Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2006 12:45:06 PM EDT
The little woman has to buy one tonight.  HH Gregg has some neat looking Dysons but I need the input of the the almighty hivemind.  Hep, hep, hep....everyone to get from screets! <---old movie line.  Nobody will remember.

<Edit title to make it fit the forum.  --tbk1>
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:48:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:50:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Our Dyson seems to do great on all surfaces we have used it on so far including pergo (which is pretty much smooth and flat like hardwood).
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:52:22 PM EDT
[#3]
As long as a woman is running it while pies are in the oven, who cares?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:52:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
My wife likes her Oreck--except for the lack of a hose.  I thought I did good in buying it, but she's only happy with it for flat floors.  It does do a nice job for that--and is quiet, etc.  

You said, "Lack of hose."  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:55:59 PM EDT
[#5]
You can spend $600 on a Dyson (from the people who brought you "Overpriced Hummer Status Symbol") but on hardwood or tile there is simply no reason.  Get yourself one of those really light "sweeper" vaccums, usually for less than $60.  Spend the savings on guns or ammo.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:58:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
As long as a woman is running it while pies are in the oven, who cares?

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:58:36 PM EDT
[#7]
have heard that hardwoods and beater bars (high speed?) are not a great combination.  I used a cheep shark on mine for the month I had them while I was selling my house.  It worked well for that and was lite.  That said, I was vacuming daily.  It was eseentially an electric broom.

I think Orick does have some solutions for that - but can not recall (seem to rember them bragging about their suction as apposed to their beater bars).  Likewise, dyson brags about suction so they probably brag about being used on hardwoods as well - I had a phantom (which is esentially a pre-dyson dyson design.  It would not be my first choice on hardwoods simply because of weight and size.  
----
My wife worked as a house cleaner for a bit.  She wants an orick - but was impressed by the new kerby the salesman had also.  Funny the the phantom (which was one of the highest rated vacumes a few years ago), does not make her wish list...
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:03:00 PM EDT
[#8]
If you are actually going to spring for a Dyson, why not just put in a built in?  More power, you can add the little slots that beat dust pans, moves the noise out of the house, and you can tie it into your workshop for a dust control system.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:08:07 PM EDT
[#9]
For my hard floors, i.e entire first floor of my house, I use my shop vac and the dry floor attachment.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:10:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I actually was in the same boat as you.  Our old vacuum "sucked" no pun intended and needed to be replaced.  We have stained concrete floors through most of the house w/ exeception of the bedrooms which is carpet.  I decided after all of my research to get a Dyson DC14 and I am amazed at how well it works.  I also like the built in hose and how far it will reach.

Yesterday I used my neighbors vacume to clean the house.  He has a decent Hoover.  I came home today and broke out the Dyson and was amazed at what it picked up that the Hoover missed.

I got mine at Sears on sale.  It was normally 430 on sale for 408.  Plus I got a $30 instant rebate so it made it 399.  

I would say give Dyson a try.  With the research I did, most everyone that has had one really like it, and I'm no exception.

Nick
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:10:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You can spend $600 on a Dyson (from the people who brought you "Overpriced Hummer Status Symbol") but on hardwood or tile there is simply no reason.  Get yourself one of those really light "sweeper" vaccums, usually for less than $60.  Spend the savings on guns or ammo.

You should see what you get out of the Dyson canister after vacuuming a room supposedly cleaned by a regular vacuum.
We wouldn't have paid $600 mind you...ours was well under $500 if I remember right.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:32:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You should see what you get out of the Dyson canister after vacuuming a room supposedly cleaned by a regular vacuum.
We wouldn't have paid $600 mind you...ours was well under $500 if I remember right.

Kinda like how I wipe and wipe and wipe and then somehow I still end up with skid marks?

Oops, too much information!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:34:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kinda like how I wipe and wipe and wipe and then somehow I still end up with skid marks?

Oops, too much information!

That sounds like time for a quick shower.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:37:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a Dyson and it works great on wood floors, but then again just about anything will.

A shop vac would kill 2 birds with one stone....
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:45:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Frankly I find a Swiffer is quick and easy for hardwood floors, and it does a good job on flat tile too.

We bought a couple of Sharp uprights several years ago after seeing they had one of the highest ratings.  They have been excellent, and were not too expensive.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:22:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Now I'm confused.  She's getting a broom and a dust pan.  Now, how much .556 can I get for $500?

I don't see a change to make it fit the forum.  Was the title too long?  And nobody remembers that old line either.  Submarines were in the harbor or something.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:57:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I would consult Consume's Report at the local library and see what they have to say about vacuum cleaners.  They recently did an extensive evaluation on vacuum cleaners.  You don't have to buy what they recommend at least read what problems they encountered.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top