Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:49:23 PM EDT
[#1]
hustler raptor 
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:50:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:30:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I had what's now called poulan pro.

22hp briggs,46" deck, garden Tractor.  Had the wheel weights and plow blade for winter, too.  Hydrostatic transmission.  Beat the snot out of that thing for 6 years, and never broke it. . Was living in NW Connecticut, and we got shit loads of snow.  Had 2.5 acres of grass to mow.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:35:08 PM EDT
[#4]
  I am enjoying my cub cadet but have only had it for a years so no long term problems to deal with yet.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:40:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not sure what their cost is, but I inherited a Kubota from my father and the thing hasn't let me down yet.  It definitely looks way better built than most of the ones I see at Lowes and Home Depot. 
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:46:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not sure what their cost is, but I inherited a Kubota from my father and the thing hasn't let me down yet.  It definitely looks way better built than most of the ones I see at Lowes and Home Depot. 
View Quote
Kubota BX? Yeah that's in a tier farrrrrr beyond MTD.

woah, just went to their website and saw the lawn tractor tab. Apparently i've been living under a rock. Interesting.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:50:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I have had very good experience with Husqvarna
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:26:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Does it need to be new or would something that's maybe 5yrs old off Craigslist work?

Toro, Skaggs, Hustler, Dixie, Dixon, Husqvarna Pro, John Deere 525/625, Grasshopper, Country King, Cub Cadet are a few I can think of that would be around the $3K mark depending on how old and how kept with proper maintenance.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:46:00 AM EDT
[#9]
If Husqvarna is the closest servicing dealer, get a Husqvarna.  Zero turn for the win, though.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:01:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
U no Reed two gud.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
hustler raptor 
U no Reed two gud.
You didn't really explain why a zero turn is not an option.  You even mentioned that you and others bring zero turns out to mow the grass.

To be honest, you no rite so gud.  

"mowing schedule changes" doesn't tell us much.  

What do you think this church needs?  That's what we need to know to give you ideas.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:40:17 AM EDT
[#11]
If it were me I'd get a John Deere 6130M with a finishing mower attachment. It will check all of your boxes plus it's all wheel drive so you don't have to worry about getting stuck in the grass or low spots. Maybe a GM11 mower?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 3:10:55 AM EDT
[#12]
ero turns are a no go since we have a mowing schedule that changes from year to year.
View Quote

Why would zero turns be a "no go"?
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 3:51:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Whichever one you do choose to buy - don't expect it too last like your old mower.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 4:24:45 AM EDT
[#14]
See if someone wants to upgrade and donate their current lawnmower.  Talk to one of the servicing dealers in the area that may have a customer that wants to trade in or donate for a tax write off.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 4:43:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
ero turns are a no go since we have a mowing schedule that changes from year to year.
The Lawn works in mysterious ways.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 4:49:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I don't understand neither. I just got a new zero turn this year. I will never mow on a regular riding mower again. My Zero turn cut my 4 hours mow time in half.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 7:46:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:00:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Some people who will be mowing won't understand the concept of using levers to steer.  I know Cub Cadet makes a zero turn with a steering wheel but the ones I've seen are out of the price range.
View Quote
Holy moly - that's some industrial-grade morons you've got mowing there.

Anyone who can't figure out how to use a ZTR mower within about 30 seconds should probably not be trusted with anything above a reel-type mower.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:05:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Anyone who can't figure out how to use a ZTR mower within about 30 seconds should probably not be trusted with anything above a reel-type mower.
View Quote
Agreed. If they can't figure out this mystical new technology then they probably shouldn't be operating anything. ZTRs destroy lawn tractors in regards to cutting grass.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:11:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Some people who will be mowing won't understand the concept of using levers to steer.  I know Cub Cadet makes a zero turn with a steering wheel but the ones I've seen are out of the price range.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't understand neither. I just got a new zero turn this year. I will never mow on a regular riding mower again. My Zero turn cut my 4 hours mow time in half.
In that case it won't matter what you buy because it'll be broken down in less than six months and nobody will know what happened to it.  Then they'll all bitch and moan because you bought junk.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:21:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Agreed. If they can't figure out this mystical new technology then they probably shouldn't be operating anything. ZTRs destroy lawn tractors in regards to cutting grass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No kidding. Sounds like a recipe for missing appendages and destroyed property.
Give 'em some safety scissors and set 'em loose.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:23:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If it were me I'd get a John Deere 6130M with a finishing mower attachment. It will check all of your boxes plus it's all wheel drive so you don't have to worry about getting stuck in the grass or low spots. Maybe a GM11 mower?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/277411/JD-191959.JPG
View Quote
Nobody pays list.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:30:04 AM EDT
[#23]
We have Cub Cadets at the fire department. Both are about 10 years old, get the snot beat out of them and still run like a sewing machine. I don't think either of them have ever had an oil change or any other form of maintenance. The key is to get one from a dealer and not a big box store. There is a difference in product lines between what a dealer sells vs Home Depot. Ours have The Kawasaki engines and should run between $2-$3k. I was impressed enough to buy one of my own last year.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:31:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Big money for even a basic model. Kind of silly to buy if you're not in the business of cutting grass.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:49:50 AM EDT
[#25]
I don't think you can get into a new garden tractor for $3k but you could get a John Deere X3## used for $3k with low hours. Just don't get an x300 (it's an overpriced lawn mower posing as a garden tractor). If you must buy new then go HD or Lowes and pick your favorite color. If it were me I'd lean towards the brands that do not fall under the MTD umbrella. Use the left over money to improve the church in another way.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:13:07 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm here to make the case for a used zero turn. When you make up the schedule for mowing just make sure that everyone gets a quick lesson on the zero turn. High school dropouts use them every day on mowing crews. Your fellow congregants can figure it out.

