Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2006 5:01:21 AM EDT
Need a good one for an 02 Z06 Corvette.  Optima is good.  Any other, not so hard to find, hidden gems out there?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:02:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Interstate
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:07:48 AM EDT
[#2]
You can't find Interstate just anywhere around here.  I'm going right by AutoZone, NAPA and Advance today.  One of them has Optima but I hate that price fixing crap.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:08:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm very happy with the Optima red top.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:10:01 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

You cant do any better than an Optima.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:12:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Optima is great but except to pay for the quality.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:16:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:  Optima is good.  Any other, not so hard to find

Autozone carries optima.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:23:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Are they $189 everywhere?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:25:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Discount Auto/Advanced Auto has Red Top Optima's for $119.

You shouldn't pay more than $139 or you are getting ass-raped.

HS1
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:28:33 AM EDT
[#9]
While I haven't even owned an automobile or truck in a decade, (I ride scoots) I once drove 'em.

I always bought the top of the Die-Hards from Sears, they never lasted as long as they are warrantied for and over the course of several decades I never paid more than $7 to have my gone bad Die-Hard replaced from Sears.

So while the initial purchase price was abit on the high side, when the cost of owning the Die-Hard was spread over 2-3 decades, always seemed to me they were probably the best value out there.

Now for scoots no battery beats a Yuasa, and yep they ain't cheap, but I get 6 years or more outta them.

Mike
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:28:40 AM EDT
[#10]
I would check out Consumer's Reports at your local library, they did an extensive report on automotive batteries, you will be surprised at their findings.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:31:22 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

+2
I have two in my 99' GMC K-3500.  They've been in there over two years without a peep from them.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:32:06 AM EDT
[#12]
I run a Blue, Yellow, and red Optima.

All available at Costco.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:33:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Optima red top. This is what stay in all of my vehicles. Work trucks and even our new vehicles.
Yellow top if you need the advantage of deep cycle or quicker recovery.
I have run these for 6 years w/o one issue. I have also run Interstate and most other brands.
There are many good brands out there. The optima have never failed me and I run them long and hard. The others have.
Just my .02
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:39:25 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

The last red top I bought was around $120, IIRC.  I run them in my 4x4 trucks. Interstate is a decent battery for applications that don't get the type of shock that off-road driving gets.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:43:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Interstate, AC Delco, DieHard....

Optima are ok, but overrated.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:44:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:45:48 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes you can.

Odyssey batteries beat Optima hands down. The next step up from Optima.

www.odysseybatteries.com/

These have been the only batteries to survive the pounding, wide temp swings, and high drain that we put on batteries over here. Well worth the extra $$$ if you are serious.

There is no equal.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:50:24 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes you can.

These have been the only batteries to survive the pounding, wide temp swings, and high drain that we put on batteries over here. Well worth the extra $$$ if you are serious.

There is no equal.

There ya go.  I couldnt remember their name.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:53:25 AM EDT
[#19]
I have used a Optima now for three years and no gliches at all
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:55:30 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
whats the difference between the colors in the Optima battery lineup? I'm approaching 3 years on my Nissan Xterra, maybe time to start considering my options...

Ther are some slight variations in red tops for CCA.

Yellow is deep cycle.  I run one in my street rod and have dropped it way down jamming the tunes, and it comes back every time.

Blue is marine.  

This is a great thread.  Optima never got off their butts and made motorcycle batteries.  Oddessy looks like the right thing!!!
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:59:04 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

There is no equal.

Yikes, 840 CCA lists for $275 @ Summit Racing.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:02:35 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is no equal.

Yikes, 840 CCA lists for $275 @ Summit Racing.

8-12 year design life.  Do the math.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:05:00 AM EDT
[#23]
AC DELCO
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:16:48 AM EDT
[#24]
I still have the orinal battery in my truck. Its a '95 Ford Ranger. I imagine its a Motorcraft
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:19:46 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I still have the original battery in my truck. Its a '95 Ford Ranger. I imagine its a Motorcraft

Those OEM Motorcraft(Ford) batteries are quite good.  You can tell how good by the weight in them.  The more weight, the more lead, the more cost.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:38:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Odyssey, hands down.  It can take abuse the Optima will not handle.

I have one in my boat.  A couple of seasons ago, a bad diode in the alternator killed the battery. Zero volts.  Sat that way for months.  Hook up the charger, and 12 hours later it was fine.  I am still using thst battery. And yes, I installed a disconnect for the battery.

Modern cars have a lot of electronics, and the battery is the main filter capacitor for the system.  A good battery helps the rest of the system, and having enough reserve makes it easier for the charging system to maintain a steady voltage to all of the components.

Lem
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 10:15:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Odyssey, why didn't I think of that.  We put on in the trunk of my 427 Camaro.  I'll check it out.  Bought the last one from Battery Mart.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:58:58 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 on the Optima. I have 1 in my truck & 2 in my CJ-5.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:03:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Odyssey.

Optima is a distant second.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top