Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2006 4:04:55 AM EDT
Living in high humidity FL, safe in closet.  Am not shooting much at all, so I need to know what is a good solution for longer term storage.  Gun socks, bags, goldenrod, spray down of firearms with a protectant, Damp Rid, etc.?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:13:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Cosmoline.  Lots & lots of cosmoline.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:14:57 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Cosmoline.  Lots & lots of cosmoline.

Not THAT long term!  I still want to be able to grab the rifle and go shooting without spending a long time cleaning it before hand.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:35:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd go with the special plastic/mylar/composite bags with a VCI product made for firarms that are available from all the usual suspects (Brownells, Midway, etc.). A few years ago I needed to store a firearm in a hi-humid, low-high temp. area for a couple years. I cleaned the gun as normal, oiled a LITTLE heavier than normal and sealed the gun into a bag marketed by "Kleen-Bore" I bought from Sportsmans' Guide. I took the gun out after almost three years and it looked like the day I sealed it up.

If you are using a safe I would go with a 3 layer approach of - light oiling, "Goldenrod" and a Silica based dessicant. Do not use the "Damp-Rid" product in a safe. It does not hold the moisture and will release it back into the safe environment with Rh changes due to temp. variations.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top