Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 3/22/2006 6:02:57 AM EDT
Bought a sub-woof for the new TV yesterday.

The "loss prevention" chick at the front door watched me pay - then as I exited demanded that I stop and hand over the receipt to prove that I paid for it.  I was pissed - she saw me pay for it and hassled me anyway.  I told her I didn't have time for this nonsense and to leave me alone.  She grabbed at the receipt to look anyway, and said "okay - you can go".  If I wasn't already late for a meeting I would have raised holy hell.

I'm still pissed.

I'm going to call them and ask for a meeting with the manager to hassle them.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:04:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I would have just refused, and kept walking.  What can she really do?

The best option would have been to draw down though.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:05:39 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

The "loss prevention" chick at the front door watched me pay - then as I exited demanded that I stop and hand over the receipt to prove that I paid for it.  I was pissed - she saw me pay for it and hassled me anyway.  I told her I didn't have time for this nonsense and to leave me alone.  She grabbed at the receipt to look anyway, and said "okay - you can go".  If I wasn't already late for a meeting I would have raised holy hell.

I'm still pissed.

Good tactics, that will go far. Let us know what happens and how good you feel after.

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:05:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Popcorn - check!
Tasty pop - check!

Let the fun begin.

Av.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:07:46 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I was walking and refusing, she basically ass-aulted me...
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:08:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Easy solution: Don't shop at any store that believes that their customers are potential criminals!

Tell everyone you know not to shop at WORST BUY!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:08:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Ever been to Fry's? They are the Nazis of door checkpoints.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:09:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I know a lot of places mark your receipt with a highlighter or something, to prevent someone from walking out again 5 minutes later with another product using the same receipt.

Ya know, it really doesn't bother me.  Stores are private enterprises.  Don't like their policies, don't shop there.  It isn't nearly as bad as the .gov requireing some stupid shit.  
If they have great prices, loss prevention is part of the reason why.
I'm not going to hassle some teenage girl or elderly box store greeter.  I've got better things to do with my time.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:09:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Cheeks! Paging Cheeks!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:10:16 AM EDT
[#9]
It is their store.  I am glad they do it to keep my prices down.  The less security the more theivery, the higher the prices.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:10:33 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was walking and refusing, she basically ass-aulted me...

Thats where drawing down comes into the picture.

"Officer, I was just walking out and minding my business, then she assaulted me.  The bright sun outside messed with my vision, and the barcode reader in her hand looked like a gun to me.  I feared for my life"
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:12:54 AM EDT
[#11]
They try and stop me everytime I buy something there- I just keep walking and ignore them. It works for me
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:14:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Why not show her the reciept?  It takes like 5 seconds of your time.....
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:14:46 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

"Officer, I was just walking out and minding my business, then she assaulted me.  The bright sun outside messed with my vision, and the barcode reader in her hand looked like a gun to me.  I feared for my life"

"I had to shoot her fifteen times with my cool Glock.  I wanted to be sure the threat was neutralized, so I ran to my car and got my Reminton 870 Special Police Edition shotgun with Wilson sights and Duracoat finish.  I didn't really like the way her blood was pooling on the sidewalk, so I gave her a load of buckshot, and a slug to the head, because I alternate rounds in my high speed shotgun.  See how tactical I am???"
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:25:46 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"I had to shoot her fifteen times with my cool Glock.  I wanted to be sure the threat was neutralized, so I ran to my car and got my Reminton 870 Special Police Edition shotgun with Wilson sights and Duracoat finish.  I didn't really like the way her blood was pooling on the sidewalk, so I gave her a load of buckshot, and a slug to the head, because I alternate rounds in my high speed shotgun.  See how tactical I am???"

That's an oxymoron.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:31:07 AM EDT
[#15]
I bought 1 boxed item - it was not in a bag - it was a factory sealed 18" cube box.  2:35pm on a Tuesday.

I was handed a receipt by the cashier while the loss prevention woman stared at me making the transaction - I made sure she had eye contact with me during this whole process to avoid the exit search.

There was no question that I have paid for a scanned item, had a receipt, and the merchandise belongs to me.

