parties were still able to ship handguns to an FFL so long as it was next-day air.  So now they won't take any pvt. party guns period?

And the fckos at the UPS counter were aHOlES when it came to shipping a firearm.  The jackoff wanted to write the FFL# on the outside of the box.  I told the fcker, "NO YOU DON'T!".

So if you're referring to the workers who steal the guns, then ya they ain't anti's.  The people who work the counters are anti-POS's!
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 12:33:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's not true.  They just required you to ship it next day so it costs a lot more.  From what I understand, there are some UPS drop off places where dumb asses work and don't know their own companies rules.  They just don't like guns so they'll tell you they wont ship them.

USPC40

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/line.gif[/img]
[url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url]
[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 1:24:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

That's not true.  They just required you to ship it next day so it costs a lot more.  From what I understand, there are some UPS drop off places where dumb asses work and don't know their own companies rules.  They just don't like guns so they'll tell you they wont ship them.

USPC40

[url]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/line.gif[/url]
[url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url]
[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]

[url]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/url]
View Quote

UPS rules seem to vary depending upon where you live.  Here in OKC, UPS will not pick-up  firearms even from a dealer but will deliver any firearms coming in.

I guess we've been using Fed Ex for a couple of years here.
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 1:33:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 3:52:45 AM EDT
[#8]
I have sold and mailed several long guns and pistols in the past months.  FedEx requires Priority Overnight so it is less likely to get stolen.  UPS wont pick up from a non FFL.  UPS is cheaper than FedEx on ground shipping which is OK for long guns.  There must be NO INDICATION on the package a gun is whats inside.  You cant ship ammo with it.  The gun must be field stripped and rendered incapable of firing.
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 4:08:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have sold and mailed several long guns and pistols in the past months.  FedEx requires Priority Overnight so it is less likely to get stolen.  UPS wont pick up from a non FFL.  UPS is cheaper than FedEx on ground shipping which is OK for long guns.  There must be NO INDICATION on the package a gun is whats inside.  You cant ship ammo with it.  The gun must be field stripped and rendered incapable of firing.
View Quote

You have to strip a gun to ship it?
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 4:51:54 AM EDT
[#10]
You must render it inoperable (remove bolt/firing pin/slide/barrel etc.)  You dont have to TOTALLY break it down but it may not be capable of firing any one of those will work.  I take the side/barrel off my semi auto handguns, remove the bolt off bolt actions and break O/U shotguns in half.
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 6:46:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
UPS SUCKS!  FedEx never gave me a hassle and they don't ask what's in the box like the fcko's at UPS do.
View Quote

Weapons Grade Chicken Gizzazrds
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 7:07:29 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't see anything new, which prohibits handgun shipments from a non-licensee.  This is the latest service guide from the UPS website.  

[url]http://www.ups.com/trademark/new_tariff.pdf[/url]

FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION

Firearms will be transported only between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers and licensed collectors, as defined in the United States Gun Control Act of 1968 (Public Law 90-618, enacted October 22, 1968), as amended by the Firearms Owners' Protection Act (P.L. 99-308, approved May 19, 1986, and a subsequent amendment thereto, P.L. 99-360, approved July 8, 1986) (“the Acts”), law enforcement agencies of the United States or of any department or agency thereof, and law enforcement agencies of any State or any department, agency or political subdivision thereof, [b]and from a person not otherwise prohibited by Federal, State or local law to[/b] a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer or licensed dealer for the sole purpose of repair or customizing, and the repaired firearm or a replacement firearm of the same kind or type on return from the licensed importer, licensed manufacturer or licensed dealer to that person. The shipper must affix a UPS label, requesting an adult signature upon delivery, to each package containing a firearm. Adult means a person 21 years of age or older. Handguns, as defined by the Acts, will only be accepted for transportation in UPS Next Day Air Services, but will not be accepted for transportation via UPS Letter Centers, Internet Shipping, or in response to a request for a One-Time Pickup or for On-Call Pickup Service. Firearms, including handguns, will not be accepted when presented for shipment at a UPS Authorized Shipping Outlet or a UPS Commercial Counter. Small arms ammunition, as defined in 49 C.F.R. Section 173.59, will be transported only when packaged and labeled in compliance with 49 C.F.R. Section 172.
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 7:50:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 8:02:44 AM EDT
[#14]
UPS, in their internal info refers only to "authorized shippers" – but never define sthe term . That's why their regs are so confusing. You can ask 3 different supervisors and you get 3 different answers.
They seem to mean well, but.....BOFI.
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 8:25:33 AM EDT
[#15]
I think this recent problem is due to UPS renaming all the old "Mailboxes etc." store "UPS Stores."

They have not accepted guns shipments from the old Mailboxes stores for several years.

Amazing that slackers this stupid can still have good paying jobs.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
UPS, in their internal info refers only to "authorized shippers" – but never define sthe term . That's why their regs are so confusing. You can ask 3 different supervisors and you get 3 different answers.
They seem to mean well, but.....BOFI.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 9:01:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Mail form....contents:Precision machined parts....value: list value.....no problem![rolleyes]
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 9:48:33 AM EDT
[#17]
My local UPS counter also won't accept handguns.  I know how you feel dustoff.  Because the corporate policy is to not accept handguns from a one-time pick-up, you have to find a business with daily pickup that is willing to ship a gun for you.  This is also why my Kel-Tec is still broken.  It needs a third trip back, but I simply don't have any friends that work somewhere that will allow them to ship a gun with their UPS account.  It's even more frustrating when you add-in the rip-off price of $35 to ship a 6.6 ounce Kel-Tec.  That's $63.64 per pound!  I've already spent that twice, so far.z
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 1:02:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

This is probably because I use the before mentioned Maliboxes Etc.  It must be an internal policy.  They asked it is un fireable at every location I have sent from

I have been present at my FFL for every AR that I have received that was shipped by UPS from many different sources.  The ARs were opened and logged in my presence and none were "field stripped and rendered incapable of firing".  Where did you get this info from?
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 1:26:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Hey, guys..I admit that the fellow behind the UPS desk wasn't a Mensa candidate, but he didn't have to be. When I told him I wanted to ship a handgun, he pulled a notice from UPS HQ off the wall and showed me the newest edict saying no handguns are to be shipped for private, non-FFL holders. Long guns were still OK. That's why some of you had no trouble with UPS with your ARs. It doesn't sound like this problem had anything to do with this particular office here in PA. Sounds like Corporate policy to me.
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 1:32:54 PM EDT
[#20]
I shipped a Glock to an FFL holder just a couple of weeks ago via the local UPS office and I had ZERO trouble doing so.   No hassles at ALL.  The only thing the lady at the shipping counter asked about it was, is it currently loaded?

No, of course.

No problem.   Shipping was routine, uneventful, and strictly according to the letter and spirit of the law.

YMMV.

CJ
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 1:41:26 PM EDT
[#21]
CJ
I'm glad it went well for you. My event was 3 days ago, so things may have changed.
What does YMMV mean?
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 2:31:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Your Mileage May Vary.

CJ
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 2:37:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Just pack the pistol in a box that looks big enough for a rifle.

I was under the impression that UPS will not take handguns at a service counter, but they WILL accept them from businesses that have a daily UPS pick-up.

I could be wrong.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top