[#2]
I'll second Ronald Reagan.

Bobwrench
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:11:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:14:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Ronald Regan

But I have to say that G.W Bush is making one hell of a run for the title.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:14:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Ronald
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:16:32 PM EDT
[#6]
USS Ronald Reagan

C4
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:19:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Ronaldus Maximus.

(Add a poll)
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:20:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Ronnie.  Tricky Dick a not to distant second.

Eddie
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:21:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Reagan
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:24:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Ronald Regan
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:24:15 PM EDT
[#11]
In all honesty, George W.

I've never liked any president before, criticized them all.  Except for this Bush.  He's not perfect, does a lot of dumb shit like steel and lumber tariffs, pro mexican immigration, and he comes across as an inarticulate, mean-spirited doofus.  But I actually like him better than Reagan, and much more than George HW Bush.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:31:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Ronald Reagan.

For saying two things
"The bombing starts in 5 minutes".
And calling the USSR "The Evil Empire", which pissed off the liberals.

ED
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:34:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Right now, Ronald Reagan (also the first I voted for).
Depending on how things turn out between now and 2008, it might be George W Bush soon.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:35:12 PM EDT
[#14]
President Reagan had a big hand in bringing down USSR.  But time may have done the same.  George W. Bush has liberated two countries and may still bring a somewhat lasting peace to the middle east, at least in the Iraqi area.

G.W.B.'s actions were very [i]pro-active[/i] where Reagan's were more [i]passive[/i].

Just my .02 cents.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:35:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Ronald Reagan, The Great!

PUSH the arms race until it CHOKES the Evil Empire!  The liberals can't handle the truth.

Great thread, BTW.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:37:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
President Reagan had a big hand in bringing down USSR.  But time may have done the same.  George W. Bush has liberated two countries and may still bring a somewhat lasting peace to the middle east, at least in the Iraqi area.

G.W.B.'s actions were very [i]pro-active[/i] where Reagan's were more [i]passive[/i].

Just my .02 cents.

SGtar15
View Quote

I agree.  Good observation.  We'll see if GWB's approach will net him a 2nd term.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:40:52 PM EDT
[#17]
President Ronald Regan.
President G.W. Bush is one heck of a president so far.
I like both these men because they believe in what they are doing.
Anybody else see the resemblance in these two men?
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:42:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Ronald Reagan.

Proudly, I have his signature on my Eagle Scout Certificate, and a photo of him signing it. It's a Prized Posession, right behind my flown Blue Angels helmet.

Ronnie was a true conservative and took no shit from anyone. He's a role model for what the President should be... Regardless of what the democrats in my family say.

Klintoon is Satan.

SG
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:47:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Ronald Reagan.

Proudly, I have his signature on my Eagle Scout Certificate, and a photo of him signing it. It's a Prized Posession, right behind my flown Blue Angels helmet.

Ronnie was a true conservative and took no shit from anyone. He's a role model for what the President should be... Regardless of what the democrats in my family say.

Klintoon is Satan.

SG
View Quote

Unfortunately, I have WJC's signature on my Eagle certificate.  Its sloppyness resembles the trailer-trash that he is.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:48:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Just my .02 cents.

SGtar15
View Quote

I'm not going to let you get away with that! [:)]

When you compare Reagan's policies to his predecessors', he was incredibly active and aggressive.  The watchword in the 70's starting with Nixon and Kissenger was detente with the Soviets, and Carter did everything he could to assure them the US wouldn't have military dominance, and entered all sorts of arms limitation treaties. The harshest thing he ever did was boycott the Moscow summer games in 1980. Before that, the dotrine towards the East was CONTAINMENT.

Reagan threw all that out the fucking window.

Now, those old policies made sense because the East bloc was such a huge threat that could eventually lead to nuclear war.  You had to be prudent not to piss them off or go around creating crises. But it also made a situation where the East was comfortable and could sustain itself.

Reagan thought the whole Soviet system was WRONG. Evil empire.  The gulags, the terrorism, the repression....it was a bad thing.  And it had to go.  Reagan did everything he could to hurt the Soviet Union, mainly through economic warfare, proxy wars in Afghanistan/Nicaragua, and militarism. A whole book was written about it, quite good.  He elevated the CIA director to a cabinet-level authority, and let Bill Casey loose on communists all over the world, after Senator Church tried to castrate CIA under Carter.

Bush has a much freer hand to be aggressive against our enemies, because we dont have a USSR there to piss off and threaten our extinction.  It's a different world today, and a lot of thanks for that goes to Mr. Ronald Reagan.  Thank you, Ron! [hail2]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:51:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Reagan with GW a close second
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 5:01:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Excellent post, raven. Excellent.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 5:07:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Ronnie Raygun
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 5:10:49 PM EDT
[#24]
I also say Ronald Regan.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 5:15:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I also say Ronald Regan.
View Quote

Do you mean Donald Regan?[:D]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 5:18:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Ronald Reagan was definately the best President of my lifetime (so far) and easily one of the best ever. Dubya is looking good though.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 5:23:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ronald Reagan.

Klintoon is Satan.

SG
View Quote

Unfortunately, I have WJC's signature on my Eagle certificate.  Its sloppyness resembles the trailer-trash that he is.
View Quote

It is kinda shitty that the worst piece of shit to ever grace the office signed your cert, but that in NO way diminishes what you did to earn that rank.

You're a fellow Eagle, regardless of the POS that signed your cert.

