Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/28/2001 6:53:29 AM EDT
I had a few friends over the the day that I had not seen in awhile so I was telling them about my gun collection.

While I was showing them my various guns they were amazed when they saw my SAR2.  What hell would you need one of those for, is what they said?

I was not sure how to answer.

A)  Because I can

B)  Because they look cool

C)  Because I have actually read the Constitution

D)  Because they are fun

E)  Because the ammo is cheap

F)  Because Clinton hates them

G)  Home defense

H)  For when TSHTF

I)  Because I like military "type" weapons.

I didn't even know where to start making my point.  What do you say?
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 6:55:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd tell them.......

Link Posted: 6/28/2001 6:56:13 AM EDT
[#2]
"Why do you practice cannabalism every Sunday?" usually gets a response. But it only really works if they are Christian.

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 7:02:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Why do people buy cars capable on 150-200 mph when they can't be legally driven at that speed anywhere in this country?

Because they can.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 7:04:34 AM EDT
[#4]
All of the above reasons are valid.

The best ones:
C,D,G,H
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 7:11:26 AM EDT
[#5]
its an instrement of god which is used to fall teh heritics and blasphermers whom oppose the kingdom??
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 7:11:48 AM EDT
[#6]
As a means to suppress tyranny, a modern day 'watering can' for the tree of liberty, so I can enjoy the sound of freedom, for the defense of life, liberty and property, and lastly, because Rajgar and the MolePeople have been reappearing!
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 7:13:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
"Why do you practice cannabalism every Sunday?" usually gets a response. But it only really works if they are Christian.

Kharn
View Quote

If you wanna take at shot at someone, try to get your facts straight.

CATHOLICS roughly believe what you accuse Christians of above.

CATHOLIC does NOT equal Christian. Only those who have received Jesus Christ as their Lord and Saviour are considered "Christian." Catholic is another whole thing.

Christians DO NOT believe (as a rule) that the "eucharist" (which is a Catholic term itself) turns into the literal body and blood of Christ.

Neither do most Christians partake of the "Lord's Table' every Sunday.

Further, MOST real Christians are pro-RKBA, as they acknowledge the sinfulness of man, his need for Christ as Saviour, and DO NOT blame an inanimate object for man's sinfulness to misuse said object.

So, really, all you've accomplished here is making yourself look silly.

Good work, kharn.

Link Posted: 6/28/2001 7:15:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Please take the religious stuff to another thread.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 7:16:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
its an instrement of god which is used to fall teh heritics and blasphermers whom oppose the kingdom??
View Quote

Please put down the bong, and slowly back away from the computer.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 7:18:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 7:20:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 7:20:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Please take the religous stuff to another thread.

Thanks.
View Quote

I don't blame you for your request, but others opened the door. I just tried to slam it shut.

Now, as to your question, the MAIN reason I own "assault weapons" is -

I am required, according to the Second Amendment, to be armed with weapons of common military useage, and sufficient supply of ammo, so that I can report to the "unorganized militia," should I be so required by my state gov't, for the purpose of repelling a tyrannical federal gov't.

All my other reasons have been stated above.

Link Posted: 6/28/2001 7:23:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By The Beer Slayer:
and the preaching begins......
View Quote

Odd comment, that.

Why don't you castigate the individual who made a FALSE ACCUSATION, and cluttered up this thread in the first place???

Instead, you attack me.

Weird sense of justice you have.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 7:24:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Scary guns are good because they scare people.
I want my guns to be able to:

1. Kill
2. Wound
3. Scare
4. Entertain
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 7:27:06 AM EDT
[#15]
I did take them shooting and they LOVED it!  It didn't seem so ridiculous then.

I was shooting a steel plate at 100 yards that *pings* everytime you hit it, then I opened fire on a closer target rapid fire style.  My buddies eyes lit up and all he could say was, "I gotta try that"

Mission completed.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 7:28:38 AM EDT
[#16]
I am sorry if I have offended anyone. I'm Catholic and not well versed in other Christian faiths.  Most of my debates with antis have been amoung people of my own faith (something like 95% of the people I have debated), and the shock value of the question alone usually gets them to stop prying into my choice in rifles.

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 7:32:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Off topic section of post:

CATHOLIC does NOT equal Christian. Only those who have received Jesus Christ as their Lord and Saviour are considered "Christian." Catholic is another whole thing.

Christians DO NOT believe (as a rule) that the "eucharist" (which is a Catholic term itself) turns into the literal body and blood of Christ.

View Quote

Who's making who look silly?? Catholics don't equal Christian????????????????????????????????????????????????????? I'm not even going to comment on that one. That must have been some good crack you smoked up.

Also if you want to get your facts straight as well catholics don't believe that the eucharist is "literrally" the body and blood of christ. It is all symbolic. I think (hope) Kharh knew this, and I think his whole post was meant to be humerous, or at least a "think about it" comment to say to someone, not a religious shot.

It does amaze me, though how people can think that they believe in the one true religion and everyone else is wrong. "Those catholics can't even be called christians, because MY religion is the only one that is christian." Wars have started from mentalities like that.

