Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2012 9:49:16 PM EDT
This feels like mission impossible – and it probably is.

I have a house outside Tyler, TX on 1.3 acres. Subtracting the house and a small fenced back yard around the pool and I have right at 1 acre to mow with a zero turn. I bought the house last year to be my retirement home in two years. I grew up in Tyler, but moved away in 1972 and haven’t spent much time thee since. So I don’t know my way around there anymore.

I work overseas and only get home on leave about 3 to 4 weeks a year – so other than that time, “others” will be using the mower. Probably some older kid from the church youth group my brother works with.

Time constraints on me and my brother’s total inability to find and judge the reliability of a used commercial machine means we are talking a new non-commercial machine. I found an old thread from 2009 that said good things about a Toro ZX5400 which at that time was <$5k. Net searching from 8000 miles away, it looks like this model may no longer be made. I phoned Miller Power Saw in Tyler (ain’t VOIP phones great) and the guy I talked to recommended a “23hp Toro Timecutter”. He had a “standard” one for $2,999 and one with what he described as having a heavier duty deck for $3999. From looking on line, I think he was talking about an SS5060 and an MX5060.

I’ve never had a riding mower of any kind, much less a zero turn. But I know how to maintain engine driven equipment if it’s reasonably designed with maintenance in mind. But for the next 2 years it would be maintained by “others”.

I have read all the admonitions to not buy from a “Big Box” store and will heed them.

Would something like a Toro MX5060 be a good choice? What other mowers would you recommend?

Please keep it confined to my defined needs:

1 acre to mow maybe once a week in summer
I will not be the only operator
I won’t be there to personally do the maintenance 11 months a year for the first 2 years
Must be new for <$5000 so “used commercial mowers on Craigs List” are a no-go
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:53:47 AM EDT
[#1]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top