Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2013 4:58:56 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/27/2013 4:59:27 PM EST by NoStockBikes]
No digital inputs on this receiver, otherwise I'd just pump it in via optical and AppleTV. I really like this receiver for music.

I have a headphone jack to RCA cable, but I want a more direct, unmolested way to get the signal out. I had a rack-mount dock for old style iPod, but I want portability and iPhone 5+ jack.

Suggestions on a good solution for less than $100, preferably less than $50?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:04:43 PM EST
Your stereo mini>RCA jack is going to be your best bet.

Mine is set up that way and while I'd like to have a "pure" connection, going through the ipod's headphone preamps isn't that bad.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:07:09 PM EST
I had a special cable made to hook up my 40gb iPod to my HT receiver via the Apple X pin socket. This is prefrable soundwise to using the ear phone jack and works more as a 'line level out, 'bypassing a bad sounding head amp circuit, I've been told.

Two RCA jacks on the other end allow me to hook it into any line level input on any piece of stereo gear with RCA jacks.

www.audiogon.com>cables and see what you see. I think my guy was out of Hong Kong and used nice wire and RCA jacks. Price was $30-$40 shipped. They're out there, even in non-audio boutique guise.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:07:34 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/27/2013 5:10:48 PM EST by Cazach]
Have you considered Bluetooth? Logitech makes a simple unit for about $30 that has RCA's out for your stereo.

Eta: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Speaker-Adapter-Bluetooth/dp/B004VM1T5S/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1382926120&sr=1-1&keywords=logitech+bluetooth+adapter
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:14:10 PM EST
iPhone/iPod Apple connector > RCA plugs

This is something that you want, but with the appropriate Apple X pin connector that works with your device.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:14:56 PM EST
just google "docking"
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:29:43 PM EST
Considering this is an Apple product, some form of space-docking equipment is probably more appropriate.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:03:55 PM EST
It looks like there's no cables for the new style plug... Liking the idea of the Bluetooth. Have that in my truck stereo, and have seen it in new receivers, but hadn't thought about adaptor units. That Logitech just might work.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:20:37 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NoStockBikes:
It looks like there's no cables for the new style plug... Liking the idea of the Bluetooth. Have that in my truck stereo, and have seen it in new receivers, but hadn't thought about adaptor units. That Logitech just might work.

View Quote

Bluetooth is going to sound much worse than a cable from headphone jack to RCA.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:28:18 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/27/2013 6:56:12 PM EST by ChrisGarrett]
Originally Posted By NoStockBikes:

View Quote

If you have the new Lightning equipped Apple 5s, or iPad, you can buy a 30 pin adpater for it that should let you use the cable I linked above, or any of the RCA tipped cables for earlier Apple products.

Either that, or just go the mini-pin>phone jack route and enjoy the tunes.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:31:36 PM EST
Appletv+ DtoA converter.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:32:04 PM EST
Use this iPhone 5 Dock with a 1/8 to RCA cable plugged into the stereo inputs.

Or Bluetooth adapter, like mentioned above.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:33:11 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/27/2013 6:34:03 PM EST by Gulftanker]
Apple Composite AV Cable:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC748ZM/A/apple-composite-av-cable?fnode=72

I have one to run my ipod and iphone on my old 1990 Pioneer receiver and watch video on a newer LCD tv. Also plugs into a usb charger to power the ipod at the same time.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:36:17 PM EST
Originally Posted By cedjunior:
just google "docking"
View Quote

Google image search would be better, pictures are better to compare different solutions.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:40:34 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/27/2013 6:43:32 PM EST by Tankdawg0057]
OP I just use an old tape deck to headphone jack converter. The kind you used to use before they put cd players in cars and would need to use a portable cd player in a car that only had a tape deck. I'm not sure if the signal is the best, but mine sounds just fine and it is a cheap fix. Put tape deck adapter in tape player, push play, insert headphone jack into iphone's headphone port, push play on iphone. Don't turn your volume all the way up on the iphone or it will sound shitty, I like to leave it about 3/4 of the way up on the iphone and just use the stereo's volume control to do the rest.

ETA: I've got an old set up around here somewhere that is a headphone jack male connector to a slit red/white RCA connector that I used to use to run my laptop through an old house stereo. That could work if you have RCA inputs. The wire could be found online or at a radioshack.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:20:20 AM EST
If you are running itunes, the airport express from apple works great. I have used one for a few years now.
Top Top