Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/13/2011 1:16:45 PM EDT
Ok folks. Food Network has already taught me that this topic has much debate.

My buddy and I are getting a feeling of being cooped up so it's looking like we will be driving from Columbus, OH to Philadelhia, PA for lunch tomorrow!

We could probably go to 2 places, and split the sandwich at each location. Probably stop by Independence Hall before driving back.

I know we could just do Pat's and Jeno's since they are across the street from each other, but are there better options?

So, what's GD's opinion?
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 1:17:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Ah shit, now you did it.

ETA: I like Tony Luke's.  Although I think I prefer DeNic's roast pork sammiches with rabe.

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 1:18:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Gino's.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 1:19:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

My buddy and I are getting a feeling of being cooped up so it's looking like we will be driving from Columbus, OH to Philadelhia, PA for lunch tomorrow!

We could probably go to 2 places, and split the sandwich at each location. Probably stop by Independence Hall before driving back.

I know we could just do Pat's and Jeno's since they are across the street from each other, but are there better options?

So, what's GD's opinion?

Not Pat's or Genos.

Go to Steve's Prince of Steaks, Chink's, or Tony Luke's for a quality cheesesteak
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 1:19:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

So, what's GD's opinion?

I've had Geno's and was unimpressed.

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 1:21:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, what's GD's opinion?

Not Pat's or Genos.

Go to Steve's Prince of Steaks, Chink's, or Tony Luke's for a quality cheesesteak

Thanks for the responses so far.

If any in the know can recommend their top 2 places, please do so.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 1:30:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I really like Lee's Hoagie House.  Whatever you do, don't get a sandwich with cheeze wiz.  Thats not a real philly steak.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 1:34:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Gino's.

with extra whiz!!!
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 1:36:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I really like Lee's Hoagie House.  Whatever you do, don't get a sandwich with cheeze wiz.  Thats not a real philly steak.

Go Lee's!
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 1:40:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Kill two birds with one stone.  Pats and Genos are across the street from each other.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 1:46:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Sarcone's deli has amazing bread. They make a pretty decent steak.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 1:47:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I thought Geno's was better than Pat's but better cheese steaks can be had elsewhere.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 1:49:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Who ever uses provalone instead of wiz.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 1:51:02 PM EDT
[#13]

I went to college in Philly.  Can't tell you the best place to go but I have very fond gastronomic memories of the place.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 1:54:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I am partial to Tony Luke's, myself. Pat's and Geno's are a little bready and bland in my opinion, and not much different from one another.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 1:56:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Dalessandro's. (I love chopped steaks)
Tony Luke's

Or, Dinic's roast pork with the rabe.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 1:59:52 PM EDT
[#16]
PATS          but at 230 am they all rock!!!!
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 2:02:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, what's GD's opinion?

Not Pat's or Genos.

Steve's Prince of Steaks +1000
Go to the original one at Bustleton Av and St Vincent Str in NE Pihla....
You will not be disappoint.

Next I would suggest Jim's on South Str.

At Steve's go for the American Cheese, at Jim's go fo the Wiz.

If you're coming from Ohio on the greenstamp (Pa Turnpike) get off at the Phila interchange (US 1) and go south on the Roosevlet Blvd.....When you get past Rhawn St, get into the "outer drive" of the Blvd and go right on Cottman Av (PA 73). Take Cottman Av to Bustleton and turn Left, in one block you will find a happy place on the corner on the right!!
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 2:07:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Do not try to take a pocket knife into Independence square.  

Just sayin............................
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 2:18:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Between Pat's and Geno's, I will take Pat's 99 times out of 100.

I'm about 50/50 between Pat's and Steve's.....they are both excellent.

If you visit Philly and its going to be a 'one time' kinda thing, just do what everyone does.....go to Geno's....get a cheesesteak.....then walk across the street and eat it while you wait on line at Pat's.....then get one there

Decide for yourself.

I usually wind up hitting Steve's because its closer to me and convenient....but if Pat's was just as easy for me to get to I'd go there equally as much.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 2:20:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yeah, they tell you that, but I ignored the signs and went through just fine.

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 2:21:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Oh Jesus FUCK don't get me started on the retarded security apes they have in that area.

You get damn near a fucking cavity search to go into Independence Hall or the Liberty Bell. I swear there are about ten idiot securitards at all the gates, ten or so park rangers doing tours and even a couple cops roaming around the (tiny) grounds. It's an absolutely shameful waste of money. Each of them has an enormous chip on their shoulder, too. (the cops and securitards, not the rangers) and will take their own sweet time enforcing the shit out of their tiny patch of authority.

They're stupid, insolent and bored. Awesome combination.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 2:22:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Another vote for Jim's on South Street.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 2:22:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Grew up in South Jersey, half-way between Philly and Cape May.   It wasn't until until 2007 that I made an effort to go to Pat's.   I was used to cheesesteaks being made one or two at a time in the local bars and delis.  

When I ate a Pat's I wasn't impressed by the 10lbs of greasy meat on the grill, some of it not getting cooked all the way through during lunch time rush.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 2:23:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Between Pat's and Geno's.....

I'll take Jim's any day of the week.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 2:23:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Kill two birds with one stone.  Pats and Genos are across the street from each other.  

Oh Jeeeeez.....I did that one day.....prevy pizza steak witout,......Genos won.......I had both
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 2:25:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Dalessandro's. (I love chopped steaks)
Tony Luke's

Or, Dinic's roast pork with the rabe.

mmmmmmmmmm....delis cheese steak....how about schubbies across the street?   tough choice......
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 2:25:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
PATS          but at 230 am they all rock!!!!

ding ding ding.....we have a winner!
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 2:27:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Between Pat's and Geno's.....

