Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/25/2006 5:48:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/25/2006 5:51:56 AM EDT by pathfinder74]
I was looking at these
Philips HN060 Noise-Canceling Earbuds

but I'm a little skeptical as to the quality based on the low price.

I want something as noise cancelling as possible and an in-the-ear type ear phone. I like the idea of the ones that look like they go into the ear canal like .mil-style ear plugs.

Anyone have any good suggestions?

ETA: Just saw these as well... JABRA C100 Earbud Headset with 2.5mm Plug. Thought that would be cool but I don't know if they would fit all that well. I had a custom ear-pice like that for a radio set and it was pretty nice. Really cut out a lot of outide noise.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:59:47 AM EDT
I would go over to Ilounge and read thier reviews. They seem to really like a couple of Sony styles. I just bought the better apple ones and really like them but the Sony set got better reviews.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:12:01 AM EDT
The sony EX51,71, and 81 are quite good as far as sound quality. I had the 71 but the length of the cord was annoying and switched to the 51
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:16:50 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:18:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By pathfinder74:
What about Shure E2c Sound Isolating Earphones

what he said, or the shure e3c's
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:49:51 AM EDT
I've got Shure E4s and they sound great. However, if you're looking to spend less money I'd go Shure E2 or Sony EX-71.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:01:03 AM EDT
Westone ES-1 Custom Molded In-Ear Monitors. I use these to shoot in ,(with or without music playing) that's how much noise they block. They are so quiet inside I cannot hear my cell ring if it is right in front of me.

Westone ES1
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:03:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/25/2006 7:11:19 AM EDT by Andreuha]
I've got Etymotic ER6i's now, they're great.
Bought standard ER6's one morning on way to school, with pathetic iPod EQ, they sound like shit (fantastic on my laptop or old Muvo though), returned them next morning and got E3's. Sound was okay, tried out a freinds E2C's, and the difference in sound quality was minimal despite the leap in price (from E2's). Was changing after my workout in the evening, unclipped buds and they fell on floor, left-side driver died, NICE. Returned them and got the ER6i's, am happy with them. Tripple-flanged tips are a plus - 36db noise cancellation (means they're usable at the range; listen to some classical while blasting away , in my case, it means listening to music at low levels on the subway because all the outside noise is blocked - which is great!!!).
My take on shure-vs-etymotic is that it's up to your sound preference. It really pays to just try them out.

Recently I had some time to try out a freind's Ultimate Ear's super-fi's... aside from being twice the price of my ety's ($200), they sound absolutely fantastic (dual drivers = lots of very clean bass, unlike weaker (but as clear) bass of the single-driven units, and miles ahead of the muddy and pathetic over-driven bass of cheap buds [like Koss Plugs]). Swappable wiring is also a very neat feature. Will definitely be picking up a set of these in the future.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:42:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Ziess:
Westone ES-1 Custom Molded In-Ear Monitors. I use these to shoot in ,(with or without music playing) that's how much noise they block. They are so quiet inside I cannot hear my cell ring if it is right in front of me.

Westone ES1

Which ones do you have? es1, 2, 3, or 49?
That's pretty cool.

Can't find a "dispenser" near me though.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:44:35 AM EDT
I was very skeptical when I bought my Sony earbuds. I have NEVER heard a Sony branded speaker on anything that didn't sound like absolute crap to me.

Still, it was all they had at the store at the timie that was not obviously really cheap in quality.

I have been pleasantly surprised - good bang for the buck.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:48:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Ziess:

Westone ES1

How's the sound quality? This looks like my kind of thing - and I do have a local "dispenser."
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:05:50 PM EDT
I just bought a iPod Nano and a pair of the Shure E2c buds. I tried the Sony EX 51 and 71 models and while they sounded okay, they didn't block out as much noise as I like and I had to have my volume turned up significantly over even the crappy stock buds even in quiet environments.

I had one hell of a time forking out $100 for a pair of earbuds but, as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for and, to me, the quality in fit and sound is very evident. I am VERY happy with the Shure E2c buds.

My 2 cents. Good luck...

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:45:15 PM EDT
The sound quality on the Westone ES-1 is awesome, second to none IMHO. If you are a real audiophile, check out their ES-2 but be warned as they are reall expensive.

Any audiologist should be able to hook you up with them. Range in Price from $310-$1000
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:29:27 PM EDT
I just bought some Sony Fonotopia 71s and they are an excellent step up in audio quality and bass over the crappy ipod earbuds. I have the volume moderate right now and i cant even hear my keys as I type. A good buy I would say.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:54:42 PM EDT
My humble two cents worth:

If you are willin' and able to pay around $ 200.00 bucks then go with Ultimate Ears Superfi. 5 Pros.
You will never reget your decision. They are simply and absolutely the best, in the ear headphones available. I love 'em and I'm positive that once you hear the sound that comes out of these baby's, you will too.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:56:14 PM EDT
Shure makes the best..... Expensive as all get out, but worth it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:08:25 PM EDT
Yeah, I bought a pair of those Phillips ones. They were on sale at Target for $34 if I remember correctly. The noise cancelling is a joke. But the worst part is the COMPLETE lack of bass.

I had a pair of the Shure's once. Those were some damn fine headphones. Too bad I busted them by accident
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:18:57 PM EDT
Funny you should ask. I just ran out to Best Buy tonight and bought the Apple in-ear earbuds.

They suck.

They won't stay in my ear. They don't fit my ear canal (S, M, or L gaskets). The sound is, therefore, tinny and weak on bass.

Other seem to be having the same problems according to a review at iLounge.com, who, incidentally, review earphones for the iPod.

Anyway, I have no idea what BB's return policy is, but I'm going tomorrow
Top Top