Now the why: a used professional zero turn is intended for everyday hard use. You'll put the same amount of hours on it in a season that a mowing company would in a week. Additionally, you'll be able to find parts and service for a Grasshopper or similar locally; you can't say the same for something that you'd get from Home Depot. You should be able to find something in your price range that will give you years of good service.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:16:20 AM EDT
[#27]
FPNI.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:28:55 AM EDT
[#28]
I've had good luck with Kawasaki engines (older JD) as have others I know.  I don't know if JD or any of the other makes offer Kawasaki engines in the $3k and under price range, but, if they do, that would narrow my choices.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:41:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
You do realize that the mowers sold at big box stores are shit right?  Those mowers are made as cheap as possible to meet a certain price point (just measure the deck thickness). Do you honestly think you could buy a real JD with a 64" deck and 25hp for $3k? lol
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:49:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:57:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why no zero turn?
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:59:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Riding mowers are a $1600-2800 gamble and most are disposable. Most lines are MTD made, just different stickers/paint and some specs.

Find a used Toro, Ariens, Gravely, ExMark, Scag, Hustler, Bad Boy, Dixie Chopper, Grass Hopper ZTR. A new ZTR with Kawasaki motor and at least 2800 series hydros will last a very long time. And if you shop 2016 models you can get it around 4K and have a 2-4 year unlimited hour warranty. I researched mowers and have a 3-4 page thread here on the ZTR choices.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:05:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Maybe I read it wrong, but I think they only have 3 grand to spend.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:10:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Look for an older John Deere 300 or 400 series garden tractor. 

There are several nice ones, both gas and diesel, on craigslist in Ohio right now in your price range. 

I'm in a similar boat, but I want a zero turn for my place. But, I don't want to spend that much. Hoping to find a Toro Z Master for $1500ish. 

Good luck OP. 

A few nice ones I saw (left cold): 

https://columbus.craigslist.org/grd/6095763001.html

https://mansfield.craigslist.org/grd/6061680043.html

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/grd/6087541380.html

https://mansfield.craigslist.org/grd/6081908208.html

https://toledo.craigslist.org/grd/6061677513.html
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:12:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:12:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Last year I bought a Kawasaki powered Husqvarna GT52XL fram a dealer for 3K on sale. It has the Hydro Gear "Fast" differential and fab'd deck. I lubed the deck spindles and front hubs when I got it home. I'm pleased with its performance.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:21:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Acre and a half.  You need an MDR50, just need to up the budget a bit.

Trilo MDR50 Biggest Rotary Mower Demo at VANMAC Field Day

Eta: skip to 50s
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:21:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You do realize that the mowers sold at big box stores are shit right?  Those mowers are made as cheap as possible to meet a certain price point (just measure the deck thickness). Do you honestly think you could buy a real JD with a 64" deck and 25hp for $3k? lol
View Quote

Where did I say anything about a 25HP 64" deck JD?  I've got a T Series Kubota which has none of those features. 
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:22:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Is the old White mower a GT 2055 or 1855?

If so, they are very well built machines.  Invest some money into it

Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:25:15 AM EDT
[#40]
ZTR's are the devil's work?

I've had a Hustler Fasttrack for a long time, changed one bearing and the blades many times.  Bulletproof.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:42:47 AM EDT
[#41]
A new John Deere X300 will cost you a little more than $3000, but not much more. It's the start of the REAL John Deere mowers, and not just the relabeled cheapies that you see at big box stores.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:51:30 AM EDT
[#42]
I've got a Husqvarna GT52XLS that has been super reliable. It's got a Kawasaki motor that always starts and a fabricated deck. It lists just slightly over 3k. Highly recommended.

Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:52:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Where did I say anything about a 25HP 64" deck JD?  I've got a T Series Kubota which has none of those features. 
View Quote
All I was saying is that mowers from big box stores shouldn't be the standard used when comparing . They all suck.

Kubotas are great mowers btw.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:55:17 AM EDT
[#44]
John Deere 140. Around $2K and will easily handle the area you indicated.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:15:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My grand pa is going to be 91 this year.

My sister and BIL bought a two handle zero turn lawn mower. The day they got it, he wanted to try it out. It literally took him 10 feet and he was using it perfectly.

You really shouldn't let those folks near anything with blades.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:16:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Nobody pays list.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nobody pays list.
That's what I mean...he can probably get it for cheaper and it would be the last mower they would ever need.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:17:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So they say....
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:25:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
hustler raptor 
View Quote
heard good things about Hustlers

I have a great Kubota dealers close by and own one of their skid steers....so for me Kubota would be the choice.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:42:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I've got a Husqvarna GT52XLS that has been super reliable. It's got a Kawasaki motor that always starts and a fabricated deck. It lists just slightly over 3k. Highly recommended.

http://husqvarnacdn.azureedge.net//qs_mh=460&mw=460&ver=00000000T000000/_$_/media/dam/husqvarna/garden%20lawnmowers%20and%20ride-on%20mowers/tractors/2014/12/08/23/26/h310-0483.ashx
View Quote
Got the same one, for 2 acres its been a great little GT. No issues other than the filter gets filthy pretty fast but thats a desert thing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top