Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2013 5:31:56 PM EDT
Alright, I know I am desperate when I am using a gun forum that I just recently joined to find advice on ways to help me eat healthier, but I figure the tool is available, so why not use it? Here is some background, I am a larger fellow (about 5'11 and 280 lbs) I Have never really eaten what I would call healthy, and have found myself eating fast food at least once daily for awhile now, and I can see a change from big, but "solid" to big and less "solid" ( I.E more flubby, especially in the love handle area!) I joined a gym about a year and a half ago, talked with their personal trainer regarding nutrition, and have a basic understanding of what I should and should not eat. I quit going to the gym and my diet about 1.5 weeks in. I am all too good at making excuses to myself, but ulitmately, I can tell I am reaching the age where if I do not change, I am not going to have a pleasant or long "golden age".

So, here are my questions:

1 - What is the best way to premake a healthy lunch for a whole work week? What should I make, keeping in mind I will never eat tuna fish, and really don't like fish in general. Grilled chicken is one of my favorites, but I like some variety.

2 - How do you keep yourself motivated to continue to eat right when you get a whiff of someones bacon cheeseburger?

3 - What are some good adult beverages that won't wreak havoc on my plan that I can order at a bar? I shoot pool on a league, and drinking water at the bar is kind of, well, lame!

4 - How have you, assuming you reached your goal, maintained your overall level of health? I understand for me I need to basically make a lifestyle change, but I refuse to be the guy that won't have a beer or a couple slices of pizza during a gathering of friends / family.

That is it for nutrition.As far as working out, I know light cardio (mixture of walking / jogging. Swimming would be good too, though I do not know if that is an option for me) is going to be where I need to start. I have always been semi active, but the last couple years I have really gotten alot more lazy.

I also want to point out that I am not willing to go bat shit crazy on this. I am not, and do not have the desire to be an extreme health freak. I am seeking to have a more balanced diet and to reduce my fat content. I am not looking to be thin, because my structure really would not allow it. I just want to be able to put on a T-Shirt and be able to stand tall and comfortable, without having to try and hide my moobs and love handles / guts.

Thanks guys and / or gals.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 5:55:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Alright, I know I am desperate when I am using a gun forum that I just recently joined to find advice on ways to help me eat healthier, but I figure the tool is available, so why not use it? Here is some background, I am a larger fellow (about 5'11 and 280 lbs) I Have never really eaten what I would call healthy, and have found myself eating fast food at least once daily for awhile now, and I can see a change from big, but "solid" to big and less "solid" ( I.E more flubby, especially in the love handle area!) I joined a gym about a year and a half ago, talked with their personal trainer regarding nutrition, and have a basic understanding of what I should and should not eat. I quit going to the gym and my diet about 1.5 weeks in. I am all too good at making excuses to myself, but ulitmately, I can tell I am reaching the age where if I do not change, I am not going to have a pleasant or long "golden age".

So, here are my questions:

1 - What is the best way to premake a healthy lunch for a whole work week? What should I make, keeping in mind I will never eat tuna fish, and really don't like fish in general. Grilled chicken is one of my favorites, but I like some variety.

I personally make up 6 Chicken breast at once along with some fresh broccoli and put them in separate containers for lunch. I will add a baked sweet potato in there as well from time to time depending on what I am feeling like. I eat those until gone then make more. I drizzle everything I make with Olive oil

2 - How do you keep yourself motivated to continue to eat right when you get a whiff of someones bacon cheeseburger?
Eat one once a week... if you need to. I don't limit myself on them but then again I haven't had 'Fast Food' in months just because I have a fridge full of food...

3 - What are some good adult beverages that won't wreak havoc on my plan that I can order at a bar? I shoot pool on a league, and drinking water at the bar is kind of, well, lame!
Anything in moderation?

4 - How have you, assuming you reached your goal, maintained your overall level of health? I understand for me I need to basically make a lifestyle change, but I refuse to be the guy that won't have a beer or a couple slices of pizza during a gathering of friends / family.
Having a few beers and pizza every once in a while isn't a bad thing. What you are doing 99% of the time is what counts. Either you eat well most of them and have a cheat day or you eat like shit 99% of the time with a "I'm gonna start eating healthy" day once a week that last one day...

That is it for nutrition.As far as working out, I know light cardio (mixture of walking / jogging. Swimming would be good too, though I do not know if that is an option for me) is going to be where I need to start. I have always been semi active, but the last couple years I have really gotten alot more lazy.