I just spoke to Shane, the ass't manager, who's responsibility includes loss prevention for the store.  Shane is calling me back with a time when he, I, and the store manager will meet.

Shane totally admits that they made a mistake.  Some things in life are obvious.

I asked if there is a sign that says you agree to an exit search in order to complete a transaction - he said he thinks its on the back of the receipt.

At least the Walmart Nazis don't run you down when you refuse, but Best Buy will run you down and you will comply - even if it is unnecessary and disrespectful.

I was running a bit late for a meeting, and didn't have time for nonsense.

I feel so violated!!!

Pass the popcorn please.  Do you have a receipt for that popcorn?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:33:27 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I'm still pissed.

Was she hot? Maybe she just wanted to check the goods up close for a bit.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:33:57 AM EDT
[#17]
When I've bought ammo at WalMart while going to the range, I just hand them the receipt and keep walking without waiting for them to hand it back.  They seem to get confused.

Like I'm going to return ammo.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:35:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:36:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:37:27 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
They try and stop me everytime I buy something there- I just keep walking and ignore them. It works for me

Once again, did that - she wasn't going to let me walk - she grabbed at the receipt, and there is ABSOLUTELY no way she could have even focused on what it said at arms length before she said - okay, you can leave.

She wanted to touch the receipt - not read it.

Yes, 5 seconds is not much time to assure prices are right - but obvious is obvious.

You will comply!
also - I'm just in a bad mood lately and want to kick a dog or human or something and looking for a reason to be pissy...  but she was wrong, and I am often right!

Popcorn?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:39:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Attention?

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:40:03 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I bought 1 boxed item - it was not in a bag - it was a factory sealed 18" cube box.  2:35pm on a Tuesday.

I was handed a receipt by the cashier while the loss prevention woman stared at me making the transaction - I made sure she had eye contact with me during this whole process to avoid the exit search.

There was no question that I have paid for a scanned item, had a receipt, and the merchandise belongs to me.

I just spoke to Shane, the ass't manager, who's responsibility includes loss prevention for the store.  Shane is calling me back with a time when he, I, and the store manager will meet.

Shane totally admits that they made a mistake.  Some things in life are obvious.

I asked if there is a sign that says you agree to an exit search in order to complete a transaction - he said he thinks its on the back of the receipt.

At least the Walmart Nazis don't run you down when you refuse, but Best Buy will run you down and you will comply - even if it is unnecessary and disrespectful.

I was running a bit late for a meeting, and didn't have time for nonsense.

I feel so violated!!!

Pass the popcorn please.  Do you have a receipt for that popcorn?

Are you serious?  Because calling the manager about something so trivial seems like a momumental waste of time.

It's really very simple. They have a COMPANY POLICY, which the retarded minimum-wage drones at the door follow without much discretion on their part.  Of course it was obvious that you had paid, but as a rule it's not the door drone's job to exercise her judgment, it is her job to check receipts.

FWIW, I agree with you completely that it's stupid in obvious cases like yours.  But I just accept is as a company policy that is not about common sense or logic.  

If I don't like a particular store's policy, I stop shopping there - rather than wasting my time tilting at meaningless windmills.

ETA: Once, when I shopped at Best Buy the alarm went off, and I looked back at the cashier, winked and loudly shouted "Catch me if you can" and started running.   They just laughed and let me go.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:40:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Maybe they have the same policy as our own government does. No profiling...in other words they can only check the people that they know didn't just take something.

Actually, if there weren't so many thief scumbag mother fuckers around, stores probably wouldn't feel compelled to that at all. Blame the thief losers for these tactics first and formost.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:41:40 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm still pissed.

Was she hot? Maybe she just wanted to check the goods up close for a bit.

THAT IS PART OF THE PROBLEM - SHE WAS NOT HAWT!!!

HAWT = Hi, can I show you my BIG PACKAGE?  Yes, this BIG PACKAGE is definately all mine....  Hey, do you have a BOX for me to check out????  Hey, you see my name on the receipt, WHAT'S YOURS???
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:42:13 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:I was running a bit late for a meeting, and didn't have time for nonsense.

