Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2015 2:50:28 PM EDT
I saw this late '70s movie called The Big Fix the other day starring Richard Dreyfuss and was thoroughly entertained and surprised a movie of that production seemed to have escaped my radar for all these years.  Just when you thought you've seen or heard about all of the movies in the '70s, along comes another gem like that.

Dustin Hoffman has been in some very good movies as well, like The Graduate and Rain Man.   Even Tootsie.

So who was the better actor?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:52:24 PM EDT
Not even a contest
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:53:30 PM EDT
The Hoff!
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:56:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/30/2015 2:57:06 PM EDT by runcible]
When I think of Hoffman, a lot of great roles come to mind. One that really jumps out at me is 1978's "Straight Time." Max Dembo is about as far from Ben Braddock as you can get, but Hoffman pulled off both of them, and did it really well.

On range alone, I'd go with Hoffman.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:58:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/30/2015 3:00:30 PM EDT by ServiceGun]
At least Hoffman hasn't been reduced to sitcom drivel like You Family or Mine

Why Richard, why?

ETA While they are both great actors in general I enjoyed the movies with Dreyfuss more.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:59:58 PM EDT
Hoffman.

From the movies I have watched with Dreyfuss he always seemed a good fit for the goofy type Dad characters.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:00:48 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By runcible:
When I think of Hoffman, a lot of great roles come to mind. One that really jumps out at me is 1978's "Straight Time." Max Dembo is about as far from Ben Braddock as you can get, but Hoffman pulled off both of them, and did it really well.

View Quote

I was going to mention Straight Time, but it lost out to Tootsie.

Straight Time and The Big Fix would be two very good movies in which to compare each actor.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:02:16 PM EDT
Hoffman. Dreyfus plays Dreyfus with a script.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:03:18 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Tim_the_enchanter:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:04:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/30/2015 3:06:22 PM EDT by 40xb-shooter]
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:05:08 PM EDT
Didn't Dreyfus play C3P0 in Star Wars?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:12:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/30/2015 3:14:23 PM EDT by runcible]
Originally Posted By VBC:

Straight Time and The Big Fix would be two very good movies in which to compare each actor.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

And they were actually both in "The Graduate."

Hoffman was also hilarious in "Ishtar." (A movie that is remembered as a lot worse than it was-usually by people who've never seen it.)
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:19:27 PM EDT
It is indeed possible to draw your gun before you touch it
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:22:26 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Ridgerunner9876:
View Quote

That's one of my favorite movies, period.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:22:26 PM EDT
Dreyfuss ruined JAWS. He was totally unbelievable when he was talking about his scars.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:29:40 PM EDT

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ridgerunner9876:

Me too.

I need to buy it or find it online. The boy hasn't seen it yet. Gotta get that fixed.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:32:17 PM EDT
Alls I know is that Dryfuss isn't as good a driver as Hoffman...
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:35:22 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:36:02 PM EDT
You're gonna need a bigger poll.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:37:01 PM EDT
Tough one. Both are really great actors.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:38:52 PM EDT
I was thinking the other day, how creepy would it have been if a dude tried to make out with a retarded women like Tom Cruise's girlfriend tried to do with Dustin Hoffman in Rain Man?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:40:06 PM EDT
Both liberal scum to me.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:40:07 PM EDT
Dreyfuss was good in Jaws and CE, but for me, that's about it.

Hoffman has been excellent in almost everything he's been in, except for Meet the Parents.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:53:24 PM EDT
Papillon
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:54:10 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Silver_Surfer:
Papillon
View Quote

Oh wow, I'd totally forgotten about that one.  End of thread.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:08:08 PM EDT
No contest.

Dreyfuss is very good and I've always liked him as an actor.

But Hoffman in Midnight Cowboy gave what I think is probably the finest performance ever by an actor, equalled only by Jon Voight's in that same film.  

