Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2001 6:21:42 AM EDT
What are the best military / firearms / ordnance museums where I can see displays of military arms, field artillery, tanks etc etc etc????

I've already been to:

Smithsonian

NRA Museum

Thanx.

Link Posted: 12/31/2001 6:29:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you looked at the D-Day museum.\\ddaymusesum.org\\
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 6:34:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Found the link [url]www.ddaymuseum.org[/url]
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 6:50:41 AM EDT
[#3]
My favorite museum has yet to be found.

However, I have established my non-selfish, non-self serving criteria.  
My favorite museum will be the one that authenticates this "Rock Island Arsenal" Model 1903 (1919 National Matches) as the second known to exist and the most correct known to exist.
[:D]
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 6:52:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Fort Benning, Georgia is cool. There's an armour/artillery display on the front lawn. Inside there's many items of interest such as the first M4 and the first M16a2 Colt presented to the Army. You might be interested in some of the Garands, one was .277 caliber I believe. [;)]

Seeing the jump school towers was cool as well. Fortunately, I was with a bud who had trained there and made for a first class tour guide.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 6:55:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Chickamauga Chattanooga National Military Park.  Excellent selection of pre 1900 rifles and sidearms.  

Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio.  Need at least 2 days for this one.

Buffalo Bill Museum, just west of Denver for Old West rifles.  

Gettysburg National Military Park.

Link Posted: 12/31/2001 7:04:17 AM EDT
[#6]
The Canadian War Museum in Ottawa.

They have a great historical game on their web site designed to teach kids about WWII and the choices that could get you killed.

They just built a brand new building to house their exhibits.

I have not seen the new one but hope to see it in the spring.
Last time I was there it was the old one..mind you they had a ME-263!!!

[url]http://www.warmuseum.ca/cwm/cwme.asp[/url]
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 7:14:12 AM EDT
[#7]
I'll second the Infantry Museum at Benning (Anyone remember "Calculator"?), and Add the Armour Museum at Ft. Knox and the Army Aviation Museum at Ft. Rucker.  They have some German Tanks from WWII that will show you what our tankers and infantry were up against.  Their guns were so superior to our Sherman tanks 75mm gun, it's amazing we we're able to stop them.  

If you're interested in aviation, both civil and military, that you didn't see at the Smithsonian, you should arrange a tour of the Garber restoration facility in MD.  This where they refurb the AC for display.  There you'll see historic aircraft in various conditions ranging from basket case to ready for display.  It is a veritable "grandpa's attic of aviation history.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 7:27:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 7:32:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 7:33:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Parris Island has a great museum.  I spent a better part of a day walking around.  They had all sorts of weapons/ gear on display.
And it's in your home state.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 7:36:40 AM EDT
[#11]
One of the very best is the U.S. Army Ordnance Museum at Aberdeen Proving Grounds in Md.  However, it is closed for the time being due to the war. In fact, the whole base is closed to the public.  Kinda seems a little over the top to me. I mean, it was open during WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm, and the entire cold war. They must know something that I don't know.....

Anyway, here's a link to the museum's web page:
[url]http://www.ordmusfound.org/[/url]
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 8:33:46 AM EDT
[#12]
The 45th Infantry Division Museum in Oklahoma City is one of the best kept secrets and it's free. They have some excellent displays going back to the Revolutionary War and one of the only Whitworth sharpshooter's rifles known to exist (as used by Confederate forces in the Civil War). They also have quite a collection of Adolf Hitler's personal items that were captured by the 45th at his Munich residence durring WWII.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 8:35:43 AM EDT
[#13]
I've always wanted to go to the Imperial War Museum in England.  Looks impressive.

[url]http://www.iwm.org.uk/[/url]

Have to second the Air Force Museum in Fairborn too.  It's about 15 miles from me.  They have a "behind the scenes" tour on Fridays at noon during the summer thats worth going on.  It takes you out to their storage areas and restoration hanger.  Everything from B-17 nose art (still on the original aluminum skin} to crates of tools from the Wright Aeroplane Co.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 8:57:29 AM EDT
[#14]
The Patton Museum in Ft. Knox is pretty cool. There's every single tank that the US has made and/or used on display. There's an indoor museum as well with Patton's personal effects on display.