Who is at fault?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:43:02 AM EDT
[#26]
I think part of the receipt check, even though she watched you pay is also a check and balance on what is called "sweethearting" where the cashier doesn't ring you up completely in order for friends to pay for example $1.29 for a CD, instead of the correct price of $14.99, etc.

Yea, they shouldn't be so anal about it, I agree, but its true thats why their prices stay low, they are very good in the loss prevention end of things.

As for needing a managerial meeting, etc. I think you need to let stuff like this slide as you traverse thru life. Save that flabbergasted reaction for something that is actually a problem.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:43:55 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Yes, 5 seconds is not much time to assure prices are right - but obvious is obvious.

She was a teenager.  Her boss told her to check receipts at the door.  She was just looking to do the minimum.

It's no skin off my neck, be pissed if you want to!

I would rather smile at a teenage girl, get a whiff of her perfume... think about those ripe, pert little....   uhhhh, where was I?    
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:44:59 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:I was running a bit late for a meeting, and didn't have time for nonsense.

Who is at fault?

I feel they made me late as the store was extremely understaffed...  Seriously, there were lines of people at each cashier trying to get someone to help them.

It took me 45 minutes to ask a guy which sub just plugs right in, he said "this one, and these here" - I said I'll take this box here - thanks.  45 minutes to be waited on at 2:00pm on a Tuesday.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:46:00 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Easy solution: Don't shop at any store that believes that their customers are potential criminals!

Tell everyone you know not to shop at WORST BUY!

Ahhh...

You'll have to adsd Sam's and Costco....

They will not let you out the door with out checking...
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:46:38 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

She was a teenager.  Her boss told her to check receipts at the door.  She was just looking to do the minimum.

I would rather smile at a teenage girl, get a whiff of her perfume... think about those ripe, pert little....   uhhhh, where was I?    

She was NO teenager - she was 50+ with long gray hair.
Wow - you see my post count rising on this stupid issue?  Just WOW!!!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:47:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Sounds like she read your attitude (irritated, rushed) as you walked up to her and took it upon herself to "make a project" of you - exert her authority over you.  She was feeling her oats, no doubt.

Yep, she went too far - but by the same token, as said above - its a privately owned establishment.  If you wish to shop there, you should respect their policies, or shop elsewhere.

That said, it sounds like girlie needs some remedial training...

As for needing a managerial meeting, etc. I think you need to let stuff like this slide as you traverse thru life. Save that flabbergasted reaction for something that is actually a problem.

ETA - I agree here.  Getting all fired up about shit like this is taking you one step closer to the "big one".  DSTSS!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:48:47 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I think part of the receipt check, even though she watched you pay is also a check and balance on what is called "sweethearting" where the cashier doesn't ring you up completely in order for friends to pay for example $1.29 for a CD, instead of the correct price of $14.99, etc.

Yea, they shouldn't be so anal about it, I agree, but its true thats why their prices stay low, they are very good in the loss prevention end of things.

Yes you are exactly right.

+1
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:48:59 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who is at fault?

I feel they made me late as the store was extremely understaffed...  Seriously, there were lines of people at each cashier trying to get someone to help them.

It took me 45 minutes to ask a guy which sub just plugs right in, he said "this one, and these here" - I said I'll take this box here - thanks.  45 minutes to be waited on at 2:00pm on a Tuesday.

If you want to complain about something to the manager, I would complain about how it took 45 minutes to get some help.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:49:55 AM EDT
[#34]
The fact is that I usually slip out by refusing and keep going.

I'm pissed she caught me!

+1
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:50:05 AM EDT
[#35]
It's your life, use your time as you please but it would have taken you a heck of a lot less time to let her look at the receipt as it you're spending now.  

I've got aquaintences that do the same stuff at Fry's, what's the point of hassling with a minimum wage employee? It's not like intelligence is part of the job requirements.

Sometimes I think people do this stuff just to prove that their life and their time is more important than anything and anyone else.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:50:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Some day you might try taking one of the items out of the bag and putting it in your pocket.  Then when they check your receipt and OK it, you can ask them if you "got everything you paid for"......

I don't like receipt checking but I hate thieves too.  Their business and their choice, I don't have to shop there.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:50:51 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who is at fault?

If you want to complain about something to the manager, I would complain about how it took 45 minutes to get some help.

