Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 11/22/2012 9:26:49 AM EST
My 2 years will be up soon. I'll be a free man!

Now the question is where to go next. I currently have:

-3 smartphones wth data plans
-2 dumb phones (calls & texts, only)

Would like to get to 3 smartphones and 3 dumb phones. The 3 smartphones would need good data plans.

Currently with AT&T, grandfathered with a 25% discount on my phone, and true unlimited data. Paying just over $200/mo for the 3 smarts and 2 dumbs.

Who else should I be looking at before I re-up?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:33:18 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/22/2012 9:54:01 AM EST by eastonj]
Have you tried using Billshrink.com? You can put in your current phones, plans, prices, etc., and what you want in a new plan, and it will run comparisons with all the major vendors.

ETA: I doubt you can beat $200 for that many phones and data. Just a quick glance at Verizon shows they charge $40/mo per smart phone, and $30/mo for basic phones. 4 GB of shared data would be another $70/mo. That's a quick $280/mo right there.

AT&T is $35/mo for each smart phone, if you buy 6GB of shared data for $90/mo, plus $30/mo for basic phones. $285/mo. And since AT&T are a bunch of bastards, they also charge you $20/mo for each device if you want to enable 4G hotspot functionality.

Sprint will let you get 5 lines with unlimited data on their network, unlimited text, and 1500 shared minutes (free mobile to mobile) for $220. Their website won't let you add a 6th line.

Good luck. Maybe look at prepaid lines as well.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:27:25 AM EST
Originally Posted By eastonj:
Have you tried using Billshrink.com? You can put in your current phones, plans, prices, etc., and what you want in a new plan, and it will run comparisons with all the major vendors.

ETA: I doubt you can beat $200 for that many phones and data. Just a quick glance at Verizon shows they charge $40/mo per smart phone, and $30/mo for basic phones. 4 GB of shared data would be another $70/mo. That's a quick $280/mo right there.

AT&T is $35/mo for each smart phone, if you buy 6GB of shared data for $90/mo, plus $30/mo for basic phones. $285/mo. And since AT&T are a bunch of bastards, they also charge you $20/mo for each device if you want to enable 4G hotspot functionality.

Sprint will let you get 5 lines with unlimited data on their network, unlimited text, and 1500 shared minutes (free mobile to mobile) for $220. Their website won't let you add a 6th line.

Good luck. Maybe look at prepaid lines as well.

VZN is smoking crack, of course i dont think the others are much better. i have the old family share plan and with that it was $59 a month for the first phone and $9 for the additional dumb phone. with unlimited data and text, insurance and with my discount i pay $115 a month. that same plan would cost me $140+ a month. fark that. i will stay on the plan i have for as long as i can. pre-paid would be the way to go if i was shopping for a new phone/plan deal.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 1:26:35 PM EST
I do Straight Talk, which is pre-paid, but runs on AT&T towers. $45/mo for unlimited talk, text, and data, although they start to throttle you at 2.5G of data. With tax, it's about $49/mo, although you can buy a 3 or 6 month package for better pricing.

My kids have Virgin Mobile pre-paid. 300 minutes, unlimited talk and text for $35/mo. My wife is on contract with Sprint for her iPhone for &75/mo. I do get a 22% discount on Sprint through work.
Top Top