Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/10/2003 12:10:45 PM EDT
What would be the best gun for grizly country to carry in a boat or with you at all times.  I need a rifle and pistol.  I was thinkng a 45-70 Marling Guide gun and a Magnum research .500 pistol.  the guides there told me a .300 or .338 seemed to work the best, but are kinda bulky.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 12:16:07 PM EDT
[#1]
44 Mag pistol and a 44 Mag Winchester or Marlin lever action. That will keep you safe and keep thing's simple.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 12:18:57 PM EDT
[#2]
If I were to be hunting for, or in grizzly country, I would be carrying a 450 Marlin lever gun with a 0-4x scope......

I would have a 44mag sidearm.

If the guides have suggested a 300WinMag or 338WinMag, then that would also get serious consideration.

Maybe I'd just get a 300RSUM AR10 upper.....
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 12:21:59 PM EDT
[#3]
They said iron sights are a must.  this gun isn't for hunting, just for defence purposes.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 12:27:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
They said iron sights are a must.  this gun isn't for hunting, just for defence purposes.
View Quote

450 Marlin comes with irons standard....would stick by my recommendation.

[url=http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/bigBore_levrAction/1895M.htm]450 Marlin[/url]

[img]http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/images/firearmImages/1895m_Th.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 12:28:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Ya that seems like a gerat choice to me.  
What about a double gun?
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 12:28:51 PM EDT
[#6]
12 gauge with slugs. Go tactical on the ole griz with iron sights and short barrel.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 12:29:52 PM EDT
[#7]
When I was in Alaska about five years ago, the guides were carrying (and therefore recommending) 12ga shotguns for defense. At the same time, a woman up there stopped a charging brown with a .375 H&H, which I consider to be the best hunting round for them.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 12:31:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Even though a guy a year or so ago dropped a large sow griz with a 9MM, handguns really aren't powerful enough-including the vaunted 44mag-to reliably stop a grizzly. Added to the fact that if the griz is running AT you, you'll need to hit an area about the size of a grapefruit, that's bobbing up and down, and moving towards you at, oh, 30-35MPH, to even stand a chance of stopping it. Can you shoot a handcannon that well, under pressure? I don't think I can. Personally, I'd stick to the .45-70, 300WinMag or .338
I'd LOVE to go grizzly hunting, and I'd likely wear a sidearm, just to feel good. But if the SHTF, I'll be emptying the rifle and trying to reload before I go for the pistol.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 12:32:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Ya that seems like a gerat choice to me.  
What about a double gun?
View Quote

Uh, if you have double rifle money lying around then you go for a Merkel in 375 H&H......[:D]

[url=http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/community/gun/gun-details.jhtml?contentId=000000_merk375_kc&hierarchyId=11893]Merkel 375 H&H -- only $8200[/url]

[shock]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 12:34:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Even though a guy a year or so ago dropped a large sow griz with a 9MM, handguns really aren't powerful enough-including the vaunted 44mag-to reliably stop a grizzly. Added to the fact that if the griz is running AT you, you'll need to hit an area about the size of a grapefruit, that's bobbing up and down, and moving towards you at, oh, 30-35MPH, to even stand a chance of stopping it. Can you shoot a handcannon that well, under pressure? I don't think I can. Personally, I'd stick to the .45-70, 300WinMag or .338
I'd LOVE to go grizzly hunting, and I'd likely wear a sidearm, just to feel good. But if the SHTF, I'll be emptying the rifle and trying to reload before I go for the pistol.
View Quote

The 44mag is for me....I don't want to feel my leg getting gnawed off......a 44mag to the temple should just about check me out......[XX(]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 12:34:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Winchester makes a Big Bore Lever action in a 375, but I bet it's the 375 Win instead of the 375H&H
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 12:35:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Merkel 500NE Double @ $9500 on Cabela's...

[img]http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/community/gun_inventory/images/sidney/fine_rifle/229514_merk500_02.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 12:42:34 PM EDT
[#13]
.45-70 or .450 marlin, .44mag or larger pistol.

If you are carrying it for protection, just make sure you follow the rest of the precautions for bear country. And you will probably never have to use it.

