Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/29/2005 11:54:32 AM EDT
I have owned custom autos and other high ends, including Striders, and Strider-Buck.
My requirements are simple. The knife has to be:
1 - Sharp
2 - Durable
3 - Easily opened one handed, or pocket deploy
4 - Ambi-carry

I carry a folder as a defensive countermeasure to a gun grab. It therefore rides in my non-gun (left) pocket. My gun hand would secure/ retain the gun, while the left accesses the knife in order to cut/stab the attackers arm/hands/torso to get them to back off. This allows the officer to create distance, draw and either take the subject into custody, or to fire if necessary.

Like I said, I've carried all kinds, but the two I found that worked the best was a cheap S&W Border Guard (which fell out of my suitcase between DC and Vegas) and the one I carry now is a CRKT M-16 with dual flippers. It satisfys all those requirements.
the Striders I owned couldn't be opened one-handed unless you were a body builder, and were thick as hell to be carried in a regular uniform pants pocket.
All the Autos I owned (Benchmades, Cobra, Al Mar, Dalton, Microtech) were set up for righties only.
Anyone know of an auto that meets my standards?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:00:57 PM EDT
A Benchmade 806D2 or Spyderco Military? I know the 806D2's clip can be moved from one side to the other and it can be flipped or easily opened with one hand (thumb hole).

I have seen Spydercos modified by opening the front of the thumb hole up. That permits you to hook the top of what's left of the thumb hole on the back of your pocket to open it as you draw it.

There's got to be an auto with a reversible clip out there, but since I live in the People's Republic of WA, I can't have anything fun (No select fire, no SBRs, no cans, no automatic knives ), so I haven't paid much attention to them.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:02:30 PM EDT
Hell I'de say just about any reputable manufcatorer for folding knives. I have a cheap little folding knife I use, don't know who made it but I paid $20 for it and i've had it for about 3 years now. Used it on everything from tackle to as a multitool.

usually you can adjust how easily it is opened.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:13:09 PM EDT
The military is a good knife. So far I have not found a knife that is all around useable as a Benchmade 710. My main bitch is that Gave away my original one that was made with ats34, and the 154cm one I got in 2002 has never been able to keep the same edge as the original.

IF you get a Spyderco Military, you will love it, mostly for the steel. 440v and the rest of the v type steels are something to be appreciated. I had a Starmate made with the stuff and used it daily in a warehouse cutting cardboard and it rarely needed sharpening.

Still, I have tried a dozen different knives and still come back to the 710 Axis. Swappable clip, fast open, etc.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:56:45 PM EDT
I have one of the benchmade axis autos (cant remember the model number)
Best knife I have ever had

Sharp, strong, opens in an instant
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:00:33 PM EDT
I've been carrying an Emerson CQC-7 with half of the blade being serrated for a number of years now.

I understand it's a good fighting knife; I haven't had to find out, thank God. But I like the idea that I only have to worry about only sharpening one side of the blade.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:11:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By rifle-cop624:
All the Autos I owned (Benchmades, Cobra, Al Mar, Dalton, Microtech) were set up for righties only.

Benchmade's AXIS Autos use their (ambidexterous) AXIS release mechanism to release the blade. They should be just as good for a leftie as a rightie - just move the clip to the other side...
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:33:18 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:22:25 AM EDT
Here are the AXIS Automatics.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:50:47 AM EDT
The axis autos have that slide release and reversable clip. Guess I know what to buy, now. Thanks fellas!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:13:59 AM EDT
Truthfully, you can get the non-auto AXIS knives into action faster than an auto. Takes a little practice, but having to fumble around to hit a little button is not as quick as a flick of the wrist or a flick of the thumbstud. I tried to carry autos and I am quicker with regular knives.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:51:27 PM EDT
I've owned them all... trust me I can waste money on gear like no other... I currently work undercover narcotics but I want the knife for the same reason (gun grab) but also as a backup weapon when working... ( bad guys don't carry two guns or extra bags ) so I went with...

Emerson Karambit w/ the CQC-7 blade or the Commander blade.... ( i have both ) I npersonally don't care for typical hook karambit....