I also want to point out that I am not willing to go bat shit crazy on this. I am not, and do not have the desire to be an extreme health freak. I am seeking to have a more balanced diet and to reduce my fat content. I am not looking to be thin, because my structure really would not allow it. I just want to be able to put on a T-Shirt and be able to stand tall and comfortable, without having to try and hide my moobs and love handles / guts.

Thanks guys and / or gals.

Bottom line is that you need to change your eating habits, eat good food, read that as lots of clean meats, veggies, good fats/oils, you probably want to dump all processed sugars/carbs out of your diet and get them from fruit and what not.

Don't want to get skinny, lift weights...

But I highly doubt at 280lbs that you really run the risk of getting skinny.

This is just to get started, I am sure a few of the fellas will expand greatly on my quick 2 cents

Link Posted: 1/19/2013 6:00:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Honestly? A designated cheat day.

Willpower is not finite.

Having that one day that you can do whatever allows you to have more willpower during the week.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 6:10:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I am glad you are not willing to go batshit crazy on this.  most people do and subequently fail.  Here are my best answers to your questions.

1.  Best thing for me is to focus on dinner.  Whatever we have for dinner we usually have leftovers and I just package it up while cleaning up dinner.  I SUCK at making my own lunch and I am SUPER busy all the time.  So I am cool with leftovers.  Don't focus so much on it being tuna or grilled chicken and focus more on the fact that it didn't come from a drive through.  I suffer from the same BS you do, eating at McFatty's AT LEAST once a day.  So here are my rules for a healthy diet.  1. Never eat food that come through a drive through.  2.  Never is a long time.  We are an unhealthy society.  Eventually you will find youself back there for some reason.  just do your best to make a healthy choice. 3.  Learn to like black coffee.  Took me a while but it will save you a ton of calories a day.  Focus on drinking more water.  I guarentee you are not drinking enough water.  

2.  You have to give in once and a while.  give yourself one day a week to eat whatever.  Otherwise you will never make it.  But don't turn it into an eating competition.  Enjoy your bacon cheeseburger, just don't eat ten of them.  It's not that kind of day.

3.  None.  Alcohol messes with your body's ability to metaboilize fat.  You know what lamer than drinking water while shooting pool?  Being fat.  Drink water, be that guy.

4.  Integrate exercise into your life.  Forget you even heard the words drive through.  Indulge once and a while, but also don't be afraid to sweat more than once and a while.  If you work out enough, it will become a habit.

Good luck man.  I weigh 198, down from 206 three weeks ago, wife and I are pushing hard to get me to 170 via this method.  We use Insanity Alsylum.  Don't buy it.  It is really very hard.  I recommend at most, P-90x or a gym membership.  Whatever gets you there.

Link Posted: 1/19/2013 6:30:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys, the suggestions make sense. So let me ask this, what are some good recipes that will include some veggies. I have never really had stir fry, but I think something along those lines is going to be the best way for me to eat some healthy foods ( I.E mix the "icky" tasting foods with chicken, lean beef, etc to make it more tolerable until I acquire a taste for veggies and other things that have been lacking in my diet.

Any ideas on some good snacks? Apples are great and all, but again, variety is good. Are those protein bars and the like worth a shit, or stay away?
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 6:38:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I just drizzle olive oil on my everything... Broccoli included. I personally don't add much seasoning unless I am cooking something like my chicken and broccoli 'stew'. Then I use a ton of Lawery's seasoning salt.

I like protein bars, all are pretty decent these days. Good fast snack between meals. Whole foods are usually better but I like a good protein bar when I am at work and don't have time to sit and eat something else.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 6:48:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
... Whole foods are usually better but I like a good protein bar when I am at work and don't have time to sit and eat something else.

Good to know, this is exactly why I asked.

Link Posted: 1/19/2013 7:17:10 PM EDT
[#7]
First and foremost don't keep junk food around the house.  If you get an irresistible craving for some processed carby nastiness then at least then there's the distance between you and the store to think it over.  If there is healthy good stuff at home you probably won't bother.  

Step 2:  NO CHEAT DAYS.... so that when you do cheat its not really a big deal    

Step 3:  Go ahead and eat the bacon cheesburger, sans bun and with veggies piled high.  Go without for awhile and you won't miss white bread one bit.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 8:10:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I disagree a lot with this...pre-planned cheat days give you a "light at the end of the tunnel" saying no cheat days ever, usually results in a cheat day every other day...

Everyone's different though.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 8:34:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I disagree a lot with this...pre-planned cheat days give you a "light at the end of the tunnel" saying no cheat days ever, usually results in a cheat day every other day...  