Anuyway, on topic those are all valid things to tell them.
Another one is "Why not?".

For the 'what do you need that for' question... reply "for whatever I want."

For the 'why do you have that', a good reply is: "The better question is why DON'T YOU have one?"
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 7:34:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I am sorry if I have offended anyone. I'm Catholic and not well versed in other Christian faiths.  Most of my debates with antis have been amoung people of my own faith (something like 95% of the people I have debated), and the shock value of the question alone usually gets them to stop prying into my choice in rifles.

Kharn
View Quote

Unfortunately, ALOT of "religious" people are turning anti gun. My experisnce with such people is that they are NOT Christian (or even good Catholics)

Far as I can tell, the ONLY thing that will work for these people is a good rap in the forehead with a 2x4.  [}:D]

Seriuosly, the singlemost effective thing I've ever seen work on converting an ANTI (who actually has a functional brain - important distinction) is to take them shooting. Very often, they LOVE it, and are almost instantly converted.

Which is not surprising. Knowledge FREQUENTLY dispells irrational fear.

Beyond, that, you make want to disassemble the firearm in front of them so that they can see that no evil spirit emerges from the gun.  [:D]

Link Posted: 6/28/2001 7:34:36 AM EDT
[#19]
I tell them because my town has more churches per capita than anyone else and I'm afraid one of these religious zealots are going to snap at any moment, I need to be prepared for that since I am a blasphemer and a heathen who would undoubtedly be targeted.[;D]
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 7:36:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 7:36:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Better to have it and not need it...than... not have it when need it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 7:39:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 7:45:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn
View Quote

CATHOLICS roughly believe what you accuse Christians of above.

Neither do most Christians partake of the "Lord's Table' every Sunday.

Further, MOST real Christians are pro-RKBA, as they acknowledge the sinfulness of man, his need for Christ as Saviour, and DO NOT blame an inanimate object for man's sinfulness to misuse said object.

Good work, kharn.

View Quote

Amen brother! Amen! iam christian and we get the blame for being nuts all because of the christian identity groups out there. we get the blame because if you have an ar15 or a AK47 your
a nut and a killer in the eye's of the government. the part with the 2x4 is a great idea!
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 7:47:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Yeah, I forgot about the second ammendment aspect. Depending on who I am talking to I have simply told them the truth. "Well, it's pretty much just for fun and hunting. I blast a lot of ammo at the range playing around, then I kill deer in the winter time with them. But mainly I just keep them around in case I ever need to overthrow the government."

Now you can't tell that to everyone, because they WILL take it the wrong way. But be sure to explain to them WHY you said it like that. "See, america was founded on a revolution. Certain "inalienable" rights were ensured to us by the founders during that revolt against england. One of those rights is to keep and bear arms. For whatever reason is fine, however the underlying message is "militia" being neccessary for a free state. When the government gets too much power and control we must be prepared to revolt again and start a new, free America again. With no opposition frm armed citizens, we become a communist, facist, or other oppresive nation. As long as people are armed and prepapred to revolt, the government is kept in check by the people. After all, isn't the government supposed to be "by the people and FOR the people". So what happens when the government is for the government and the people are the mindless subjects? We have to be prepared to get rid of that government and replace it with a new one that is FOR the people."

That is a very good argument I have changed a lot of people's views on, but only if you have time to sit and have an involved conversation with them.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 7:49:10 AM EDT
[#25]
D: Because they are fun

Ask them if they would like to shoot it sometime.  Chances are, they will like it, if not, there's probably not much else you can say.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 7:49:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn
View Quote

Unfortunately, ALOT of "religious" people are turning anti gun. My experisnce with such people is that they are NOT Christian (or even good Catholics)

Far as I can tell, the ONLY thing that will work for these people is a good rap in the forehead with a 2x4.  [}:D]

Seriuosly, the singlemost effective thing I've ever seen work on converting an ANTI (who actually has a functional brain - important distinction) is to take them shooting. Very often, they LOVE it, and are almost instantly converted.

Which is not surprising. Knowledge FREQUENTLY dispells irrational fear.

Beyond, that, you make want to disassemble the firearm in front of them so that they can see that no evil spirit emerges from the gun.  [:D]

View Quote

New thread if necessary but Garandman...you are WAY off base here on your obviously ignorant opinion of Catholicism! I would say "views" but I don't believe you've had any experience with them.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 7:54:24 AM EDT
[#27]
...boy, you guys would be a real bunch of charmers at a cocktail party, huh?
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 8:05:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

New thread if necessary but Garandman...you are WAY off base here on your obviously ignorant opinion of Catholicism! I would say "views" but I don't believe you've had any experience with them.
View Quote

If you actually want to discuss further, YOU start the new thread.

But you are WRONG - I have a fair amount of experience with Catholicism. My whole family is Catholic.

Link Posted: 6/28/2001 8:06:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 8:07:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Because I can, Because they are cool and fun to shoot, and bcause of the reaction I get from other peeps when they see them.  