I wear it in my left pocket and utilizing the wave feature I can deploy this knife faster than any auto..

Simply reach down and insert your finger in the ring, pull the knife out of your pocket and it locks open automatically in a point down blade forward grip... The rest is up to how dirty you wanna get..

It also works great from on your back... if you end up there.. some of us have done ground fighting with the trainer version and it's a wicked knife.....
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:56:45 PM EDT
I LOVE the Benchmade Axis lock.

Here's my review of the 710 with the M2 blade. Unfortunately, Benchmade doesn't make anything automatic in M2 steel.

I can open it very easily with one hand and I've never had to use two to open or close it. Just swing it down and out. If you pull back the Axis lock, it'll open even easier with one hand.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:03:49 PM EDT
Kershaw speed safe backout

I carry one every day. Technically isnt an automatic but opens every bit as fast. Just a little push on the blade "stub" and it opens automatically the rest of the way. IMO easier and safer than most "automatics". Very sharp and very durable, and only about 50 bucks online.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:09:31 PM EDT
A Waved Emerson like the Mini-Commander set up for left hand draw. They are faster than an auto as they deploy on the draw from the pocket, although if you practice regularly, you'll want to buy practice pants.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:48:27 PM EDT
I'd have to agree with the Emerson knives with the wave. I've never seen a knife faster to deploy and the quality is great. I've carried a CQC-7 (tanto blade, partially serrated, with the wave) for years.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:55:23 PM EDT
I carry the Smith n Wesson Extreme Ops...

Not the most expensive, but sharp, easy use and ambi....

about $40 @galls.... so if you break (which I never have) its no big deal....

oh yea, I've had mine for 3 years and never had a problem (finish still looks good, never been sharpened or oiled, and I use it almost on a daily basis)
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:25:45 AM EDT

Originally Posted By cjklekar:
I've been carrying an Emerson CQC-7 with half of the blade being serrated for a number of years now.

I understand it's a good fighting knife; I haven't had to find out, thank God. But I like the idea that I only have to worry about only sharpening one side of the blade.

i just got back from afghanistan - i carry the same knife and it litterally saved my ass, i recently sent it to emerson to get a new blade - the tip broke off.
i will probably slways carry that knife or one like it - one of the best knives ever

Damn i should get paid with as much advertising as i am doing
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:01:16 AM EDT
I use a MOD Mark II. Not cheap but good for me. This knife may ride a little high in the pocket due to the design of the clip, but I do not carry it in my pants pocket.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:11:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BuckeyeRifleman:
Kershaw speed safe backout

I carry one every day. Technically isnt an automatic but opens every bit as fast. Just a little push on the blade "stub" and it opens automatically the rest of the way. IMO easier and safer than most "automatics". Very sharp and very durable, and only about 50 bucks online.

Yep, I have no doubt that this is the best knife you can get (in the category we're discussing) for under a hundred bucks. I carry one every day and love it. It's faster than my automatic S&W Extreme Ops auto that I have.

If I wanted to spend more, the next step up that I'd recommend would be a MicroTech Scarab DE, but that's quite a jump in the $$$ department for a small and preferential jump in quality... The "out the front" method of deployment could come in handy in some situations, as you could have a firm, fighting grip before deploying the blade, but, other than that, I'd still go with the Kershaw.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:51:38 PM EDT
The Kershaw that own is a really, really fast assisted knife, but right handed only. The Emmerson waves are sweet, too. I have never seen one set up for a lefty, though. Are they special order, or something?
I'd love to have one of those.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:04:59 AM EDT

Originally Posted By rifle-cop624:
The Kershaw that own is a really, really fast assisted knife, but right handed only. The Emmerson waves are sweet, too. I have never seen one set up for a lefty, though. Are they special order, or something?
I'd love to have one of those.

Look for their Zero Tolerance line of knives. They're a collaboration between Ken Onion, Kershaw and Strider Knives. The thumb stud is ambidextrous and the clip can be switched left to right, tip up or tip down.
Top Top