He's also superb in Tootsie (not everyone can do tragedy and comedy both).  Lots of other films besides.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:13:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/30/2015 4:15:52 PM EDT by Fulminata]

Hoffman was also hilarious in "Ishtar." (A movie that is remembered as a lot worse than it was-usually by people who've never seen it.)
View All Quotes

I actually love Ishar and think it was high-larious. Sometimes unintentionally, but it's good stuff.
As for the question at hand, I'd say Hoffman is definitely the better actor, but I'd say that Dreyfuss movies generally entertain me more than Hoffman ones do. Moon Over Parador is another one of those "bad movie/guilty pleasures" that I think is awesome and amusing as hell.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:17:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/30/2015 4:21:15 PM EDT by runcible]
Originally Posted By Fulminata:

I actually love Ishar and think it was high-larious. Sometimes unintentionally, but it's good stuff.

As for the question at hand, I'd say Hoffman is definitely the better actor, but I Dreyfuss movies generally entertain me more than Hoffman ones do. Moon Over Parador is another one of those "bad movie/guilty pleasures" that I think is awesome and amusing as hell.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Fulminata:

As for the question at hand, I'd say Hoffman is definitely the better actor, but I Dreyfuss movies generally entertain me more than Hoffman ones do. Moon Over Parador is another one of those "bad movie/guilty pleasures" that I think is awesome and amusing as hell.

Ah, a kindred spirit. I couldn't tell you how many times I've watched that movie. All it really needs is a little tweaking, cut down on a few of the areas where it drags.

The scene where Hoffman sings the song that he wrote for the old couple's anniversary is comedy gold.

"Love In My Will"

I promised I'd love you forever
A promise I'm planning to keep

You'll be well taken care of after I'm gone
Off to the land of the big sleep

I'm leaving some love in my will
Yes, I'm leaving some love in my will

My life is nearly over
And time goes by so fast

That I wanted to give you a present
To thank you for the past
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:23:24 PM EDT
Little Big man
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:35:42 PM EDT
Mrs. Robinson says Hoffman.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:53:25 PM EDT
View Quote

I don't care for either very much.  But Dreyfus plays an honest character because it is him he's playing.  Hoffman puts on too much character "stuff" which makes his performances less believable.   He didn't do that in The Graduate and that's why many think that is an iconic performance. Straw Dogs and Marathon Man are in the same realm when it was still earlier in his career.  Other roles, not so much.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:08:47 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:10:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/30/2015 5:13:13 PM EDT by goodmedicine]
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:32:14 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:24:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By flyhack72:
I don't care for either very much.  But Dreyfus plays an honest character because it is him he's playing.  Hoffman puts on too much character "stuff" which makes his performances less believable.   He didn't do that in The Graduate and that's why many think that is an iconic performance. Straw Dogs and Marathon Man are in the same realm when it was still earlier in his career.  Other roles, not so much.
View All Quotes

An actor turns himself into the character. He doesn't turn the character into himself. I enjoy his performances, mostly, but he has no range.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:02:40 PM EDT
I loved Let it Ride
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:09:17 PM EDT
Where's they both suck option?
Can't stand either of them especially Hoffman.
They are just as bad as Bill Murry, another non talented POS!
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:10:07 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Silver_Surfer:
Little Big man
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:19:30 PM EDT
Marathon Man.   So much awesome between Hoffman and Olivier.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:04:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/30/2015 11:07:58 PM EDT by flyhack72]

An actor turns himself into the character. He doesn't turn the character into himself. I enjoy his performances, mostly, but he has no range.

View All Quotes

That's like your opinion man.  I was a professional stage actor for 15 years.  AEA member.  There are character actors and straight actors. Hoffman started as a straight actor and turned to a character actor.  Dreyfus has always been a straight actor.

Stanford Meisner, one of the most influential acting teachers in the 20th century, says "acting is living truthfully under imaginary circumstances."

The common brief is that actors "put on" character traits.  That is not true.  It's actually the opposite.  They often remove "covers" and traits that would conceal reality so they can be the true expression of themselves in the circumstances that the character lives in.  This is primarily why we have type casting.  Keaton playing his role in Birdman is a perfect example of this.
Top Top