Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2005 1:34:18 PM EDT
Well, seeing as I'm in an apartment on the second floor, a real gun safe is a no-go (plus, I have no place to put it). As such, I'm going to go with Stack-On.

Now, I'm going to be putting two of these things into a VERY small closet (44" by 26" deep, access being through a 24" door smack in the middle of the 44" width). I'm thinking of two 10-gun versions.

Now the question is, what's the best way to secure these to the walls? Obviously I need to bite into the studs (I hope they line up....), but what length, thickness, pitch, etc. of screw or lag bolt?

Also, from past experience it seems I'll have to remove the running board so the cabinets sit flat against the wall. Since this will be in a very tight closet, should I bother?

Granted, I'd prefer a safe, but one does what one can. The closet door will also be locked (mostly to keep the nosey pest-control and maintenance people out, and the REALLY cool thing is that this apartment has a sprinkler system, with a head immediately outside the closet door, so fire is less of a worry than it was before I realized that detail.

Could be worse!

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:38:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Use about a dozen 5/16" lag screws directly into the studs, if you can. Drill new holes in the cabinet if required. Reinforce the holes in the cabinet with large fender washers. Once you have the cabinte secured to the wall, you need to reinforce the closure of the cabinet. Anyone with a nail bar can open a Stack-On door in about 0.02 seconds. Make some steel straps to bar the door shut. Secure the straps with padlocks and forget about the cheesy clyinder lock on the cabinet.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:40:47 PM EDT
[#2]
No experience with that kind, but I bet it will come with the proper length bolt if it's pre-drilled.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:42:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Make some steel straps to bar the door shut. Secure the straps with padlocks and forget about the cheesy clyinder lock on the cabinet.

How the heck am I supposed to do that in an apartment without a sheet metal shop?

Interesting idea, though. Hmmm......
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:43:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
No experience with that kind, but I bet it will come with the proper length bolt if it's pre-drilled.

Now that you mention it, they do.

Still, I may do what DzlBenz recommended as far as the additional holes. It certainly can't hurt.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:46:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
How the heck am I supposed to do that in an apartment without a sheet metal shop?

Interesting idea, though. Hmmm......

It's a pretty easy fabrication. You will need a bench vise, though. And some good drill bits. I'll make a little sketch in a couple of days and send it to you, or post it here.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:51:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'll make a little sketch in a couple of days and send it to you, or post it here.

Cool!

I need to get a decent vise anyway. I plan on building my next AR.

Question is, HTF do I mount it on a $1000 desk without ruining the desk?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top