Enjoy the wilds.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 12:43:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 12:44:06 PM EDT
[#15]
I din't relize that they were that high priced!
I'll stick to the lever action.  They said the gun will get trased out being from being carried every day.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 12:46:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
In most parts of this country the best defense for Grizzly kill is a lawyer.

Cause you're gonna need one.
View Quote

Going to Alaska Jun 1 through spring bear season.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 12:49:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Anything .375 or above, and carry a big-assed revolver. I'd also like it if someone was carrying a shotgun full of 000 Buck.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 1:04:06 PM EDT
[#18]
10mm Glock with hi cap mag
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 1:08:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Why do you want to kill Grizzly Adams?  He might have been a bit scruffy, but he wasn't a hippy.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 1:14:34 PM EDT
[#20]
45-70 guide gun
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 1:18:39 PM EDT
[#21]
[img]www.gunwares.com/images/public/458-ace.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 1:32:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
[url]www.gunwares.com/images/public/458-ace.jpg[/url]
View Quote

458 SOCOM.....fine choice...10rds of 45-70 power....
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 3:11:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Ordered the Marlin.
Now I just need a pistol.  
I want a massive caliber, but light weight and compact.  I hope I'll never have to shoot it.  
Do they make a smaller 454 compact?
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 3:11:25 PM EDT
[#24]
.458 SOCOM upper is the next thing I am going to purchase.
Have a Taurus .454 for sidearm.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 3:16:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Forgot about Freedom Arms.  they make shor magnums. I think I'll ge teh 6" 454
[URL]http://www.freedomarms.com/[/UR]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 3:26:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

And a list of pallbearers. Get real...

These are BIG predators people and your hi cap magazines aren't worth a shit. This is the food chain and the top perch is contested- bring the wrong tool and you're nothing more than defecated tissue. Tactical reloads and fancy nite sites don't matter to a large carnivore that will spend the next three days consuming you at leisure. They will also shit in your(now) empty chest cavity to mark your remains as "theirs". How sweet. Talk about becoming someone's bitch...

In a rifle, 375 H&H magnum or a 45-70 minimum. If you require a handgun as a last resort you are probably fucked anyway but go with a 44 magnum or larger. 2 1/2" barrel is fine- forget the long barreled cannons. Leave the "It Happened to Me" stories to Outdoor Life. If you are truly charged you have but seconds to live. Stick with what is proven and leave the mall ninja bullshit to the overweight security wannabes.

I have two Grizzly hides. The first was a docile sow, the second was a highly pissed off boar on the Kamchatka penninsula at a full run in my direction. Your shit will turn to water and the Glock will serve as a funeral marker.

If this is a serious question than stick to answers from the folks that have actually killed these big bastards and leave the "northwoods musings" from a bunch of adled deer huunters behind.

Buy big...

Link Posted: 12/10/2003 3:30:22 PM EDT
[#27]
I'd go for a Remington 870 Marine Magnum with ghost rings and a knoxx folding stock with slugs.
Stainless gun won't corrode as fast under the conditions.
Extended mag (though you probaly won't have time to use the rounds)
Ghost rings are fast and accurate
The stock makes the gun compact and cuts recoil by 54%.
Slugs are said by many to be the best bear stopper.

Pistol?  I guess a .44 Magnum revolver, stainless steel.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 5:20:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

These are BIG predators people and your hi cap magazines aren't worth a shit. This is the food chain and the top perch is contested- bring the wrong tool and you're nothing more than defecated tissue. Tactical reloads and fancy nite sites don't matter to a large carnivore that will spend the next three days consuming you at leisure. They will also shit in your(now) empty chest cavity to mark your remains as "theirs". How sweet. Talk about becoming someone's bitch...

In a rifle, 375 H&H magnum or a 45-70 minimum. If you require a handgun as a last resort you are probably fucked anyway but go with a 44 magnum or larger. 2 1/2" barrel is fine- forget the long barreled cannons. Leave the "It Happened to Me" stories to Outdoor Life. If you are truly charged you have but seconds to live. Stick with what is proven and leave the mall ninja bullshit to the overweight security wannabes.