SG

Link Posted: 6/16/2003 5:29:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Ronald Reagan

Link Posted: 6/16/2003 5:33:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Ronald Reagan, he was also the first President I was able to vote for.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 5:34:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Nixon

He had the courage to end the war.
View Quote

Nixon is very popular with some "modern liberals" for his forign policy work, which was predicated upon Kissenger's idea (a common idea among "smart people" back then, in fact) that the Soviet Union's "superior" economic system would dominate. So we were best off making friends with the Red bastards.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 5:38:37 PM EDT
[#31]
"I like Ike"
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 5:44:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Just my .02 cents.

SGtar15
View Quote

I like W, don't get me wrong -- but taking on
the Evil Empire and taking on Iraq are two different things. What kind of response would an  attempted American invasion of the USSR provoked in 1980, anyway? It is a lot easier being "pro-active" when you have the only big stick in town.

One key thing about RR: he understood the key issue of the day, which the "smart" leaders before him didn't get. He understood that the free market was superior to central planning. JFK's Wiz Kids and Nixon's Kissinger didn't get this. Carter still hasn't figured out that free markets are morally superior to Communist slavery, and I'm not sure that he ever cared to know which was the more efficient economically. Consequently, RR tackled the Soviets, while other US leaders applied KY Jelly & promised to swallow.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 5:51:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Who can be credited with defeating Russia without a single hostile battle?  

Reagan.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 6:00:38 PM EDT
[#34]
President George W. Bush
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 6:18:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Cheers to you, Mr. DonS.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 6:26:05 PM EDT
[#36]
I will add my vote for Ronald Reagan. I truly think he was a great president. I was in the Corps while he was president, and feel fortuante for that.
S/F
Flyingrhino
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 6:40:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Ronald Wilson Reagan

The Soviet Union did not collapse on it's own. Reagan pushed it to it's demise.

GWB may not be Reagan, but he's got Balls and Resolve like Reagan.

You DO NOT want to be on the bad side of a U.S. President that has Balls and Resolve...
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 6:41:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Ronald Reagan
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 6:59:22 PM EDT
[#39]
I would say Reagan, except his Middle East policy was so flawed and stupid, it kind of makes me want to select someone else.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 7:20:33 PM EDT
[#40]
I nominate Renaldus Maximus as the 5th President on Mt Rushmore.  Led the US through a defining moment in history--the destruction of a morally repugnant system (the USSR) using the moral and economic power of the free-market system.  Went into office to do three things--rebuild our defense establishment, defeat the Soviet Union, and cut taxes.  Overwhelmingly successful at all three:

- Created the foundations of a military that, 20 years later, was able to have a field training exercise in Iraq, instead of a bloodbath.  

- Started the longest economic growth period in history, creating an economy that TO THIS DAY (in spite of what Clinton tried to do, and make people believe, to the economy) continues to dwarf the rest of the world's

- Attacked (politically and economically) the USSR, ending in just ten years the most barbaric and cruel regime in history (over 20 million dead, by some estimates).

All hail Renaldus Maximus!

[img]http://www.newgenevacenter.org/portrait/reagan.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 8:02:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ronald Reagan.

Klintoon is Satan.

SG
View Quote

View Quote

It is kinda shitty that the worst piece of shit to ever grace the office signed your cert, but that in NO way diminishes what you did to earn that rank.

You're a fellow Eagle, regardless of the POS that signed your cert.

SG

View Quote

Your kind thoughts are appreciated.  I was 18 years old when I was awarded my Eagle (17 when the cert. was signed).  I missed GHWB's signature by 11 months.  [:(]

Good to see a fellow Scout on the board.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 8:20:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ronald Reagan.

Proudly, I have his signature on my Eagle Scout Certificate, and a photo of him signing it. It's a Prized Possession, right behind my flown Blue Angels helmet.

Klintoon is Satan.

SG
View Quote

Unfortunately, I have WJC's signature on my Eagle certificate.  Its sloppiness resembles the trailer-trash that he is.
View Quote

I was lucky.  I made Eagle in '91 so my certificate has Bush's signature on it.  A little later and it would have been WJC.  Like ScaryGuy said,  It's one of my prize possessions.

Link Posted: 6/17/2003 3:34:04 AM EDT
[#43]
I'd say Eisenhower, with Reagan second.  Those who don't remember Eisenhower's America probably can't understand, being victims of propaganda which usually includes derogatory, snide comments about the 50's.  The end of America began with the election of JFK the crook.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 4:55:41 AM EDT
[#44]
None. They have all infringed on my rights to some extent. God bless Jefferson Davis!
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:05:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Ronald Reagan
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 6:00:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Reagan, but if GWB gets the economy turned around and wins a second term, he's gonna give Ronnie a run for his money.  

Viewed objectively, I think Reagan is probably one of the top five presidents we've ever had.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 6:28:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Ronald Reagan...and for those who might be intrested...the USS Ronald Reagan gets commisioned next month in Newport News VA
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 6:38:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Ronald Reagan...and for those who might be intrested...the USS Ronald Reagan gets commisioned next month in Newport News VA
View Quote

I saw it had been moved from the Northrop Grumman shipyard over to Norfolk Naval Base.  Including the three commissioned CVNs in port, that made FOUR Nimitz-Class carriers sitting in the water beside one another at Norfolk.  Back in the summer of '97 they had all five Norfolk-based CVNs in port at the same time.  That doesn't happen very often and it's quite a sight to behold.

Do you know when it's scheduled to be commissioned?  I thought there were still several months of sea trials followed by some final "tuning" and then commissioning.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 7:27:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Bill Clinton:  He kept the congress so busy trying to impeach him that they couldn't pass as many laws as they generally did, thus making it safer for the average citizen & he turned the whitehouse into a whorehouse in more ways than one:)  How much did it cost to get the Lincoln bedroom?

Actually, it would have to be Ronald Reagan for the above stated reasons.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top