Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2009 7:42:49 PM EDT
I have a garage that is seperate from the house. It has the door that bends in sections and slides up into the ceiling. I currently have just the standard lock that all garage doors come with. It would be very easy to bust open. I will stop someone from getting in thats just passing by, but if someone is prepared they can easily get in. The garage door is the only wayin/out. So it has to be able to lock from the outside. Don't have any firearms in the garage but I have alot of money investedn tools, yard equipment and fishing gear. thanks.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 7:55:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have a garage that is seperate from the house. It has the door that bends in sections and slides up into the ceiling. I currently have just the standard lock that all garage doors come with. It would be very easy to bust open. I will stop someone from getting in thats just passing by, but if someone is prepared they can easily get in. The garage door is the only wayin/out. So it has to be able to lock from the outside. Don't have any firearms in the garage but I have alot of money investedn tools, yard equipment and fishing gear. thanks.

Not much I can contribute to your problem. Does it have a motor?

But an FYI, I am assuming if you have windows on the door you have removed the emergency release cord, thats a frequent way to get in.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 8:01:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Had the same problem when renting an old house in town and was storing my 56 chevy in it.  The garage was about 100 feet from the house and someone tried cutting my lock one night.  I bought a really nice lock first off, Rotalock, then bought a wireless security light that worked off of motion.  It made a beeping noise from the light and a wireless chime in my house and also turned on the bedroom light nearest the garage.  I don't remember the light set up but there are several out there.  You could also set up a fake camera, I think radio shack has them, shit, or set up a real motion activated camera, never can be too safe.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 8:41:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not much I can contribute to your problem. Does it have a motor?

But an FYI, I am assuming if you have windows on the door you have removed the emergency release cord, thats a frequent way to get in.

Forgot to mention that. It does not have a motor. All manual. Its actually connected to the house, but there is no way in.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 6:41:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Take a pair of Vise-Grip pliers and clamp them to the track just above one of the rollers.....it ain't going up.
Motion lights are a favorite. (inside and out) for the inside you could wire a light outside somewhere that you could see it, that way if someone was inside the garage you'll know it. Too many things trigger outside motion detectors, but that's alright.
Lag anchor a hasp to the ground close to the edge of the door...multiple locks?
Hungry shit-eating dog inside.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top