Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2009 12:12:15 PM EDT
I got a free gym membership through my work and I was wondering when a good time to go would be. Ideally I'd like to go around 530 p.m. but I get the feeling that that is when everyone else wants to go.
Link Posted: 3/7/2009 12:30:29 PM EDT
[#1]
right now
Link Posted: 3/7/2009 1:38:38 PM EDT
[#2]
The best time is before 'dunlop' disease sets in.. But anytime is better than none..

When we had a y membership, anytime after 4 or 430 was a BAD time.. You ended up waiting for machines because most ppl are getting off of work and hitting the Y before supper..

Brian

Link Posted: 3/8/2009 6:04:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I like early morning right before going to work.  Most of the people there early in the morning are there for one thing.  Most of the posers are still in bed.
Link Posted: 3/9/2009 5:39:45 AM EDT
[#4]
When I lived in town and had a gym membership I preferred to go first thing in the morning too, a lot fewer people, no waiting for machines, and no one is too inclined to want to talk or visit much...at 5 am most everyone is as surly and unsociable as I am, LOL.
Link Posted: 3/9/2009 8:12:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I like to go in the morning, as others have said less people, and most are not there to just check out women/guys or whatever they like.
Link Posted: 3/9/2009 11:04:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I work night shift, so I go as soon as I get off work (usually get there around 0730 or 0800. It's nice and relatively empty. The first time I went there was after school got out - it was jam packed full of people.
Link Posted: 3/9/2009 11:08:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I remember reading a while back that tests concluded the average individual was strongest mid afternoon.
Link Posted: 3/9/2009 11:10:35 AM EDT
[#8]
It depends on the gym, but after work was always a nightmare for me.  I like to hit the gym early in the morning - fewer people there, and those that are there are wanting to get in, workout and done so they can get to their jobs, not piss around and/or flirt with people.

The bottom line though is to go when you can ensure you get and keep the habit of going, make a plan, and have the energy to focus on that plan and what you are doing.  Too many people hit the gym with the vague idea that they will exercise in some random pattern of moves, meandering around the gym, getting in the way of people who are there to work out.  Worse are the idiots who are only there to pose for pickups.
Link Posted: 3/9/2009 11:19:21 AM EDT
[#9]
If you train in the A.M. it will increase your metabolism for the rest of the day.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2009 12:14:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/9/2009 8:09:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I've always went by the theory that you should go around sunrise because if you make your time after work, there is more of a chance that you'd skip it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:49:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Its usually best to lift in the morning after waking up because you are fully rested, and your testosterone levels are there highest.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:12:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I made my best gains when I was bartending... I'd hit the (24hr) gym just before midnight. Completely empty except for the clown napping at the front desk.

No wait, no distractions, just me and a whole lot of iron.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:15:36 AM EDT
[#14]
For me, I go at 530 am.  Only a handful of people.  No waiting on a machine.  No one talks except for the occasional hello.  I have been there during the afternoon and evening on a few occasions and I end up getting pissed off at the idiots standing around talking and not lifting.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:06:11 AM EDT
[#15]
I like going in the morning, around 930.  The before work crowd is gone, and I am done before the lunch bunch shows up.  The weight area is usually empty, and there is still some nice eye candy in the cardio area for motivation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top