Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 11/21/2003 12:31:01 PM EDT
And by cold weather, I mean winter in Wisconsin (0-10 degress F).

Would nomex aviator gloves be comfortable in this temparature range?

I'd also like something that could fill the 32-50 degree F range (maybe that's where the aviator gloves would work best).

What do you use?

I'm looking for something fairly warm that still lets me load mags, etc. with ease.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:25:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/21/2003 6:29:44 PM EDT by Fenian]
I bought a really cool pair of gloves by a company called Seirus. The sorta look like diving gloves, but made out of something that's not neoprene based...it's probably lycra, but with some other stuff in there as well. They're black, with a dark green reinforced section that goes up the palm and down the thumb and index finger.

They work great in the 20 to 40 degree range, but might be a little light for what you describe.

EDIT: I just googled; the first 10 hits or so all linked back to someplace called Essential Apparel...but all the models but one aren't made anymore, it looks like. sorry....

They are very form fitting, and it's very easy to change mags, charge the weapon, shoot, etc.

I got 'em a at a local outdoor place here in Norhtern VA; I've never seen 'em anywhere else.

Do a google search and see what you come up with.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:28:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/21/2003 6:29:06 PM EDT by MaverickMkii]
U.S military surplus stuff? Worked good for me over 15 inches of snow.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 7:42:26 PM EDT
Tagged because my dog just ate my last pair of lightweight gloves.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 8:20:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Muad_Dib:
Tagged because my dog just ate my last pair of lightweight gloves.

I suspect that aviator-type gloves would probably work as lightweight glove. I dunno (I've never handled a pair), but I'd guess they would fill the 30-50 degree F role pretty well.

So maybe what I'm looking for is two pair of glove.

Requirements:

- durable;
- allows great finger dexterity;
- smooth palm leading through the thumb for an uninterupted shoothing grip (i.e., no seams); and
- probably one pair for 30-50 degree F wear and another for <30 degree F.

Corey
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 8:57:06 PM EDT
I have a pair of Hatch gloves and I really like them!
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 8:59:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/21/2003 9:01:10 PM EDT by DigDug]
What I usually do up in ND is have a pair of good warm gloves for actually doing the shooting and then a pair of really warm mittens to go over the top when going down to targets or standing around. I then take the mittens off and shoot.

Edit: I have HotFinger Thinsolate (sic) mittens.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 9:05:47 PM EDT
For 32-50F I use cheapo fingertip gloves I buy at Fleet Farm for $2.99. Whenever they are on sale I pick up another pair. They work great for hunting, shooting, anything.

For colder weather I have milsurp gloves which have a wool glove insert with a canvas and leather outer that has a mitten for the fingers except that the index finger is separate. I don't know how to better describe them than that but they are great.

There are probably better, more expensive gloves but these work well for me.

I Live way up north in WI and spend alot of time outdoors. By the middle of winter you'd be surprised at how little I wear outside. Your skin thickens and becomes better insulated, I find. The worst thing you can do is overdress. Sweating could kill you if you get stranded or lost and have to survive. Better to be a little cold than too warm I can tell you. Staying dry is imperative.
I NEVER go out without a knife, fire, compass. NEVER. I often bring a buttpack with spare gloves, poncho, cell phone(limited use up here, I can tell ya) and whatever extras I need for the conditions that day. I travel light though. Usually bring a firearm also. I've had close encounters with bear, wolf, bobcat. Very close encounters! Damn, I love it up here.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 9:17:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By drjarhead:
For 32-50F I use cheapo fingertip gloves I buy at Fleet Farm for $2.99. Whenever they are on sale I pick up another pair. They work great for hunting, shooting, anything.

For colder weather I have milsurp gloves which have a wool glove insert with a canvas and leather outer that has a mitten for the fingers except that the index finger is separate. I don't know how to better describe them than that but they are great.

There are probably better, more expensive gloves but these work well for me.

I Live way up north in WI and spend alot of time outdoors. By the middle of winter you'd be surprised at how little I wear outside. Your skin thickens and becomes better insulated, I find. The worst thing you can do is overdress. Sweating could kill you if you get stranded or lost and have to survive. Better to be a little cold than too warm I can tell you. Staying dry is imperative.
I NEVER go out without a knife, fire, compass. NEVER. I often bring a buttpack with spare gloves, poncho, cell phone(limited use up here, I can tell ya) and whatever extras I need for the conditions that day. I travel light though. Usually bring a firearm also. I've had close encounters with bear, wolf, bobcat. Very close encounters! Damn, I love it up here.