It's sort of a tongue in cheek jab at the whole idea of dieting for me.  When I first started trying to lose weight/get in shape a couple years ago it was mentally exhausting to stick with the good food diet.  I'd tough out a few days avoiding processed food and sugary stuff and then all at once lose it mentally, declare a 'Cheat Day' and pig out.  Then I'd feel guilty, get down on myself, etc, etc.  And so my mantra became "NO CHEAT DAYS... so when you do cheat its not that bad."  Nowadays eating fresh veggies/fruit/meat and no processed junk is just how it is, don't really have to flex the willpower much at all, I just do it.  Cheat days are reserved for holidays and special social events, birthdays, etc.  and I don't guilt trip about it one damn bit  

I'm sort of trying to quit nicotine the same way right now.  First I switched to an e-cig.  I used it pretty much exclusively except when I was out drinking at concerts or whatnot, when I'd have a few real cigs.  Last week I had a minor cold and quit using my e cig for one day.  I decided to see just see how long I could go without it, call it a science experiment...  day 2-4 was hellish crazy turmoil in my brain.  7 days now and I feel pretty alright actually.  I keep telling myself I'm not really quitting smoking I'm just taking a break, and that I can go back to it any time I feel like it and it won't be a 'loss'
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 8:39:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's sort of a tongue in cheek jab at the whole idea of dieting for me.  When I first started trying to lose weight/get in shape a couple years ago it was mentally exhausting to stick with the good food diet.  I'd tough out a few days avoiding processed food and sugary stuff and then all at once lose it mentally, declare a 'Cheat Day' and pig out.  Then I'd feel guilty, get down on myself, etc, etc.  And so my mantra became "NO CHEAT DAYS... so when you do cheat its not that bad."  Nowadays eating fresh veggies/fruit/meat and no processed junk is just how it is, don't really have to flex the willpower much at all, I just do it.  Cheat days are reserved for holidays and special social events, birthdays, etc.  and I don't guilt trip about it one damn bit  

I'm sort of trying to quit nicotine the same way right now.  First I switched to an e-cig.  I used it pretty much exclusively except when I was out drinking at concerts or whatnot, when I'd have a few real cigs.  Last week I had a minor cold and quit using my e cig for one day.  I decided to see just see how long I could go without it, call it a science experiment...  day 2-4 was hellish crazy turmoil in my brain.  7 days now and I feel pretty alright actually.  I keep telling myself I'm not really quitting smoking I'm just taking a break, and that I can go back to it any time I feel like it and it won't be a 'loss'

Cool...everyone's different like I said

For me, I'd lose my mind if I thought I could never "cheat" again, and I'd end up just saying "fuck-it" and eating a whole tub of ice cream
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 9:08:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Cool...everyone's different like I said  

For me, I'd lose my mind if I thought I could never "cheat" again, and I'd end up just saying "fuck-it" and eating a whole tub of ice cream
[/div]

That's the vicious cycle of try then fail then give up that's kept me 'trying' to quit smoking for years.  It kept me 'trying to eat healthy' before that and 'trying to quit drinking' before that.  One by one the vices fall

Now if only I could succeed at the 'trying to quit banging crazy chicks' resolution.  Maybe I can learn to just bang them a little bit
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 9:54:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Eat fish or be fat
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:37:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:39:57 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Eat fish or be fat

Said no dietitian ever.

LOL.

Fish is great for you, but "eat fish or be fat" is just ignorant.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 8:28:08 AM EDT
[#15]
grow or kill anything you eat.  you'll get skinny fast, fatty.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 8:29:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 8:35:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
grow or kill anything you eat.  you'll get skinny fast, fatty.

Or die.

BREAKING NEWS:  NOBODY GETS OUT OF LIFE ALIVE!!

The point is your body has been designed to work.  Pulling up in the drive-thru for a 2500 calorie meal isn't what your genes had in mind the last 50,000 years.

And if you did die of starvation, you would be skinny before you went

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 9:03:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 11:41:57 AM EDT
[#19]
OP'er are you married?  Do you have enough will power to not cheat?  If so then a good diet should be a cake walk.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 12:15:31 PM EDT
[#20]
First post nailed it.

For a drink, I love beer.  Good beer, not the fizzy yellow kind.  I find that I drink a lot slower if I'm sipping down an Imperial Stout or Douple IPA!

If you like it, vodka w/ soda water and a lime.  That way you can change to straight soda water after one or two and no one but the waitress will be the wiser if you don't want to be "that guy"!

I drank an assload of manhattens the other night.  Not recommended for a diet!  One or two would have been OK, but I definitely over did it!

K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top