Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/3/2003 6:21:53 AM EDT
I am residing my barn this weekend.  It's going to need a nice new coat of paint.  Should I go traditional or be different?  Teh shutters on my home are a slate blue and the barns pretty close by.  There's always the traditional red.  I'd been feeling a little different and was thinking of trying a burnt orange color ( U of Texas orange).  Really just can't decide...
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:25:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Paint fake open doors on it, so people will walk/drive into the sides, ah la Roadrunner cartoons.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:29:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Red.  It it even a question?
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:29:45 AM EDT
[#3]
red was the traditional color for barns because red paint was the cheapest paint there was.  The pigments were very common, so...

By contrast, blue paint was expensive as the pigments were not common at all.  So often, you would find kitchen's and other utility spaces painted red, while the master bedroom or parlor would be painted blue to show off for guests.

Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:33:03 AM EDT
[#4]
GREEN w/ white trim
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:33:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Red or weathered gray.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:33:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ditto, barns are the rusty red color.

If not go wild like flourescent blue! [;D]
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:33:47 AM EDT
[#7]
mail pouch advertisement
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:35:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

'Nuff said.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:38:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
red was the traditional color for barns because red paint was the cheapest paint there was.  The pigments were very common, so...

By contrast, blue paint was expensive as the pigments were not common at all.  So often, you would find kitchen's and other utility spaces painted red, while the master bedroom or parlor would be painted blue to show off for guests.

View Quote

Actually the rust colored red pigment in barn paint in days of old was so cheap, was because it was iron-oxide, or more commonly known as rust.   It was the cheapest pigment available, and probably still is today.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 7:02:39 AM EDT
[#10]
[red]RED![/red] Any questions?

Note: If you're really into John Deere tractors paint it green with yellow trim.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 7:03:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 7:05:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Paint it flourescent black...
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 7:18:26 AM EDT
[#13]
if you want something diferent how about a forrest green?
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 7:26:30 AM EDT
[#14]
orange and blue.

SG
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 7:26:59 AM EDT
[#15]
my barn is tan, chocolate brown sliding doors/gutters/downspouts/fascia and has medium brown shingles....AND IT'S WAY TOO FREAKIN' HOT IN THE SUMMER!!!!!

i vote for white or a very light grey with a white roof.

i am so concerned about heat buildup i cool my hay for a week begore i risk stuffing it in the mow.

btw, i can thank my wife for choosing those dark colors. yeah, it looks good...but damn is it ever hot in there when the summer sun shines.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 9:30:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Actually the rust colored red pigment in barn paint in days of old was so cheap, was because it was iron-oxide, or more commonly known as rust.   It was the cheapest pigment available, and probably still is today.  
View Quote

Actually rust was used because it did not fade, which made it more cost effective in the long run. Because a barn sits in the elements 24/7 it needs tough paint. What is commonly available, inexpensive, and will never fade? Rust! They could paint the kitchens blue because they were protected from the sun.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 9:44:24 AM EDT
[#17]
TExas flag on the tin roof
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 9:45:17 AM EDT
[#18]
MARPAT
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 9:52:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Yellow. Any wood sap that oozes through will be the same color.

I vote for Yellow with Gray trim.
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=14334[/img]
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 10:15:57 AM EDT
[#20]
[url]http://www.vandykes.com/product/02004445/[/url]

Red Milk Paint

I think even earlier than this barn paint had linseed oil and animal blood if you're thinking authentic.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 10:25:59 AM EDT
[#21]
damn I thought I'd be original and say marpat.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 10:54:47 AM EDT
[#22]
My wifes uncle saved his used motor oil till he had about 10 gallons. Then he got about 10 bottles of red chalkline dust from a job he was on. He mixed this all together and with a garden pumpup sprayer he painted his barn. That was about 12 years ago. It still looks good. The motor oil is a good treatmant to keep bugs and moisture out. Total cost? Well since he stole the chalkline dust, already had the sprayer, and the oil was waste, it cost about......nothing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top