Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/17/2013 9:44:37 PM EDT
What Bible has the most up to date scholarship and translations?
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 9:49:45 PM EDT
[#1]
New King James for me.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 9:50:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Edited...VA-gunnut

Link Posted: 1/17/2013 9:52:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted: Edited...VA-gunnut

Stay classy.

Link Posted: 1/17/2013 9:52:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Beat me to it.

Link Posted: 1/17/2013 10:09:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Why do y'all feel the need to shit on a thread asking an honest question?

I find it strange.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 10:22:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
New King James for me.

+1 King James version.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 10:25:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Nasb or esv for me
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 10:25:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I find it strange.

That is that damn first amendment. Ban it, its for the children.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 10:31:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Be careful when you mention "Best" and " most up to date scholarship and translation" in the same sentence. It's kind of like movie remakes. The new versions may be more up to date and thus technically correct, but the soul seems to get lost in translation.

KJV 1611

But don't take my word for it. The info is out there if you choose to seek it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 10:32:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I find it strange.

If you think the 1A applies to a privately run online forum you may want to try thinking a little harder.

edit:  Try squinting.  Helps me sometimes.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 10:32:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I find it strange.

Asking why he felt the need to dump on this thread has literally nothing to do with the First Amendment.  

Christ, I wish people would educate themselves.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 10:33:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I find it strange.

Asking why he felt the need to dump on this thread has literally nothing to do with the First Amendment.  

Christ, I wish people would educate themselves.

If I have the right to do it no one can draw opinions of me for doing it.

*begins shoving crucifix up ass while urinating on a copy of the 10 Commandments*
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 10:35:42 PM EDT
[#13]
The question depends on whether you are a TR purist or not.

The NKJV, ESV, or NASB are all good and easily read.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 10:40:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Use more than one.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 10:42:28 PM EDT
[#15]
I was going to say Stoeger's Shooters Bible, but I guess that wasn't the version you were looking for.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 10:42:39 PM EDT
[#16]
King James Version.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 10:43:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Actually I have been checking out Biblos.com lately.  Every translation.  Every input from all known(?) preachers and bible students from earliest of records.  In all languages.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 10:43:58 PM EDT
[#18]
NASB and ESV are both very literal and up to date, these are great for in-depth study

NKJV is pretty good

NIV 1984 ed.  Is my favorite for readability

I've got NIV, NKJV, and ESV and honestly they all read fine and are too close to matter on most things.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 10:45:47 PM EDT
[#19]
There are three main philosophies on Bible translations. The right translation for you depends a lot on what you want out of it.

The three philosophies are:

Literal Translations - strives to provide word for word translations from the original languages. They tend to be very accurate, but leave all interpretation to the reader and are sometimes difficult to read because they don't smooth out the grammar of the original languages. KJV, NKJV, NASB, and ESV would fall into this category.

Idiomatic Translations - strives to provide an idea for idea translation that is faithful to the original languages. More readable, but in an attempt to smooth the grammar these translations begin to interject some interpretation for the reader. NIV and HCSB would fall into this category.

Paraphrase Translations - strives to provide a big picture translation, but does not represent the original languages very well. Much of the time these Bibles could be considered as much commentary on the Bible as translation of the Bible. The Living Bible, Good News for Modern Man, and the Message would fall into this category.

So, what translation is best for you? That depends on what you are after. If you're wanting a Bible for serious study - meaning that you're willing to read deeper when something doesn't make sense - go literal.  If you're looking for something to read and understand for devotion, NIV would work well. While I'm not personally a fan of the Paraphrase translations, they're not a bad place to start. My point is that translations from every philosophy is profitable so long as you know what you've got in your hands.

Myself, when I'm doing sermon prep I start in the original languages. When I preach and teach I use the NASB. When I'm reading for personal devotion I use the NIV.

If you do go with the NIV be aware that some of the newer editions (2011 I think) are using gender neutral pronouns because a lot of modern writing is going that way. I don't know if I'd put them in the paraphrase camp or not because of that, but there has been a bit of a flap over it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 10:46:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Book of Mormon

/What?

//It's got all of the post-Koran updates in it
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 10:48:12 PM EDT
[#21]
I like NKJV

Anymore, my personal choice is to utilize a e-reader/Ipad/android tablet and download a bible application. On my phone I now have the ability to check verses in 20-30 different translations and instantly use strong's numbers to do more research on the text.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 10:59:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I find it strange.

If you think the 1A applies to a privately run online forum you may want to try thinking a little harder.

edit:  Try squinting.  Helps me sometimes.

The first amendment covers the freedom of religion its your right to choose to believe it God or not. Please click link then rethink your post.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 11:01:04 PM EDT
[#23]
King James is the most common & relevant to US culture.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 11:02:03 PM EDT
[#24]

This is the post I was referring to people. Use your brains once in a while. 1st Amendment freedom of religion or not. Educate your selves is right.

Link Posted: 1/17/2013 11:04:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Of course the 1A covers your right to say almost anything. But why the need to disparage someone asking a legitimate question?

"Because I can!!", right? Well, good for you.

Here's my 1A response...

Shut the fuck up about things you don't understand.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 11:05:56 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:Edited...VA-gunnut

Oh shit, good job dude, I bet you fixed him all up and he's a practicing Atheist now.

Well done, good sell. Now go mow down on a bowl of dicks to celebrate.

