Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 4/22/2007 12:35:17 PM EDT
Well, it's about time to start planting my lawn. This is a new construction with a fresh backfill. I need to get it all leveled out and ready for seeding. It is fairly level, but there is still dozer tracks and some dirt mounds here and there. What is the best way level this out? Is there anything I can pull behind a garden tractor to do this? If not, I can rent whatever is required. Any help is appreciated!!

Thanks,
Kris
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 12:37:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/22/2007 12:40:39 PM EDT by operatorerror]
Truckload of Mexicans with shovels.

Available at your local Home Depot.

eta I bought a new house in the mid 80's. The backyard had some really bad leveling, water drained towards the house, heavy equipment tracks, etc. Called the builder to complain.

I was very surprised when a crew of shovel wielding migrants showed up. Job was done in record time though.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 12:38:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By operatorerror:
Truckload of Mexicans with shovels.

Available at your local Home Depot.

My Home Depot doesn't stock them. Can you ship a few to me?
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 12:42:23 PM EDT
5-6 foot piece of chain link fencing.

3-4 landscape timbers/4x4s etc.

some wire

length of rope or chain:

lay fencing on ground

lay timbers on top on at each end. spread some in between

tie timbers to fencing

use rope/chain to tie fencing/timber creation to back of mower.

run around yard til level.

not- does not do really large mounds/holes

Link Posted: 4/22/2007 12:46:13 PM EDT
If it is sandy or at least loose.

Take a very straight 2x4 (longer the better) and a 4ft level

Tie wrap the level to the edge of the 2x4

Working with someone, you can do it yourself but much harder.

Run the 2x4 back and forth in a sawing motion, keeping an eye on the level.

Then you only have foot and knee marks to even out.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 1:00:10 PM EDT
till it and rake it even

They make tow-behind tillers for tractors, you can probably rent one.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 5:20:42 PM EDT
A couple of similar approachs come to mind. First, something called a Harley Rock Rake. It attaches to a tractor and has a toothed bar that rotates and digs up any rocks just below the surface, as it's doing this, it'll leave behind a very smooth, finely milled surface of dirt. Ready for seeds.

Similar but a little more heavy duty is a reverse rotation tiller running off a tractor's PTO. It's not focused on rocks, it just tills up the soil and leaves it fine and smooth. (Note, a reverse rotation tiller puts the rocks and such UNDER the soils surface, I've got one for my tractor and the ground it leaves behind it is so finely chopped it's hard to believe) A walk behind tiller is NOT the way to go for this, too slow and it doesn't leave a smooth surface.

Now, if you've got a lot of mounds of dirt, a box blade behind a tractor run over things first will smooth out the worst of it, leaving things ready for a tiller/rock rake.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 5:28:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/22/2007 5:29:48 PM EDT by JC_]
http://cgi.ebay.com/BOBCAT-5B-LANDSCAPE-RAKE-ROCK-HOUND-2005_W0QQitemZ120022071489QQihZ002QQcategoryZ61567­QQcmdZViewItem

rent one of those and a skid steer - worked well for me
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 5:44:00 PM EDT
I rented a tractor and grader for the weekend for $200 and did it myself. I have 2 acres in the front and 4 in the back from new construction and I am also getting ready to seed. The company that I hired to clear the land left deep ruts and bulldozer trails as well.
Top Top