On a smaller scale, there's a cool museum at Parris Island, South Carolina. It's filled with (surprise) Marine Corp regalia as well as every rifle the Marine Corps has ever used. Plus Parris Island as a whole is a museum as very very little has changed since WW2. Still serving the same SOS I believe. >gg<
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 9:12:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
One of the very best is the U.S. Army Ordnance Museum at Aberdeen Proving Grounds in Md.  However, it is closed for the time being due to the war. In fact, the whole base is closed to the public.  Kinda seems a little over the top to me. I mean, it was open during WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm, and the entire cold war. They must know something that I don't know.....

Anyway, here's a link to the museum's web page:
[url]http://www.ordmusfound.org/[/url]
View Quote

I visited Aberdeen about 9 years ago and look forward to returning someday. I took my then girlfriend (now wife) with me and even she enjoyed it.
What's great about that place is that all the tanks and armor are outside and you can climb on top of, under, and sometimes in the displays.
Hoping to take my son there one of these days.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 9:44:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Here's another vote for the Chickamauga Chattanooga National Military Park, they have a most excellent gun collection and the battle park is superb. If you are a gun collector or a historian, check it out, you will not be disappointed...

7th
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 10:36:39 AM EDT
[#17]
The National Museum of Naval Aviation aboard NAS Pensacola is not to be missed if you are into aircraft. Go on a Tuesday during airshow season and watch the best pilots on this Earth, bar none, practice...The Blue Angels are based about a hundred yards up the road from the museum, and they practice most Tuesdays at about 800am. If you go to P'cola,  jaunt over to the Air Force Armament Museum in Ft. Walton Beach...More great aircraft and a really nice small arms display.
I also second Chickamauga Battlefield and the Fuller Gun Collection there... Be prepared to spend a day touring the Battlefield (by car). There were places at Chickamauga, no kidding, where the hair on my neck stood on end...it's got that kind of atmosphere.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 10:40:11 AM EDT
[#18]
The Air Force Museum at Wright Patterson AFB in Dayton, Ohio is EXCELLENT!!! They have some fantastic stuff there that I though would have actually been in the Smithsonian.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 10:40:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Ft. Hood is home to the 1st Cav museum.  Spoils of war, american aircraft, tanks, trucks, jeeps guns, artillery, etc.

Been twice and always enjoy it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 10:52:55 AM EDT
[#20]
The National Atomic Museum is an interesting place to visit. It's located at Kirtlant AFB in New Mexico. Lots of good exibits to see.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 11:02:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Here is another vote for the Infantry Museum at Ft. Benning, GA. I will include a link to their website at the end of my post, but just a quick snyopsis of some of the things you will see includes:

"Over 100,000 visitors each year trace with pride the footsteps of infantrymen from the 1607 wilderness of Virginia to the 1991 sands of the Persian Gulf, from the French Charleville flintlock musket to the atomic Davy Crockett, from victory at Yorktown to events in Vietnam."

If you are thinking about a family vacation, there is no better historical place to visit, than GA. From the battles for Atlanta, to touring the Main Post at the ITC (they used to have tours that ran through there, dont know if they do anymore or not), you can spend a week in GA sightseeing, easy.

[url]http://www.benningmwr.com/museum.cfm[/url]
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 11:15:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Does this count?

[url]http://www.leeds.gov.uk/tourinfo/attract/museums/armour.html[/url]

It's the Royal Armouries in Leeds. Definitely on the list of "must visit" places.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 11:21:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Does this count?

[url]http://www.leeds.gov.uk/tourinfo/attract/museums/armour.html[/url]

It's the Royal Armouries in Leeds. Definitely on the list of "must visit" places.
View Quote

Do they allow guns ?
[smoke]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top