By the way Catholics are Christians.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 8:10:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 8:11:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 8:12:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 8:12:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
So you get to decide who's a good Christian based on their attitude towards guns?  So all the Christians in Denmark (which is a country with very stict gun control, supported by the population)  - who have all been Christians for a 1000 years - are not REAL Christians because they support gun control?

View Quote

You misunderstand.

What I am saying is that MOST of the so-called "Christian" groups that are anti-gun DO NOT follow the guidelines / commands that Christ Himself gave as to who is a "Christian."

Since the word "Christian" has as its root, the word "Christ," I would think it is only fair that Christ Himself would get to determine who gets to use the label "Christian."

No??

Unfortunately, "Christian" today has scant little to do with being "Christ-like" and is generically applied to every non-cannibal.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 8:14:58 AM EDT
[#35]
"Assault Weapons are needed to fight today's 'specialty animals' like the flying squirrel and the electric eel"

-Lenny on "The Simpsons"
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 8:16:06 AM EDT
[#36]
1) I like them.
2) They are sexy.
3) I like owning a piece of history.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 8:16:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Katman: Which episode is that quote from?  I wonder if an audio clip of that statement exists on the web somewhere.

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 8:29:20 AM EDT
[#38]
HAHA, I love you guys, The Torah says that if a man enters your house at night, you are to get and strike him down.
The prophets and patriarchs were warriors, they had military arms. Except Father Abraham, we think he was a lawyer. But imagine going up to King David..Hey Dave, like this AR 15? Whoa how much by the dozen?
I can protect my home with any gun, or sword but the impact of an AR with a light, negates any violent thoughts from the perp!
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 8:30:05 AM EDT
[#39]
It's the episode where Homer buys a gun. Lenny says it at a local NRA meeting. It's a hysterical episode loaded (no pun intended) with memorable quotes.

"It was a scary moment, but I managed to shoot him in the back. I guess the next place he robs better have a ramp!"
-Moe
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 8:32:33 AM EDT
[#40]
"Because when I collected stamps instead everyone made fun of me and kicked sand in my face and called me a phil..philatle...phillat...well, they called me names, but they sure don't any more..."

tar agus glac iad
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 8:37:58 AM EDT
[#41]
A lot of good responses. The one I like and is very true for some of my older items is the fact its owning a piece of history.

Another suggestion is to turn the table by asking them why they own a few recreational items (ie, boat, motor home, golf) themselves.

People spend 10-20 grand on a boat that sits in their yard losing value while I use my toys and they still increase in value.

They spend 4-6 hours on the golf range away from the family while I can spend 4-6 hours at the range with the family.

Finally, ask them, "Have you ever shot one of these?" You can bet their answer will be "NO". Just tell them once they do, they will understand.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 8:38:35 AM EDT
[#42]
My response:

I use them to reeducate proletariat that possess impure thoughts towards mao.

themao [chainsawkill]

Link Posted: 6/28/2001 9:12:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Garandman,
      Will you come and baptize my daughter....Oops...wrong thread....seriously though. My wife is pretty anti-gun until I go out of town for a while, and then she wants to learn all about my weapons. They will never learn until they need one themselves. Just the sight of an AR will cause most would be bad asses to turn tell and run from your house after they break in....from experience.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 9:13:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
"Assault Weapons are needed to fight today's 'specialty animals' like the flying squirrel and the electric eel"

-Lenny on "The Simpsons"
View Quote

"Dad can you get my ball down off the roof" "sure honey" BOOM plop hiss...

Marge while eating spaghetti out of a drinking glass "homer what happened to all our dinner plates" "uhhh..."
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 10:10:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 10:15:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Garandman,
      Will you come and baptize my daughter....Oops...wrong thread.....
View Quote

That depends -

Sprinkling or immersion???

[;)]

Link Posted: 6/28/2001 10:21:55 AM EDT
[#47]
My guns are not scary. Unless you happen to be on my property, when you are not welcome, doing something you shouldn't be doing.  Then, they get real scary.......for you.[;D]
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 10:45:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Let's see A, D, E, and I.

Not to mention better than average accuracy, and reliability.

Modular construction, spare part availablilty, and accessory availability, are also strong points.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 10:54:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That depends -

Sprinkling or immersion???

[;)]

View Quote

LOL...all in fun

RLTW
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 11:19:45 AM EDT
[#50]
GUNS AND RELIGION ARE THE TOOL OF THE DEVIL.
EVIL, EVIL, EEEE-VIL!!!  LOCK THE THREAD BEFORE THE KILLING BEGINS!

[img]www.auburn.edu/~littlcb/E-vil2.jpg[/img][img=right]www.auburn.edu/~littlcb/E-vil2.jpg[/img=right][img]www.auburn.edu/~littlcb/E-vil2.jpg[/img][img=right]www.auburn.edu/~littlcb/E-vil2.jpg[/img=right][img]www.auburn.edu/~littlcb/E-vil2.jpg[/img][img=right]www.auburn.edu/~littlcb/E-vil2.jpg[/img=right]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top