Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 2/18/2006 5:47:41 AM EDT
I current have a bunch on my hard drive and want to remove them to free up the space and also protect the photos. I have a CD burner.

CD?

DVD? (I'd have to get a DVD burner.)

External hard drive?

None of the above?

TIA,

Corey
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:56:57 AM EDT
Well, sounds like the best option is to use the cd burner that you already have.
Even with an external hard drive, the cd is a good "hard copy."
Thats the way I save important files.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:59:03 AM EDT
External drive

Or a NetWare server with mirrored 250gb drives
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:00:24 AM EDT
CD/DVD is what I do. I back up most of my important files to DVD. Hard drives crash, DVD is forever*.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:05:21 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:11:34 AM EDT
Use whatever media you want. Just make sure to keep three copies, with at least one at a separate location. If your house burns up.......

remember, two is one, one is none....
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:14:52 AM EDT
If I go the CD burning route, should I use any specific type of CD or just the standard bulk CD's I already have?

And how many high resolution photos can I expect to put on a single CD?

Corey
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:24:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Corey:
If I go the CD burning route, should I use any specific type of CD or just the standard bulk CD's I already have?

And how many high resolution photos can I expect to put on a single CD?

Corey

what is "HIGH RESOLUTION" for you?

There's about 650 MB on a CD.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:26:37 AM EDT
You may want to check out webshots as well
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:31:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/18/2006 6:35:15 AM EDT by mm34b]
FINDING THE BEST CD-Rs
By Mike Johnston

What's the most Archival CD-R Blank Media for Storing Image Files?

I recently wrote an article for Black & White Photography magazine about the best CD-R blank media for photographers. The article was based entirely on research and collating anecdotal reports, not on original experimentation or testing.

In the article I included a number of general recommendations as to how to evaluate available options, what to buy, and where to find it.

Most important, though, is that it really does matter. There have been numerous reports in the news media recently about CD media not being as archival as we once imagined. It's like anything else: some of the cheapest options are really bad, and you have to choose wisely if you want to find something that's reliably good.

There's not really one "best" type of disc. There are several good ones. The problem is, how do you know what you're buying? Most CD-R blanks that are available in most stores are only marked with the brand name (which is irrelevant — I'll get to that in a minute) and the country of origin (this can be marginally helpful, as most "Made in Japan" discs are Taiyo Yuden, a dependably good factory. But it's not much to go on).

The CD-R blanks I ended up recommending most highly in the article are MAM-A Gold Archival manufactured in Colorado Springs, Colorado. These are the same blanks that were formerly developed and manufactured by MITSUI. In June, 2003, Mitsui Tokyo divested majority share of its media business to Computer Support Italcard s.r.l. (CSI) of Italy, which now runs the plant in Colorado (now known as MAM-A, which originally stood for "Mitsui Advanced Media America," http://www.mam-a.com,) and in Alsace, France (MAM-E, formerly "Mitsui Advanced Media Europe," http://www.mam-e.com). Technically speaking, "Mitsui" disks are no longer available, but MAM-A discs are the same product made in the same factory.

Gold Archival are simply the highest-spec batches of Gold, which. This is the best product in a range that is specifically designed and manufactured for archival storage purposes.

MAM-A Gold Archival discs may not be the absolute best for you or for your burner; and they may not have the 300-year archival life span that is claimed for them. The advantage of buying this brand is that it's positively identifiable, and you can depend on what you're getting.

Americans can buy directly at this link:

store.mam-a-store.com/standard---archive-gold.html

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:37:15 AM EDT
I've always had good luck with Verbatim media. Otherwise any good quality media should do.
Top Top