Skin gets thicker...GOOD ONE! It's called FAT!
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 4:49:30 AM EDT
i use these

with wool five finger liner gloves
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 4:51:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By drjarhead:For colder weather I have milsurp gloves which have a wool glove insert with a canvas and leather outer that has a mitten for the fingers except that the index finger is separate. I don't know how to better describe them than that but they are great.

talking about these?

i ordered a set of those just last week. they seem more flexible than the big lineman work gloves i've been using.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 5:50:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Red_Beard:

Originally Posted By drjarhead:For colder weather I have milsurp gloves which have a wool glove insert with a canvas and leather outer that has a mitten for the fingers except that the index finger is separate. I don't know how to better describe them than that but they are great.

talking about these?
store1.yimg.com/I/campingsurvival_1763_28492564

i ordered a set of those just last week. they seem more flexible than the big lineman work gloves i've been using.

Yup. I love 'em.
My Dad gave me a pair when I was about 10 and I just got another pair a few years back.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 5:51:15 AM EDT
I'd definitely look for something with multiple layers. That way, you can just wear the liners in the milder weather and add the Gore-Tex shell, etc. for more bitter conditions.

I have a pair of leather shell gloves with a goretex liner that I bought from clothing sales about fifteen years ago and find they work very well. I don't know what brand they were or anything, but they're black with a small "dart" at each knuckle so not to restrict your fingers range of movement.

I have also had very good luck with a pair of rag wool fingerless gloves for 40 degree conditions. I think the wife picked them up at Big Lots for about a buck. I have several pair and stuff them in a cargo pocket when I'm headed out the door. I have found they also work very well as a liner to heavier gloves.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 7:32:34 AM EDT
I used the nomex flight gloves that are custom made and stop at the wrist, used them down to -20 f during a week long AR class in Alaska. We had a warm up building 100 yards from us at all times. I wouldn't think twice about sitting on a location outside for 8-12 hours with them as long as I had good military mittens like shown above. My mittens are the same minus the trigger finger and they have a harness that allows you to cross them behind your back to keep um outta the way. The snot wipe on the back comes in handy as well lol.

I think Blackhawk Ind. and Ranger Joes sells those shorty nomex gloves if you want to check them out. As far as working the controls and mag changes and such they are like a second skin.

Hunter out...
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 8:49:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MindHunter:
I used the nomex flight gloves that are custom made and stop at the wrist, used them down to -20 f during a week long AR class in Alaska. We had a warm up building 100 yards from us at all times. I wouldn't think twice about sitting on a location outside for 8-12 hours with them as long as I had good military mittens like shown above. My mittens are the same minus the trigger finger and they have a harness that allows you to cross them behind your back to keep um outta the way. The snot wipe on the back comes in handy as well lol.

I think Blackhawk Ind. and Ranger Joes sells those shorty nomex gloves if you want to check them out. As far as working the controls and mag changes and such they are like a second skin.

Hunter out...

Thanks! Just what I wanted to know.

And I do plan on having a heavier set of gloves/mittens to wear over them during down time.

Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 8:59:06 AM EDT
No problemo.
And for the sake of the CLP bashing crowd thats what I used on my AR at those temps as well, fired around 3000 rounds and the only malfunctions I had were set up by me for certain drills.

Any CLP you don't send to SteyrAUG you can send my way.

Hunter out...
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 11:28:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MindHunter:
No problemo.
And for the sake of the CLP bashing crowd thats what I used on my AR at those temps as well, fired around 3000 rounds and the only malfunctions I had were set up by me for certain drills.

Any CLP you don't send to SteyrAUG you can send my way.

Hunter out...

CLP is all that I use. Though I use it sparingly in cold temperatures.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 1:44:32 PM EDT
I have a pair of green wool gloves that have grippies on the palm & fingers. They also have thin leather on the end of the index fingers. Use them hunting below zero ! If it gets cold, I have a fleese glove I'll put on over the non trigger hand.

Bought them at a place called Popular Outdoors in Phoenix. Tag is gone so I don't know who made them.
Top Top