Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/26/2005 11:51:29 AM EDT
I am interested in using my Political Science Degree, which means I am seriously considering going for JAG or MP.

Anyone know much about JAG. Also, which branch is the best for pursuing a legal career?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:00:23 PM EDT
The Navy will allow more exposure to international law due to their travels. The Army will allow more experience due to the sheer number of troops in legal squabbles of one sort or another. Pick your choice, IMO.

My .o2
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 12:36:17 AM EDT
It goes without saying that the TV program is a little exaggerated. But I've known a few Navyand Marine JAGS and they did a lot of grunt work (pardon the expression) early on. Wills, Power of Attornies, Soldiers & Sailors Relief Act interventions for guys getting divorced while overseas, breaking leases due to orders, After a few years they get more into the criminal side. Get more Judge work in summary courts in the Navy because you have a lot more senior officers as Commanding Officers and they have the ability to more heavily clang a guy at Mast (Office Hours, etc Art 15 proceedings= NJP = Non-Judicial Punishment). In the Marines, Army and probably Air Force a Company Commander can convene Art 15 proceedings, and they are usually O-3s, Maybe an O-4 in a big unit and maybe even an O-2 in rare circumstances. In the Navy the CO of a shore base or larger ship(for examples, you can't necessarily turn down NJP when attached or embarked in a ship But Pre-Com crews, ships in long term yard periods, etc have differing rules) is often an O-6 , and if you are dirtbag who has spent several mornings with an O-6 previously, you just might take the opportunity to turn down an Article 14 and go for a Summary Court assuming you can flim-flam a JAG for a lesser sentence than the CO who knows you and loves you and can give you almost as much as the Summary Court can. And unless things have changed a Summary Court does not count as a Federal Conviction where Special and General Court Convictions do.

And it often comes down to where you get stationed. Are you attached to an independent command or to a Legal Services Center, if attached to a command you travel with it, a base legal services center, you might not travel anywhere. You know Join the Navy to see the world and get stationed at NAS Fallon, Nevada.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:01:56 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BobCole:
The Navy will allow more exposure to international law due to their travels. The Army will allow more experience due to the sheer number of troops in legal squabbles of one sort or another. Pick your choice, IMO.

My .o2

There's a hell of a lot of soldiers deployed IN foreign countries for extended periods. I know a few JAG officers who spent considerable time working with SOF (Status of Forces) agreements throughout Europe and Asia. Not to mention the number of dumbfucks who run afoul of the local Po-Po.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:56:24 AM EDT
You want the truth?

You can't handle the truth!!!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:31:58 AM EDT
The CORPS!!!!!

get to be a lawyer AND a Marine.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:45:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DvlDog:
The CORPS!!!!!

get to be a lawyer AND a Marine.

+1 both my brother in-laws are former Marines and lawyers although one is now a investment banker.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:55:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SJSAMPLE:

There's a hell of a lot of soldiers deployed IN foreign countries for extended periods.

Aside from Korea & Germany, where are the overseas Army bases???????
Top Top