Link Posted: 1/17/2013 11:08:20 PM EDT
[#27]
I did a lot of research in to this a couple years back. After a few weeks of looking at dozens of bibles, reading a few books in each one, and researching which was the most accurate to the original Greek/Aramaic/Hebrew texts I narrowed it down to the New Living Translation with the words of Christ in red. I read it, and found it to be much better in terms of being able to learn from it as compared to when I read the King James Version. It's the one I recommend to those looking in to learning more about the teachings of the bible, God, and Jesus Christ.

Link Posted: 1/17/2013 11:08:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 2:45:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Use more than one.

This. Study bibles are pretty nice, parallel bibles have different versions side by side.

Some translations are more literal, some are " thought for thought".  That makes some better for reading and some better for studying.

I have a parallel one called "the essential evanfelical parallel bible. It has 4 translations but the chapter in the begining explaining differant manuscripts and translations is very thourough.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 2:46:19 AM EDT
[#30]
sorry for spelling, im mobile and in a hurry.

Link Posted: 1/18/2013 2:48:44 AM EDT
[#31]
NASB>ESV>NET>NIV>NKJV<KJV

Link Posted: 1/18/2013 3:08:25 AM EDT
[#32]
It's tough to chose between "Dreams of my Father" and "Audacity of Hope"
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 3:24:41 AM EDT
[#33]
ESV is a very literal, modern English translation of the original text.  Used by my entire church staff at this point.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 3:25:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Get the Companion Bible and a Strong's Concordance for study. I like the standard 1611 KJV myself, but I was raised up reading it or the New King James so I'm used to it. I don't have much of an opinion on the other bibles as far as ease of reading.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CFMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FCompanion-Bible-W-Bullinger%2Fdp%2F0825422035&ei=jD75UOKKOYnm0QH4o4HoBQ&usg=AFQjCNEQCKkyDVwB3uGD6AfdJd-46M91Zg&bvm=bv.41248874,d.dmQ&cad=rja
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 3:30:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Be careful when you mention "Best" and " most up to date scholarship and translation" in the same sentence. It's kind of like movie remakes. The new versions may be more up to date and thus technically correct, but the soul seems to get lost in translation.

KJV 1611

Agreed.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 5:11:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

KJV 1611

Agreed.

DITTO:  KJV
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 5:17:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
What Bible has the most up to date scholarship and translations?

I really like the ESV. There are free versions available for smart phones. I'm currently using one entitled simply 'Bible', by LifeChurch.tv.

Link Posted: 1/18/2013 5:19:09 AM EDT
[#38]
I like NIV and The Message together, they compliment eachother well
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 5:20:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

KJV 1611

Agreed.

DITTO:  KJV

For folks who were raised with it and already have much committed to memory, KJV is fine. Younger folks and folks not exposed to KJV growing up seem to have a really hard time with its language.  

Link Posted: 1/18/2013 5:21:17 AM EDT
[#40]
NIV..Zondervan put out a great NIV study bible, with definitions, historical maps and footnotes, etc..

Good reading
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 5:25:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
New King James for me.

first reply and all
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 5:25:49 AM EDT
[#42]
I used to believe in finding the absolute best, most word-for-word accurate translation, and having been raised in a strict Baptist church, that mean the KJV.

Then I read from a NIV and I could actually understand what it meant! Since I switched, I also noticed that when I recalled a verse that was of particular relevance to my life or someone else, the verse was in plain language.

Also, Jesus doesn't sound like a stuffy old-timey preacher (you know the kind, the ones that on TV always turn out to be a serial killer or cult leader).

Basically, what you have to realize is that the Bible has truth in it. It also has the Truth in it. Jesus is the Truth, and the truth points to Him. Any translation is going to be slightly less than the original text - if you want to get that close, you need to learn how many dialects of ancient hebrew and aramaic and greek? But even the original text is less than what really happened. Remember, the Bible is simply the story of people who lived their lives while God acted in them and through them.

For me, the KJV was not relevant to... well, anything. Unless you wanted some creepy backwoods preacher to turn out to be a serial killer. Don't get so obsessed with "the truth" that you miss the Truth. It doesn't matter how perfect our translation of the Bible is, because of our brokenness and the things we have experienced in this life, we all believe things about God that are incorrect, but you have to let God correct those things in your heart.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 5:27:10 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 5:31:08 AM EDT
[#44]
I will die with my AR-15 and KJV.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 5:33:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I like NIV and The Message together, they compliment eachother well

The message in one of the ones in my parallel bible is the message. I didnt think I would like it and some parts kind of make me giggle, but a lot of parts are really cool to read out loud.

I dont agree with some of the calvinist theory but the mcarthur study bible has some really good notes. I also have study bibles that dont have any theological leanings.

Link Posted: 1/18/2013 5:36:40 AM EDT
[#46]
I like the NASB

Link Posted: 1/18/2013 5:37:29 AM EDT
[#47]
I've read several versions, but for sheer poetic language that really seems to have more meaning than the modern verbiage, the KJV is the best.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 5:39:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Personally I use a few different bibles

King James Primarily (though some can struggle with the language)
The New Kings James may help make it easier

I also use an Amplified to help to grasp the concepts in some passages.

Personally I find the Bible really is interesting to study.

Link Posted: 1/18/2013 5:44:34 AM EDT
[#49]
I prefer the Oxford Study Bible.  It was the one i used in school in my religion courses and I kept it as my go to.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 5:45:40 AM EDT
[#50]
I love my King James Version study Bible
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top