Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2001 4:22:02 PM EDT
Bought some surplus British DPM fatigues today for the upcoming bow season. It's a used set, but looks absolutely brand new. Still has that new sheen to it. Besides washing it a hundreds times, what can I do to dull it up a bit? I did wash them with a 1/4 cup of bleach, but it didn't do anything. Plus, bleach is hard on fabrics. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 4:28:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 4:31:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't "fade" your camo.  To get rid of any "sheen" don't wash with fabric softener.
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 4:32:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Ditto what SGB said.  I've never heard of anyone intentionally trying to fade their camouflage and honestly can't think of anything that would help.  If you think they're too bold, smear some mud or something on them.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 7:11:33 AM EDT
[#4]
"Fading" the uniforms will not only lessen the effectiveness of the camo, but it will wash out anti IR reflective dyes that are added to the uniforms.

That being said, the safest way to "fade" clothing is to wash them, sometimes repeatedly, with a couple of cups of liquid fabric softener.
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 7:35:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Take all your Cammies to the Laundry, have them pressed and starched every week.
Then wear them everyday for four or twenty years.
Every so often, go out into the woods and roll around in the mud. Wear these for two weeks without changing them, or bathing.
Repeat.
Then your Cammies will look just right.
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 9:16:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Ditto, don't fade!
Something else to consider here, use only Hunting type liquid soap (see Wal-mart sport dept)to wash them in, something to do w/ the phosphorus in commercial laundry detergent, which according to hunting mags deer can see?
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 9:39:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 9:43:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Wear them around the house or cutting grass.
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 9:50:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 9:58:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Well, I guess I overstated "fade". I just notice that the colors on my new BDU's are a little striking. Like foliage you would find in the rainforest. Just wanted to tone down the colors slightly for a "Minnesota" look. After washing them yesterday, I hung them outside.  Now that they are dry, they look better. I think they definitely had some fabric brighter in them from their last washing. Thanks for the input. Wish me luck. Bow season is less than a month away.[:)]
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 10:16:42 AM EDT
[#11]
From what I remember, our OD uniform (we didn't call them BDU's then) faded very quickly when we wore them 24/7.  I don't know if it was because we slept in them, exposed them to lots of sunlight, or if it was leaving them coated with sweat for days, but they faded pretty quickly.  So, next weekend, put the BDU's on and don't take them off or shower until Monday.  They'll probably be faded enough for you then.
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 11:37:40 AM EDT
[#12]
If you wear them full time for a month outdoors, while working and playing with heavy equipment, they will fade.  don't wash them, or shower during this "break in" period, and they will also stand up on their own!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top