I have two Grizzly hides. The first was a docile sow, the second was a highly pissed off boar on the Kamchatka penninsula at a full run in my direction. Your shit will turn to water and the Glock will serve as a funeral marker.

If this is a serious question than stick to answers from the folks that have actually killed these big bastards and leave the "northwoods musings" from a bunch of adled deer huunters behind.

Buy big...

View Quote

Funny, I've never killed a grizzly but my assessment agreed with all your assessments.  Hmph...

[:D]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 5:30:47 PM EDT
[#29]
[shamless plug] As far as a pistol in grizzly country goes, this one would be an excellant pack gun. It's extreemly light but still packs a wollop. S&W 329 skandium .44 mag. (in the EE)
[/shamless plug]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=20249[/img]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 5:42:15 PM EDT
[#30]
I didn't know they made a 44 amg in AirLite.  Sounds like a good choice.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 6:10:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[url]www.gunwares.com/images/public/458-ace.jpg[/url]
View Quote

458 SOCOM.....fine choice...10rds of 45-70 power....
View Quote

Yep.  That'd be the shiznit.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 6:12:37 PM EDT
[#32]
What part of the state will you be in? What time of the year? What firearms do you normally shoot? How many in your party? I have the impression you are going to fly in and be dropped off for an unguided  fishing trip.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 6:20:30 PM EDT
[#33]
The 45-70  450 or 12ga with slugs are all good choices for protection a 24" barreled .300 or bigger bolt action if your hunting them is good!!!
Now on to pistols a friend of mine that lives on the Kenai river once said to someone inquiring as to whether a .44 mag was a sutible bear protection round
"IT MIGHT WORK BUT MAKE SURE YOU FILE OFF THE FRONT SIGHTS.
IT HURTS ALOT LESS WHEN THE BEAR STUFFS IT UP YOUR ASS"  [ROFL2]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 6:21:27 PM EDT
[#34]
I will be scouting grizzles on several remote fly in rivers from Jun 1 til the end of spring bear season for an outfitter company.  I will spend almost 3 weeks by myself, but will have shelter and generators.  One river is the Holinta right in the heart of Alaska.  Sounds like a dream come true for me.  Graduate college then hop on a bush plane and see AK
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 6:26:42 PM EDT
[#35]
A Ruger 10/22 with folding pistol grip stock and a 50 round sanford drum mag.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 6:32:02 PM EDT
[#36]
7.62 Minigun.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 6:38:24 PM EDT
[#37]
... [img]http://members.cox.net/stevenaz1/50mag.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 6:40:08 PM EDT
[#38]
For protection, I'd go with a Marlin Guide Gun in .45-70 or .450 Marlin.  I'd also suggest putting an Ashley AO ghost ring on the receiver and a high visibility/tritium(sp) front sight on it as well.

And then I would practice, practice, practice...and practice some more.

If I were HUNTING for Griz, I'd use my No.1 in .416 Rigby.  But I'm sick in the head that way...
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 6:42:34 PM EDT
[#39]
OUbeta listen to Motorcity and go to Canadiangunnutz.com!   Striker and stormbringer are mods there and there is much about big game guns there!

Most guides that carried a .44 rem mag shot moose cows point blank six shots and had to run and climb trees untill they wandered off and died!  

Bears and Cow moose aren't the same,and most of the guides shit canned the .44 rem mag for 12 guage shot guns!

Check out gunnutz before venturing off into bad mans land!

Bob [:D]

Link Posted: 12/10/2003 6:47:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
A Ruger 10/22 with folding pistol grip stock and a 50 round sanford drum mag.
View Quote

Hell I already have that, but just with 5 30 rounders.
THanks fo rhte heads up on GUNNUTS, I'll head over there.  I ordered the Marlin, but I'm sure I will take about 3-4 guns there incase one falls out of raft or something.  I'm limited to 40lbs carry on the bush planes, but can have gear flown in at $1 a lb.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 6:52:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Ask about lube for the temps you will be in......you do not want your action "locking" up at a critical moment.

