Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2017 5:23:27 PM EDT
I don't even have a credit card right now. A friend of mine swears he flies for free every year and never pays interest just the annual fee of 95.00. ( pays card off every month)

Is it worth having the card and can you really fly for free if you keep no balance?

deal that he told me about

I do travel often but mostly on private flights for work-related entertainment trips. But when I take the family we fly commercial.

thanks guys
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:36:11 PM EDT
[#1]
We like AMEX. Everything gets charged to AMEX.

Benefit. A few years ago my wife's son has a destination wedding. Wife & I are self employed and this was during the recession == we struggled just pay our mortgage. I insisted that I should not go. Wife demanded that I do ... and I get that, but I did not want to go bankrupt either.

Lo-o-ng story short, she finally used AMEX travel (I didn't know they had that) to make all of the plans (her direct efforts were sucky). AMEX got us into the Hilton on the beach, ocean side, up very high for 4 nights AND 1st class both ways for the total of $800. What a great time we had!!!!   I gave h for just 4 nights ... kidding of course.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:39:22 PM EDT
[#2]
It kind of depends on where you live/travel.

We are on the west coast and most of our travel is to visit wife's family in Mexico, so Alaska card is a no brainer for us. We have 4 of them between us. I put all business expenses on them for lots of miles, and we also use the annual companion fare.

I haven't bought a full-priced ticket on Alaska (or partners) in years.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:41:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It kind of depends on where you live/travel.
View Quote
Yep,  I do most of my travel on Southwest and have their Chase card.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:41:58 PM EDT
[#4]
depends on which carrier you prefer and goes where you want to go.

I like Delta, have their AMEX and am happy.

YMMV
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:42:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I was looking into airline credit cards and multiple websites mentioned getting a general rewards travel card unless you fly constantly on the same airline.
Fwiw I have the Marriott card and in yearly spending usually get 4-5 free nights at least.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:43:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I don't even have a credit card right now. A friend of mine swears he flies for free every year and never pays interest just the annual fee of 95.00. ( pays card off every month)

Is it worth having the card and can you really fly for free if you keep no balance?

deal that he told me about

I do travel often but mostly on private flights for work-related entertainment trips. But when I take the family we fly commercial.

thanks guys
View Quote

The answer you seek is the Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards card.  Right not the promotion is 60,000 points after spending $2000 in 3 months.  The kicker?  YOU CAN APPLY FOR TWO CARDS AT ONCE!  The Personal PLUS, and Personal PREMIER.  

When you get 60k points from each card, that automatically qualifies you for a free companion pass!  Everytime you fly, for the rest on this year AND the next year, your companion flies FREE! Even if you use points to buy the original ticket!

My wife and I both did it.  Each time we fly, one of our kids flies with us for free!   We have travelled A TON on our points, and made some awesome family vacations much cheaper!
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:17:07 PM EDT
[#7]
'Airline' cards are not the best. Check to see if ALL purchases count, and does it have blackout dates.  Probably better off going with a 'double points' or 'money back' card. Mine doesn't have blackout dates since you are really just buying a ticket straight up, and if I don't fly I can use points for other things or cash.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top