Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/30/2001 2:28:21 PM EDT
If you were going to airmail an AR, which carrier would you choose and why? I've used USPS, and it did work, but it wasn't airmail. After I sent it, a day or so later I told the postlady at the office that I sent a rifle through them, and she almost gave birth! She thought it was illegal. Too late for that, it arrived a day later.

Do they x-ray airmail packages? Would I have to disclose the contents of the box? Or would it be better to ground ship? Speed is important.

Fed Ex? UPS? USPS? Airmail? Not airmail? What would you recommend?
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 3:04:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I would like to see some definitive imput.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 3:05:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 3:42:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not sure about the legalities about the USPS but you could break the weapon down into two packages and shouldn't have a problem. Check it's weight against price for one or two packages and see if it'll work.

Contents: Machined parts
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 4:17:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I have shipped many long guns through the USPS. It is totally legal for an individual to ship a long gun to a licensed dealer or a manufacturer.  You also are NOT required by law to tell the USPS that you are shipping a firearm (though you are if you ship it via a common carrier, eg UPS or FedEx).  So I say ship it via the post office and in the unlikely event that they ask you what it is (they have NEVER asked me, no matter how much insurance I've taken out on it) tell them it's machine parts or something.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 4:35:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I always ship FEDEX and do not use anyone else.  Many repair shops and gunsmiths use FEDEX.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 1:52:09 AM EDT
[#6]
You may not be required by law, RikWriter, but Postal Code says otherwise.
3.0 RIFLES AND SHOTGUNS
Although unloaded rifles and shotguns not precluded by 1.1e and 1.2 are mailable,
mailers must comply with the Gun Control Act of 1968, Public Law 90-618, 18
USC 921, et seq., and the rules and regulations promulgated thereunder, 27 CFR
178, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to
establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded
and not precluded by 1.1e.
View Quote
I've generally found the Postal Service EASIER to deal with on long gun shipment than I have the local UPS morons who are singling out and opening ALL firearm and firearm related packages ("We're checking to see if there's really a gun in there.") The local UPS service center will also not allow firearms and firearm related packages to be shipped via a UPS drop-off location like MBE and the like. The local manager is a moron and it shows in everything UPS does here. Therefore, I would recommend ANYONE to ship BESIDES UPS to ship your guns. BTW, the new FedEx Ground (formerly known as RPS) is VERY competitive with UPS' rates. I hope that they run them out of business.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 5:35:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Jim Dandy:
You may not be required by law, RikWriter, but Postal Code says otherwise.
3.0 RIFLES AND SHOTGUNS
Although unloaded rifles and shotguns not precluded by 1.1e and 1.2 are mailable,
mailers must comply with the Gun Control Act of 1968, Public Law 90-618, 18
USC 921, et seq., and the rules and regulations promulgated thereunder, 27 CFR
178, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to
establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded
View Quote

Umm...actually if you READ the section you just QUOTED you will not find anywhere in it that says "You must notify the mailers that you're shipping a firearm."
And I frankly don't give a damn what postal regulations say, I will follow the law but they can stick their regulations up their ass.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 5:39:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Uh, I think it says
The mailer may be required by the USPS to
View Quote
And yes, Postal Regulations are backed up by Federal Law, just as the same U.S.C. that backs up the '68 GCA.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 6:30:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Jim Dandy:
Uh, I think it says
The mailer may be required by the USPS to
View Quote
View Quote

Yes, it indeed says that. It does NOT say you must notify them what's inside the package.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 7:02:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Okay, since you're splitting hairs now, if you indicate that the gun is unloaded, are you or are you not notifying postal authorities that you're shipping a firearm? Do whatever you think you can get away with, but save some jack for an attorney if you're insistent on creating your own Postal Regulations and interpreting things as you see fit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top