Yes, you are exactly right!!!

+ another 1
500 is coming fast
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:15:31 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then don't you think they should have trained her properly?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:25:10 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I know a lot of places mark your receipt with a highlighter or something, to prevent someone from walking out again 5 minutes later with another product using the same receipt.

Ya know, it really doesn't bother me.  Stores are private enterprises.  Don't like their policies, don't shop there.  It isn't nearly as bad as the .gov requireing some stupid shit.  
If they have great prices, loss prevention is part of the reason why.
I'm not going to hassle some teenage girl or elderly box store greeter.  I've got better things to do with my time.

I don't like it anymore than anybody else, but stealing stuff from the stores now days is easy.  At least the stores are trying to do something about. To me its just another aspect of shopping at a "brick & mortar" store.  Maybe you can order throught the internet and bypass this if it bothers you.

Personally, I don't like to shop at Best Buy because of run-ins with the management with returning defective merchandise.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:28:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Hey sorry if someone already suggested this, but have you ever considered that maybe she was checking the reciept not necessarily to catch YOU doing something wrong but possibly to catch the cashier?  I dont think its too uncommen for pissed off employees to try to screw over their employer, deliberately ringing something up as something else thats actually cheaper, etc.  For all you know they may have just had an incident recently that led them to believe this cashier was hooking up friends or even just random people with stupid good deals.  But im just playing devils advocate here.  Shoulda drawn down
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:30:53 AM EDT
[#41]
At a membership store like Costco I must comply with the rules, or lose the membership - and let's face it, if all you buy there is gas you are saving big bucks.

At a non-membership store like BB, or Wal-Mart, or any other - if they try to stop me, I don't stop.  I don't show my receipt like a good little subject.

Why?

Because it is MY property, and MY person, and that store took my money for it.

They can piss up a rope, or call the police.  I won't stop.

Those of you who make excuses for them, saying "it's just their job" or "it keeps costs down" are the same people who would object to a police search for no reason, right?

Jeez.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:34:03 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Those of you who make excuses for them, saying "it's just their job" or "it keeps costs down" are the same people who would object to a police search for no reason, right?

Jeez.

Police work for the government, whereas this is a private company on private property.

I doubt that they can really "make" you show it anymore than I can make you empty your pockets before leaving my house, but they aren't violating your constitutional rights by asking or anything like that.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:36:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:38:28 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
...If you want to complain about something to the manager, I would complain about how it took 45 minutes to get some help.

Yeah right.. he's too stoopid/cheap to staff properly... and now you want me to wait 10 minutes for him to come wandering out from the back of the store???????
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:38:42 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Popcorn - check!
Tasty pop - check!

Let the fun begin.

Av.

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:39:21 AM EDT
[#46]
they should just profile.

this coming from someone who worked in the retail industry during college.

95% of those that looked like they would steal were the ones that were stealing.  It's that simple.

We didn't stop old ladies buying gifts for their grandkids or parents doing the same if they looked like responsible citizens.  

Sounds 88 but it's reality.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:44:11 AM EDT
[#47]
I think they have no choice really but to stop everyone.  If they profiled only "certain" people lawsuits would come flying for all sorts of reasons.  One of the local grocery chains here now has to ID everyone who buys alcohol.  Even if you're in a wheelchair and are obviously over 90.  Someone sold booze to some underage kids a while back and they died in a car wreck.  Parents sued the store.  hinking.gif
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:47:03 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Jeez.

Actually, I don't think I would object to a police search.  I know my rights, I know I can say no, but I have nothing to hide.  It won't do me any harm to let the guy search....

[flamesuit on]

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:48:25 AM EDT
[#49]
she was really checking you out, to see if you were married and might be interested in dating her... and you were so mean... no nookie for you!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:55:59 AM EDT
[#50]
I refused to show my reciept once at Best Buy (just ignored the checker & blew by) and they, along with the store's square badge actually followed me to my car in the parking lot.

They never touched me, but they verbally harassed me up until the moment I drove out of ear shot.

They made all kinds of vague threats that I was going to have to "answer to the authorties", and that this was a "huge mistake that I will regret", but in the end they were full of shit, and nothing ever happened.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top