I'll take Jim's any day of the week.

I gotta go back and try Jims........
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 2:31:24 PM EDT
[#29]
pats and genos are both overated.. i went once to say i did it, but wont go back. i've had better cheesesteak sandwiches from the frozen food section of costco. no shit.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 2:32:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh Jesus FUCK don't get me started on the retarded security apes they have in that area.

You get damn near a fucking cavity search to go into Independence Hall or the Liberty Bell. I swear there are about ten idiot securitards at all the gates, ten or so park rangers doing tours and even a couple cops roaming around the (tiny) grounds. It's an absolutely shameful waste of money. Each of them has an enormous chip on their shoulder, too. (the cops and securitards, not the rangers) and will take their own sweet time enforcing the shit out of their tiny patch of authority.

Try going into the Federal Reserve bank.
Granted, I can actually understand the reason for security there....but its definitely a notch up from anything else in that city.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 2:33:12 PM EDT
[#31]
if it's gotta be in philly....  Jim's.  no contest.  If you really want a cheesesteak with real meat, go over the bridge to sj
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 2:43:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They just had me open my jacket and waved me through.

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 2:59:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Who ever uses provalone instead of wiz.

This
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 3:02:30 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, what's GD's opinion?

Not Pat's or Genos.

I hit Tony Luke's on the way to Princeton 2 weeks ago with my sons.  Meat was dry and there was very little cheese (we got 3 types - the Whiz, the American, and the "sharp").  We each had some of each type.  

So, in the last two months, we've sampled Geno's, {at's, and Tony Luke's.  We still think Geno's is IT.  

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 3:02:41 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 3:03:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, what's GD's opinion?

Not Pat's or Genos.

Steve's Prince of Steaks +1000
Go to the original one at Bustleton Av and St Vincent Str in NE Pihla....
You will not be disappoint.

Next I would suggest Jim's on South Str.

At Steve's go for the American Cheese, at Jim's go fo the Wiz.

If you're coming from Ohio on the greenstamp (Pa Turnpike) get off at the Phila interchange (US 1) and go south on the Roosevlet Blvd.....When you get past Rhawn St, get into the "outer drive" of the Blvd and go right on Cottman Av (PA 73). Take Cottman Av to Bustleton and turn Left, in one block you will find a happy place on the corner on the right!!

Steve's is my personal favorite
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 3:12:38 PM EDT
[#37]
It's not even a competition.  If I can avoid the flash mobs , I'll be eating one tomorrow night.  I have one about once a month (I live in the Philly suburbs in Horsham).  Pats and Genos really aren't that good, and the lines are usually ridiculous.  

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 3:16:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Gino's.

Ripped off pats 30 years later
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 3:21:58 PM EDT
[#39]
I ate Pat's for years and finally broke down and tried Geno's.

It was fucking horrible.

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 3:39:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Gino's.

Bah. Not a chance. I'd say try both, just because, but Pat's hands down. If you want to stop by tony lukes on the way out of town, not a bad idea. Get that for dinner after wandering around the city.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 3:51:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Can't speak to the best one, but pat and genos suck. Had better philly at a roadside cart. They are cool to do for the experience, but neither blew my skirt up.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 3:55:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Meh, just ate some a few minutes ago.

Sliced some THIN slices off a round roast from a doe my daughter shot last season.
(Semi-frozen so can slice thin)

Fried some onions and green peppers from the garden in a little butter.
Slathered a kaiser roll w/ mayo, piled on the meat, fried onions and peppers, some melted American and provolone cheese.

Eat and repeat as needed.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 4:00:45 PM EDT
[#43]
The ghetto joint two streets over from the greyhound station that I had one at in 1995.

Back when shit was still cool, that's around about when it stopped being cool in philly.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 4:07:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Gino's.

It's gEno's, tourist.

OP - Tony Lukes is better by a country mile.  Or go to the Reading Terminal Market and get a roast pork with broccoli rabe at Dinic's.  Or a perfect italian hoagie at Salumeria.  Or a hot pastrami at Hershel's.  Or ice cream at Bassett's (richer than haagen daaz)  Or a fresh hand rolled soft pretzel at Millers...  

Actually, I just realized where I want to have lunch tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 4:20:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gino's.

It's gEno's, tourist.

OP - Tony Lukes is better by a country mile.  Or go to the Reading Terminal Market and get a roast pork with broccoli rabe at Dinic's.  Or a perfect italian hoagie at Salumeria.  Or a hot pastrami at Hershel's.  Or ice cream at Bassett's (richer than haagen daaz)  Or a fresh hand rolled soft pretzel at Millers...  

Try the turkey, stuffing and cranberry sauce on sourdough bread at the turkey sandwich shop.

Or go to Gaetano's steaks in N.J.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 4:21:06 PM EDT
[#46]
I only ever do Pat's or Geno's when I've been drinking. If you want a good sammich... Lous on main street in Norristown. Get a cheesesteak zep... It'll change your life!!

Little Sicily in Bridgeport. (with mozzarella cheese fries)

Cheesesteak Zep from lou's.

The best hot roast pork sandwich is from Lenny's Deli in Conshohocken.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 4:23:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Tony Luke's
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 4:24:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 4:28:53 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gino's.

It's gEno's, tourist.

I always spend way too much time at the market.

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 4:29:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Stake-umms are just as good...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top