The guides should know, if not -- ask the boys at Wild West Guns.....
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 6:52:50 PM EDT
[#42]
go w/ the 12 ga.  

the 45-70, 450, .444, etc are great for killing them.  the 12 ga gives you more options.  You can carry flares, cracker shells (bird bombs), bean bags.  

If you are spending a lot of time out there you might have to haze a bear that doesn't especially need killing.  

Just more options.

Link Posted: 12/10/2003 7:02:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Ask about lube for the temps you will be in......you do not want your action "locking" up at a critical moment.

The guides should know, if not -- ask the boys at Wild West Guns.....
View Quote

I thought of that also.  I ordered some FirePower FP-10.  It says it's good to -65F
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 7:38:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Buy big...

View Quote
I think he does have the right idea with a hi-cap tactical pistol.You dont have the pistol to hunt, you have it to be on you when your rifle will most likely be laying somewhere else while you are scrubbing out the frying pan in the creek or taking a dump.If you think any pistol is a good bear stopper because of energy then you are soon to be re-incarnated as bear scat!!! A.44mag with 6 shots that are hard to dump on target with any speed at all gives you less chance to hit a vital or disrupt any CNS function than a hi-cap with 10 to 15 deep penetrating fmj's that you can dump very fast and accurately in the face area. Also they are easier to reload and operate 1 handed if you should be wounded and still have a chance to get off some shots while it is your buddy's turn to get mauled. Night sights are a good idea also as bears have been known to come tent hustlin' at night lookin' for snacks.As for a rifle I say most of what is mentioned here is sound bear stuff. I personally like the new SAKO 75 in 9.3x66mm sako caliber. All the power of the .375H&H in a shorter bolt throw and no belted case so you get 5 rounds instead of 4.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 7:38:51 PM EDT
[#45]
I have heard in a thread here that the most effective defence against grizzlies IS bear spray. That info comes from the people in Alaska.YMMV
If you bring a handgun make sure you file off the front sight.....so it wont hurt as much when the bear shoves it up your ass.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 7:46:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
[shamless plug] As far as a pistol in grizzly country goes, this one would be an excellant pack gun. It's extreemly light but still packs a wollop. S&W 329 skandium .44 mag. (in the EE)
[/shamless plug]
[url]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=20249[/url]
View Quote

I think I would prefer the the all steel version of that .44 mag.  The aluminum would be easier for the bear to bite though if you had to feed it to him.[:D]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 7:50:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I have heard in a thread here that the most effective defence against grizzlies IS bear spray. That info comes from the people in Alaska.YMMV
If you bring a handgun make sure you file off the front sight.....so it wont hurt as much when the bear shoves it up your ass.
View Quote

By Josef Hugenutz
[b][size=4]Anchorage Daily News[/size=4][/b]

(Published: December 10, 2003)

[i]Today the Alaska State Department of Fish and Game is advising hikers, hunters, fishermen, and golfers to take extra precautions and be on the alert for bears while in the Chugach State Park , Denali State Park, and Birch Lake State Recreation Site.

They advise people to wear noise-producing devices, such as little bells, on their clothing to alert but not startle the bears unexpectedly.

They also advise you to carry pepper spray, in case of an encounter with a bear. It is also a good idea to watch for signs of bear activity.

People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear droppings:

Black bear droppings are smaller and contain berries and possibly squirrel fur.
Grizzly bear droppings have bells in them and smell like pepper spray. [/i]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 7:53:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Penetration is the most important thing. Short of a big bore African game rifle in .400 or bigger, I would put Randy Garrrets 530 grain Hammerheads in a Marlin Guide Gun.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 8:02:22 PM EDT
[#49]
I recommend Remington Marine Magnum [url]http://www.remington.com/firearms/shotguns/870mrmag.htm[/url] with Brenneke slugs. Either 3" 1 3/8 ozs. or 2 3/4" 1 1/4 ozs. You can find them here [url]http://www.natchezss.com[/url]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 8:08:57 PM EDT
[#50]
My uncle has hunted, fished camped and built cabins in the deep of interior Alaska for 25 years. He will not go anywhere without his .44. He hunts with a 7MM mag theses, an once he hunted griz with a 10 gauge.

H likes the fast .300 mags too.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top