Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/7/2003 5:33:29 PM EDT
I'm sure this topic's been done before, but I'll do it again, just for me.  I've been thinking about dumping my USPC .40 in favor of a compact .45, specifically a 1911.  My sister has a Kimber Ultra Carry CDP and after carrying an firing it, I think it's a stellar weapon, especially for a CCW.  I'm a newbie to the complicated world of 1911's.....anybody have any recommendations?

--ZERO
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 5:36:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I like my stainless combat comander.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 5:36:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I really like the para ordance P12 but for CCW I would probably go with a single stack.

The compact 1911's that I really like for carry is the colt defender.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 5:39:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep.  Kimber Ultra Carry CDP.

I carry a Compact CDP.

Link Posted: 12/7/2003 5:48:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Kimber.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 5:57:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I have not had much luck with the 3 inch tube 1911's  But I have a Colt Commander (NRM) that I stake my life on.  Amazing what that 1 inch less will do for carry.

And the new Colts are great. They must have realized they were going under.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:03:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Wilson Stealth.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:12:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Springfield Compact LW.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:21:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I've CCW'd a 1911 just about every day for the last 25 years, and have gone through a number of Commanders. The bottom line, for me, at least, is that a Commander-sized pistol is no easier to conceal than a full-size 1911.

Granted I'm 6'4" and built like a linebacker, but unless you are planning on going with one of the smaller 1911's, consider just carrying a full-size 1911 in a good holster. That extra barrel length gives you bit more MV, which can't hurt.

Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:21:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Wilson Stealth.
View Quote

Heh.  2+k.....Heh.......

*sigh*.....
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:23:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a Kimber Compact CDP.

I really like it. It handles well for a lightweight pistol. Very little muzzle flip.

Have no experience with any other compacts, other than a SIG P245. Lots of muzzle flip. Sold it.

I will have to say though, the SIG was absolutely positively reliable. The Kimber had some teething problems.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:25:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Para Ordnance Companion Carry
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 9:11:04 PM EDT
[#12]
STI Ranger

Commander length barrel and slide, shorter than officers length grip. (same as the Detonics)

Very accurate, well built. Uses full size mags if you need to.

[url]www.stiguns.com[/url]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 9:19:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
STI Ranger

Commander length barrel and slide, shorter than officers length grip. (same as the Detonics)

Very accurate, well built. Uses full size mags if you need to.

[url]www.stiguns.com[/url]
View Quote
Sounds like what I've heard about the Springfield's Compact model.  "Champion" length slide/barrel (4") with the "Ultra-compact" frame (Officer's size).
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 9:58:02 PM EDT
[#14]
If you can get your hands on a SA ultra compact try it you just might like it!  I really like mine it shoots point of aim(right on)!

Not very big(but very heavy) about 2 lbs!

You can find many 8+1 .45 acp less weight,but damn this one is a tack driver!

Bob [:D]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 10:33:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Ed Brown Kobra Carry
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 10:43:05 PM EDT
[#16]
[b]Kimber UltraCarry II in SS[/b][:D]

[devil]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:04:51 AM EDT
[#17]

Kimber Compact.
NOVAK adjustable night sights.
Ed Brown Safety.
CMC Extreme beavertail.
STI sear.
WILSON mags.
All tuned up and ready to go.

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/065227.JPG[/img]

I'll probably checker the frontstrap and add rosewood grips after Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:32:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Para Ord's "CCW" model gets the top nod here, in my opinion.

I've shot one, and I loved it.   The "LDA" light double action trigger is very nice, and you can carry it with a round in the pipe without any worry whatsoever of an accidental discharged if its' dropped.  Its got all the concealed carry bells and whistles, including a completely bobbed hammer.  I never thought I'd like a double action only gun, but you can take one of these guns, ballance a penny on the front site and pull the trigger in a dry fire without losing the penny.  

The one I shot kept nice tight groups and was "on" from the factory.  I'd love to buy one some day.  

[img]http://pix.gunbroker.com/pixhost/2003-05-25/Paula_1053975728_CCW745S.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:47:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Since a 1911 can't be anymore compact than 5" barrel with a full size frame...Oh you mean 1911 styled pistol.  A Kimber Compact Stainless.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:53:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Here's my choice for: [b]Best\Favorite Compact 1911[/b]

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=9917[/img]

Of course you'll have a hard time getting your hands on one these Detonics "Combat Masters".....

Ya can check them out tho on: [url]www.biggerhammer.net[/url], pick on the Detonics area, they do sell a few there on the Detonics forum, occasionally.

Mike

PS - added: this is the [b]"smallest"[/b] 1911 package ever devised and btw, it's also the [b]"fastest cycling"[/b] 45acp ever made. You can shoot 7 rounds thru this pistol before your competitor can get off 4 rounds in a standard 1911, hence the name [b]"Combat Master"[/b].
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 9:03:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I've shot one, and I loved it.   The "LDA" light double action trigger is very nice, and you can carry it with a round in the pipe without any worry whatsoever of an accidental discharged if its' dropped.  Its got all the concealed carry bells and whistles, including a completely bobbed hammer.  I never thought I'd like a double action only gun, but you can take one of these guns, ballance a penny on the front site and pull the trigger in a dry fire without losing the penny.  

The one I shot kept nice tight groups and was "on" from the factory.  I'd love to buy one some day.  

[url]http://pix.gunbroker.com/pixhost/2003-05-25/Paula_1053975728_CCW745S.jpg[/url]
View Quote

This is definately not a 1911.  It is kinda shaped like one.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 11:16:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

[url]http://pix.gunbroker.com/pixhost/2003-05-25/Paula_1053975728_CCW745S.jpg[/url]
View Quote

View Quote

Let me get this straight. You can change the hammer, grip safety, safety, slide release, barrel bushing, add two piece guide rod, add a firing pin safety, etc. etc. and it's still a "1911", but change the trigger to be DAO and suddenly it's not ???
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 3:22:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Let me get this straight. You can change the hammer, grip safety, safety, slide release, barrel bushing, add two piece guide rod, add a firing pin safety, etc. etc. and it's still a "1911", but change the trigger to be DAO and suddenly it's not ???
View Quote

That's right.  changing the pistol to double action only and calling it a 1911..John Moses Browning is rolling over in his grave.  The great thing about the 1911 and probably the most important thing is the straight to the rear trigger pull...You notice Para Ordnance doesn't call it a 1911.  They call it a 1911 style handgun.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 9:57:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Do these various compact 45s come with throated barrels? and do any have compensaators built in?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top