Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/31/2005 11:40:30 AM EDT
Growing up I played with my dads old Zenith Transoceanic radio at night listening to stuff from all over the world. I would set my watch with the clock in Ft. Collins Colorado. Anyway, the radio died eventually and I don't know where it went.

I have some Christmas money left over and thought this would be a cool thing to have again. But I don't have a clue. I know some of you guys have one and would like to hear your reviews.

I looked on ebay for any old Zeniths like the one we had and there is a couple but I don't know if I want to spend that kind of money on an old radio.

Thanks,

Patsue
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:14:01 PM EDT
Tag

I need to get me another one
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:16:58 PM EDT
How much do you want to spend?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:19:16 PM EDT
They used to have little ones for like fifteen bucks on CountyComm.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:20:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/31/2005 1:24:35 PM EDT by pcsutton]
You can get a nice Grundig for about a hundred bucks. Bear in mind any radio is only as good as it's antenna.

Grundig Yacht Boy 400 Professional Edition
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:40:35 PM EDT
I have YB 400 and I also have a Sanagen sold by radio shack. And I have the Several old radios the cream being a BC-348 from a b-17 converted to 120v.
The YB 400 is very good it may not bring back the memories since it is so small compaired to the old zenith. The sound from the newer radios is not as "warm" sounding but they pick up much better. I have a 100ft long wire so I can pick up a lot. Enjoy it is a nice diverson from the BS found in the US media.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:43:03 PM EDT
Damn I forgot to put in the Eton radios are very good. Eton brought out grundig when they went belly up. they have new designs and new thinking. You get a hell of a good radio for the price.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:47:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By snarfbatt:
I have YB 400 and I also have a Sanagen sold by radio shack. And I have the Several old radios the cream being a BC-348 from a b-17 converted to 120v.
The YB 400 is very good it may not bring back the memories since it is so small compaired to the old zenith. The sound from the newer radios is not as "warm" sounding but they pick up much better. I have a 100ft long wire so I can pick up a lot. Enjoy it is a nice diverson from the BS found in the US media.

External speaker fixes that. Just stick a decent speaker in a shoebox sized encosure and it makes all the difference in the world.

Personally, one of my ham radios does dc to daylight in ssb, cw, am, & fm. It's hooked to a Gap Titan verticle dipole and to a 280 ft horizontal wire-loop antenna as well. I get about everything that's out there. It's a hoot....but I can talk back, too!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:52:53 PM EDT
tivoli, purchased a few over the holidays for people. Every one loved them.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:58:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By pcsutton:

Originally Posted By snarfbatt:

External speaker fixes that. Just stick a decent speaker in a shoebox sized encosure and it makes all the difference in the world.

Personally, one of my ham radios does dc to daylight in ssb, cw, am, & fm. It's hooked to a Gap Titan verticle dipole and to a 280 ft horizontal wire-loop antenna as well. I get about everything that's out there. It's a hoot....but I can talk back, too!

Way cool thanks for the Info
Top Top