Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2001 10:18:50 PM EDT
What would be a good FAL parts kit? Which kind is good? I'm looking for a metric parts kit.

Link Posted: 9/9/2001 10:45:27 PM EDT
[#1]
The Austrian STG58 kits are probably top of the line. They're now going for $300 to $350. I think Federal Arms still has them for $299 and I think SOG or one of those places has them for $350. They are getting a little scarce these days. And there are some South African kits going for $100 or so, but they are not in really great shape. I believe there are also Brazilian kits available.

For the 7 US parts, you can't beat Tapco, although some say the DSA parts (especially H/T/S are better made). The Tapco parts are usually made by FSE, which are getting better as time goes on.
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 11:16:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy an Imbel kit. Most have really nice parts and great bores. However you could also buy a Decent kit for about $225 then buy a new chrome lined Argentine barrel for about $100 or less. If you decide to go with the Argentine chrome lined setup I would spend the extra dough and get the complete barrel and chrome line gas tube. I would then get a PAC Imbel reciever- these are original FAL reciever and not some US made copy junk that costs twice as much. You will spend about $600 give or take for the Imbel parts and Imbel reciever total. Then another $100 on US internals, stay away from anything made by Hesse. I have also found the Entreprise zero climb brake to be quite nice and it works. The DSA version is just a copy minus the two upper port holes. Remember the hardest thing about building the FAL is timing in the barrel but most guys on the boards will "rent" you a barrel wrench or you can buy one for about $50. Make sure to get Gunplumbers downloadable FAL build files- this is a nice way to figure what you are doing. Also you can swap out the locking shoulder should your specs be off so no need to buy one.
Hope this helps,
Creeper  
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 11:47:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What would be a good FAL parts kit? Which kind is good? I'm looking for a metric parts kit.
View Quote

As previously stated, the STG58 is one to shoot for.  But few dealers have any decent ones left.  M&A Parts has Exc condition kits listed at $350.

As for Imbels, there are plenty to go around but quality is spotty.  check out [url]http://www.falparts.com[/url] he's got some nice Imbels available.  Dan has three grades available starting at $175 all the way to $250.

Tapco and DSA now have the G1 kits.  The G1's are like the STG58's in appearance except for the wooden buttstock.   These are ranging from $129 - 179.

I'd suggest going for the Imbels right now.  I've checked out about a dozen kits and most of them had decent bores.  They do need to be refinished but they shoot great.

Check out the FAL Files Message Board here [url]http://www.l1a1.com/cgi-bin/forums/ultimatebb.cgi[/url] to get more info on whats out there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top