Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2015 11:37:39 AM EDT
I've ridden 399 miles so far the month of June. I do have an irritated ulnar nerve to show for it, but I got new padded gloves that seem like they'll resolve that. Here's to an even better month in July. Go outside.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:43:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I take the nerve problem is in the hands ? I just got back into riding at age 50 and the bodies not snapping right back like it used to ? We've been doing 10 miles every other night and having troubles holding a ten mph pace. Also my hands are numbing some maybe padded glove would help ?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:47:20 AM EDT
[#2]
The gloves do help. Seat and bar adjustments also, but I ride Old school bmx never seated so I can't really adjust that. I got a pair of Pearl Izumi gloves and felt a difference on hand fatigue. I'm also 50 btw.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:26:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Try to support more of your upper body with your core.

I'll get a tingly left hand if I start to lean on the bars too much, but I can make it stop by engaging my abs just a little to take most of the weight off my hands.

I also went from 100mm stem to a 90mm recently to change my position to be a bit more upright.

I'm 54 and been riding for a long time too.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:37:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The gloves do help. Seat and bar adjustments also, but I ride Old school bmx never seated so I can't really adjust that. I got a pair of Pearl Izumi gloves and felt a difference on hand fatigue. I'm also 50 btw.
View Quote

Wait, wut. You rode 399mi this month on BMX geometry, standing?   Hard core bro.  26" wheels??   Are you training for anything or just like rolling that way?  
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 3:56:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I just started again too, get gel gloves and ride as many minutes as you can where you feel it was a good workout. it takes time  at our age.
my smartphone bracket and seat bag arrive today,  the smartwatch works off the phone gps to tell you how many calories you burned.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:35:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Just bolted them on someday I need to upgrade the bike.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:39:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Wait, wut. You rode 399mi this month on BMX geometry, standing?   Hard core bro.  26" wheels??   Are you training for anything or just like rolling that way?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, holy shit garwj, hardcore is an understatement.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:27:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Yup, this bike. 84 Hutch TrickStar. But I'm jamming out on killer music and don't really think about it. I have kicked In my abs a bit and keep my elbows more bent and vary grip position. Plus I've been working my arms with dumbells and doing general limbering exercises. 420.1 the month of June as of about an hour ago.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:28:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Did 11.8 miles tonight dragging butt . Do you guys work legs every night or every other night ? The guys I ride with are younger and in much better shape. I need to catch up with them in performance .
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:59:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Buy a road bike that fits.   Spend about $3000.   Worth every cent if you ride that much.  I go about 500 miles / month.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:21:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like 20-24" wheels. I bet the kids think you're some far out old dude. You know that pilgrims crawling to Mecca on their knees aren't suffering as much as you right?
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 1:33:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Did 11.8 miles tonight dragging butt . Do you guys work legs every night or every other night ? The guys I ride with are younger and in much better shape. I need to catch up with them in performance .
View Quote

You can't go hard every time you ride. Mix it up.

short rides, intense effort. 45 - 60 minutes, 80% effort with a handful of intervals that hurt and push the heart rate way up there.
Moderate distance, high effort. 60 - 90 minutes, 60-80% effort. No hard intervals.
Long distance, moderate effort. 90-120 minutes, 50% effort. 1 energy bar at an hour so you don't bonk.
Easy/Recovery. 30-45 minutes. spinning easily, minimal effort.
Day off. Sit on your ass and enjoy a cold one. Usually should follow a hard day.

Mix it up depending on your goals and fitness levels. There are much more formal training plans if you dig into it, but they all boil down to my summary.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 1:41:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Three times per week at least.
Hard rides on Sunday and Tuesday, fairly easy on Thursday.

Time on the bike is what matters not the miles.
I chucked my speedometer about 25 years ago.
Of course I switched to mountain bikes at the same time so it is kinda moot.

As long as you are having fun and staying fit who cares.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top