Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2017 3:02:03 PM EDT
Scros (and .bros),

What is the best way to mount a Lee classic turret press on a half bull nose counter top?

It's made out of laminate/particle board type stuff, and looks something like this.....

Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:04:13 PM EDT
[#1]
1.  Build/buy proper bench with decent overhang.

2.  Throw out Lee, and get Dillon.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:04:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Scros (and .bros),

What is the best way to mount a Lee classic turret press on a half bull nose counter top?

It's made out of laminate/particle board type stuff, and looks something like this.....

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/e4/bb/6d/e4bb6d726a7d13f3d754b0636e8de437.jpg

http://www.stargraniteinteriors.com/myimages/halfbullnose.jpg
View Quote

Inline fabrication raised mount.  

Next question please.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:04:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy a Dillon, dont use that crap as a bench.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:08:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Next question please.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:08:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Buy it dinner, maybe flowers, wear cologne.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:09:35 PM EDT
[#6]
C clamps.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:09:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I actually went with the lee reloading stand. The wife got it for me last X-mas, and I thought it looked flimsy, but it has really impressed me. I can move it wherever I want.
I have my rock chucker on it.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/324379/lee-reloading-stand?cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-Reloading - Metallic Reloading Equipment(Not+Presses)-_-Lee-_-324379&gclid=COH36YmYrNMCFQ1rfgod1aoCyQ
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:09:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Next question please.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:13:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Next question please.
View Quote
This is correct answer.

https://inlinefabrication.com/collections/lee/products/lee-classic-turret
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:15:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Looks like it sits up too high to use on my bench.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:16:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
This sounds correct to me.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:17:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Buy it dinner, maybe flowers, wear cologne.
View Quote
And then, from behind.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:17:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Looks like it sits up too high to use on my bench.
View Quote
There are multiple heights to choose from, iirc 4-12 inches, something like that.  There is also a flush mount but you've got to recess the countertop for it.

Get the quick change model, then, if you get a case trimmer or another press, you can swap them out and save bench space.

You're welcome.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:21:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Particle board is a really shitty substrate to bolt to.

You are going to need either really big fender washers on the underside, or a steel plate drilled with matching holes.

You probably know this already, but the counter top is not really that thick the whole span.  It is built up around the front edge and the ends to make it appear thicker.

With that radiused front edge, like others have mentioned already, you're gonna need that inline fabrication mount....to get the press up above the top for both the ram and the handle to clear.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:21:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
I mostly agree with point no.2
But if you still want to use that old countertop, you will need to reinforce/double-up the underside with some hardwood - like 1.5" thick white oak or maple glued to the underside , or a couple layers of 3/4" heavy plywood.   Extend the backer out at least a foot past where you intend to mount the press.   Then use long bolts that go all the way through the wood with fender washers and lock nuts, not lag bolts.   Otherwise the particleboard that countertop is made of will break apart over time from all the torque and racking from operating the press.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:23:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Made my reloading bench with the prefab counters from Home Depot on top of 4x4 legs with 2x4 stingers held together with Simpson Strong-Tie brackets joining legs to cross supports.  After building the bench I reinforced the area where I was mounting my Dillon 650XL with 3/4 plywood under the counter top.  The bolts that hold the bench to the counter top go through the counter and through the plywood with washers under the bolt heads.  The plywood is also anchored into the 2x4 horizontal support of the bench frame.  Rock steady mount.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:25:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Made my reloading bench with the prefab counters from Home Depot on top of 4x4 legs with 2x4 stingers held together with Simpson Strong-Tie brackets joining legs to cross supports.  After building the bench I reinforced the area where I was mounting my Dillon 650XL with 3/4 plywood under the counter top.  The bolts that hold the bench to the counter top go through the counter and through the plywood with washers under the bolt heads.  The plywood is also anchored into the 2x4 horizontal support of the bench frame.  Rock steady mount.
View Quote

I think this is something like what i'm gonna have to do. "sandwich" it between tow pieces of wood, then mount the press, or something like that.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:30:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

There are multiple heights to choose from, iirc 4-12 inches, something like that.  There is also a flush mount but you've got to recess the countertop for it.

Get the quick change model, then, if you get a case trimmer or another press, you can swap them out and save bench space.

You're welcome.
View Quote
I had an extra strong mount sitting around for my Dillon 650, so I bought a piece of steel plate that is 3/8ths thick, 10 inches wide, and like 18 inches long.

Then I drilled it for all the other presses I have...a Star lubrisizer, a MEC 9000, and an RCBS single stage.  I just set them on the floor when not in use and swap them as needed.  

It also makes a convenient platform for my digital scale and my RCBS beam scale.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:31:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Lee I believe makes a bench plate.    You mount the plate to the top and then the press to the plate.   I use the RCBS version which may also work if the holes line up.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:35:24 PM EDT
[#20]
I mounted both my gunsmithing vise and RCBS reloader using T-nuts on the bottom of my workbench.  I can install and remove either one as needed very quickly using a ratchet wrench.

Paladin
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:43:25 PM EDT
[#21]
I built this little portable stand and turned it into an outdoor activity.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:49:22 PM EDT
[#22]
No stand needed.  

Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:52:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:54:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Add some 4x4 bracing under that  shitty counter, drill holes, buy bolts nuts and washers
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:55:56 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a Dillon 550 bolted to a sheet of plywood and that c-clamped to a steel work bench.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:57:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
This FPNI thing is what holds atoms together around here.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:58:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

And then, from behind.
View Quote
don't forget caseLube..
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:04:24 PM EDT
[#28]
The Lee press will eventually break that particle board counter top without reinforcement.  My Forster Coax, on the other hand, has been used while attached to a card table with shitty ratcheting spring clamps.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:56:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
C clamps.
View Quote
I mount the press to a 2x8 or a 2x10 and clamp it to the bench.

That way I can move it or remove it when I want a change or the space.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:05:48 PM EDT
[#30]
I made a mount for mine. Maybe you could fabricate one for yours too?

Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:12:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Worth a try. I'll give it a shot before I drill any holes
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:13:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Next question please.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:21:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
This.

I do the same thing.  Use 2 x 12 along entire front edge of bench and mount press, powder measure, and whatever else side by side.  Use T nuts on the underside of 2 x 12 so I can mount or remove anything I use as needed.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:41:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Come on over to the Reloading forum and get away from the snobs (yeah, I have a Dillon 650 but I hate snobbery).
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:43:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Inline Fabrication is the answer you seek. i use one of their flush mount quick change mounts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top