Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 1/19/2015 2:26:27 PM EST
I have about 5 acres that is poor soil. It was stripped of topsoil about 15-18 years ago and it does have some areas growing weeds and a few small pine trees have taken root, so it will support some plant growth. I have a year round creek so could water the grass as much as needed.

What is the best grass to get it back to a pasture type look. I'm not looking for a yard but will keep it mowed fairly regularly. Just tired of seeing the mud when it rains and the dust when its dry.

I'm in central/middle Georgia. So a mild climate.

I guess I'm looking for the grass they throw on the road shoulders since that stuff will grow anywhere.

Is it Bahia grass??

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:31:05 PM EST
I think you would have good luck with Fescue. If you're going to use it for feed, get endophyte free fescue. You also don't want a monoculture. Make sure you plant a mix. You need some grass, some legumes and a few forbs.

We improve our pastures with Orchardgrass, meadow brome, fescue, red clover and birdsfoot trefoil. Sometimes I'll add Chickory, but it doesn't seem to be all that long lived.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:32:16 PM EST
5 acres of bamboo.

You'll have your own slice of SE Asia in no time.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:35:12 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/19/2015 2:36:22 PM EST by wally910]
Originally Posted By georgiagun:
I have about 5 acres that is poor soil. It was stripped of topsoil about 15-18 years ago and it does have some areas growing weeds and a few small pine trees have taken root, so it will support some plant growth. I have a year round creek so could water the grass as much as needed.

What is the best grass to get it back to a pasture type look. I'm not looking for a yard but will keep it mowed fairly regularly. Just tired of seeing the mud when it rains and the dust when its dry.

I'm in central/middle Georgia. So a mild climate.

I guess I'm looking for the grass they throw on the road shoulders since that stuff will grow anywhere.

Is it Bahia grass??

View Quote

Bahia is a good one to try. I might have some organic matter cut into the soil prior to planting. You can probably get several truckloads of chicken litter brought in, spread and cut in prior to planting and it would probably help some. ETA do a soil sample and send it to your local UGA extension to see what your soil needs. It may need some lime, which can also be brought in and spread via a live bottom spreader.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:41:48 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Tomislav:
5 acres of bamboo.

http://i.imgur.com/sNu2n7W.jpg?1

You'll have your own slice of SE Asia in no time.

View Quote

Oh hell naw... I had some in a yard in Savannah and that stuff is insane to mess with.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:44:17 PM EST

You don't have enough water to keep fescue alive in the summer. My neighbor is watering 3 times a day in the summer just to have green grass and it is still a losing battle.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:54:31 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:59:22 PM EST
I would suggest a cross bluegrass, Kentucky bluegrass, featherbed bent, and northern California sinsemilla. The amazing stuff about this is that you can play 36 holes on it in the afternoon take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus-belt at night on this stuff. I've got pounds of this stuff. [hands his joint] Here, take a puff on this big ole' Bob Marley joint.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:00:41 PM EST
Talk with your local Extension Office. They can test your soil and give you a nutrient profile and test the pH. They can also help you choose the right grass.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:02:08 PM EST
Originally Posted By Paul:
Does your local county have a college cooperative?

The local college has programs where they'll come out and do soil tests and make recommendations for you. They'll also diagnose diseases and bug infestations.

The price is right too.
View Quote

This.

Typically the best starting place is your university extension.

Georgia Forages: Grass Species
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:05:41 PM EST
Originally Posted By Robja:

You don't have enough water to keep fescue alive in the summer. My neighbor is watering 3 times a day in the summer just to have green grass and it is still a losing battle.
View Quote

There are drought resistant fescues. Lawn fescue isn't one of them.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:26:55 PM EST
Originally Posted By stutzcattle:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Robja:

Drought-tolerant fescue has worked well here in SW Idaho after 2 years in a row with lack of water for irrigation. My field also includes some brome, winter rye, Timothy, and clover...though if you're selling it for feed, clover can change horse urine color...bothers some people but no physical effect on the horses.

I bought this place 13 years ago, the field was planted in 1994 and still puts out a great yield.

I had mine certified endophyte-free by Dr. Morris' lab at Oregon State University...he's kind of one of the leaders regarding endophytes...I personally grow enough so we don't have to buy hay, but I would NOT buy fescue bales without evidence its endophyte-free. Endophytes can screw up pregnant or lactating mares and produce abortions and still births.

As has been posted...call your local Ag Extension office and have an agent make a farm visit. Do NOT use the general-purpose-grows-everywhere-Joe-Bob mix from your local feed store...you have no idea whether it was mixed for your area or the planet Mars.

hth

-hanko

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:27:20 PM EST
Coastal or Bahia and sale the hay to someone
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:16:03 PM EST
Check your conservation office. Since you're not grazing, I'd look into Buffalo Grass, some type of bluestem and some orchard grass. I had 3 acres I turned into wildlife forage and the Wildlife office supplied some native grasses for quail and turkey.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:24:53 PM EST
Johnson Grass will grow anywhere. I bet it would event grow on Hillary's heart.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:11:27 PM EST
There have been a lot of suggestions to go to your local extension office. You should, but know that those guys are mostly retarded govt workers.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:13:24 PM EST
There have been a lot of suggestions to go to your local extension office. You should, but know that those guys are mostly retarded govt workers.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:20:06 PM EST
Fescue is what they use on strip mines in ky.
Top Top