Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2005 2:39:16 PM EDT
I am leaving for Jacksonville on the 18th, leaving from Columbus. I am surprising the wife and bringing 2 cats down with me. With my time frame left, 10 days, what is the easiest and best way for the cats, not necessarily the cheapest way, to take the cats down with me?

You can only have one cat per carry on, so that option is out. There are 3rd party companies that ship animals (fedex? ups? others I have not heard of?), or check them as baggage?

If I check them as baggage, I have heard pros and cons about sedating them while traveling since it might lower their blood pressure...

Any tips/advice about the entire situation would be great. Thanks..
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:40:29 PM EDT
[#1]
leash + bumper =
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:47:00 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
leash + bumper =

Nice
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:50:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I am leaving for Jacksonville on the 18th, leaving from Columbus. I am surprising the wife and bringing 2 cats down with me. With my time frame left, 10 days, what is the easiest and best way for the cats, not necessarily the cheapest way, to take the cats down with me?

You can only have one cat per carry on, so that option is out. There are 3rd party companies that ship animals (fedex? ups? others I have not heard of?), or check them as baggage?

If I check them as baggage, I have heard pros and cons about sedating them while traveling since it might lower their blood pressure...

Drive.
I know it sounds suckie but that has been the least stress/most comfort for pets in my experience.
I've done carry-on and wouldn't even consider air cargo (I've heard instances of hypoxia and crates collapsing and crushing pets).
Two of us have transported three cats 18 or 20 hours of car travel before.  It's not that bad.  I put a litter box in the bed of the truck and let them go back and forth through the back window into the covered bed (shell top) so it worked perfectly for them.  They were happy and safe.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:54:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I also agree cabin or nothing.  It sounds like from your post the cats must go, so I would see if you can schmooze both cats on (?)

Wish I could be more helpful.  I know FedEx and UPS are not an option.

NorCal  
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:55:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Legend,
Thanks bud for the advice. I do not know if driving is an option, I already have my ticket. But if I do not decide to bring them down on the plane, driving might have to be it..
Drive.
I know it sounds suckie but that has been the least stress/most comfort for pets in my experience.
I've done carry-on and wouldn't even consider air cargo (I've heard instances of hypoxia and crates collapsing and crushing pets).
Two of us have transported three cats 18 or 20 hours of car travel before.  It's not that bad.  I put a litter box in the bed of the truck and let them go back and forth through the back window into the covered bed (shell top) so it worked perfectly for them.  They were happy and safe.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:55:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I think UPS ships animals, but only a few months a year..
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:59:53 PM EDT
[#7]
drive.  i think you can get sedatives from your vet that will knock the cats out for a while.  if they dont meow in the car though, it might not be neccessary.  my cat doesnt mind taking road trips.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:42:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
drive.  i think you can get sedatives from your vet that will knock the cats out for a while.  if they dont meow in the car though, it might not be neccessary.  my cat doesnt mind taking road trips.

Give them benadryl <sp?>

1mg per pound will put them to sleep

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:44:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top