Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2014 1:06:42 PM EDT
Household 6 is expecting, so besides the obvious (plugs), stairs, and sharp corners, whats the best baby-proofing stuff?

1. Are any particular stove knob covers better than others? I mean I use the stove a lot, so ease of use is a plus, but baby-proofing them would ease the mind a bit...
2. Do I really need to secure cabinets? All chemicals have already been moved to upper shelves in the laundry room, so really it's just pots and pans, rice cooker and Tupperware?
3. Are the Safety 1st plug covers the best?
4. The furniture in the nursery is already overly strapped to the walls, (and lagged to the studs), so I'm not concerned about climbing on them...

What else am I missing?
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:11:36 PM EDT
[#1]
What kind of dog do you have?

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:13:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:13:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Too late for condoms. That was your best shot at stopping your best shot.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:17:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:18:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Ferocious warhounds. They may lick the baby's toes off.

And no condom... This is a good thing... We're looking for BABY info not birth control!
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:23:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:25:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10475835_661183890637340_538055119739096982_n.jpg?oh=f4a235f2217bbbe30b3d788c3e92203c&oe=545C4A04&__gda__=1416750393_87ac5e8d9b12820089d1f0aa93886554

And no condom... This is a good thing... We're looking for BABY info not birth control!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10475835_661183890637340_538055119739096982_n.jpg?oh=f4a235f2217bbbe30b3d788c3e92203c&oe=545C4A04&__gda__=1416750393_87ac5e8d9b12820089d1f0aa93886554

What are those? They look like someone crossbred a husky and a Pomeranian.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:27:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Why worry about the plugs?

They will only do it once, if they ever do it. They need to learn about electricity anyways.

Add the locks on the cabinets. Also, find a way to rig your front door so they can't let themselves out.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:28:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Tamper Resistant Receptacles are the best.  Now is the time do upgrade those old worn out outlets with something new, better, and safer.

I have awesome Safety First Magnetic Locks on my cabinets.  Yea, they're awesome.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:29:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:30:30 PM EDT
[#11]
+1 on the gates.  We have a daughter 2.5 years older than our twin sons.

The house be bought had two sets of French doors, and a permanently-installed pet gate in the central hallway.  Closing and latching the French doors, and closing the pet gate effectively sealed off the back of the house which included the family room, dinette and kitchen.  My wife loved that.

Somehow, my wife and I managed to grow up in homes with nothing covering the outlets, chemicals under the sink, no padded sharp corners of walls or tables, and not even any GFI outlets .  Yet, somehow, we survived.  I guess we were just lucky.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:31:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No they are not Pom-skies. which are abominations. I mean the logistics of that... The husky's head is as big as the entire Pom!  They are Alaskan Klee Kais.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:32:40 PM EDT
[#13]
You are NOT going to baby proof everything.  Children WILL find away.  You will need to start crawling around on all fours to make yourself of equal hight  Anything that can be picked-up and placed in the mouth WILL be.  Good luck
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:33:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

No they are not Pom-skies. which are abominations. I mean the logistics of that... The husky's head is as big as the entire Pom!  They are Alaskan Klee Kais.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the link. They look like huskies, but their faces look like Poms.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:33:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:34:23 PM EDT
[#16]
View All Quotes

Baby cam is going to be a Foscam, and get added to the rest of the security network when done.

Quoted:
Tamper Resistant Receptacles are the best.  Now is the time do upgrade those old worn out outlets with something new, better, and safer.

I have awesome Safety First Magnetic Locks on my cabinets.  Yea, they're awesome.  

The tamper resistant receptacles also resist usage by adults! :D I've upgraded several around the house to USB charging outlets and they have tamper resistance... And it about kills me all the time trying to get a god damn plug in.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:35:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Coffee tables and end tables can cheaply be made toddler-friendly with air conditioning line insulation stuck on the edges of the tops.  A head bumped one a padded table top is a whole lot less traumatic than a hard bump that breaks the skin or even causes a concussion.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:39:00 PM EDT
[#18]
dang monkeys shoving pbjs into the vcr load door

you will have months until they are mobile enough to cause havoc
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:39:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Baby cam is going to be a Foscam, and get added to the rest of the security network when done.

The tamper resistant receptacles also resist usage by adults! :D I've upgraded several around the house to USB charging outlets and they have tamper resistance... And it about kills me all the time trying to get a god damn plug in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wiggle the plug in to the receptacle.  They loosen up a little after repeated use.  The P&S ones are the tightest, but again, they do loosen.  And if you use the tamper covers instead, you need a knife or screwdriver to pry the damn things off anyway.  So it's certainly not easier using the plug in tamper thingies.  The slider cover plates are probably a better alternative to them, but I've seen many of them break and no longer slide.

But about those magnetic cabinet locks, do it.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:41:40 PM EDT
[#20]
I gotta be honest - I have two kids (12 and 7) and I didn't do any house proofing.

I'm not saying you should emulate me, but my kids were always fine. Don't overthink it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:42:58 PM EDT
[#21]
retract-a-gate, get the long ones.

I use random push-in plug covers and a few cheap drawer locks.  The primary result of the drawer locks is that nothing in those drawers gets out.  Also use the cabinet drawer locks that hold the knobs together somethimes.

The important thing is to make sure they can't escape the house unobserved.

3 year old and 16 month old boys here.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:44:15 PM EDT
[#22]
velcro on the walls
fuzzy outfit on the baby

problem solved
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:46:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Household 6 is expecting, so besides the obvious (plugs), stairs, and sharp corners, whats the best baby-proofing stuff?

1. Are any particular stove knob covers better than others? I mean I use the stove a lot, so ease of use is a plus, but baby-proofing them would ease the mind a bit...
2. Do I really need to secure cabinets? All chemicals have already been moved to upper shelves in the laundry room, so really it's just pots and pans, rice cooker and Tupperware?
3. Are the Safety 1st plug covers the best?
4. The furniture in the nursery is already overly strapped to the walls, (and lagged to the studs), so I'm not concerned about climbing on them...

What else am I missing?
View Quote

TV's and dressers need to be secured to walls.  LOTS of kids at the pre-toddler age get injured/killed pulling stuff over.  It happens easier than most would think.  

I.E. You leave the middle drawer on the dresser open....kid pulls self up on the drawer and, due to leverage and angle, 100lbs dresser comes right on over when you'd have thought the drawer would just slide out.

Lots of crawler/toddler age kids also drown in mop buckets (they're top heavy and cant get out), so be wary with those and never, ever leave unattended or allow kid near.  Aspirating cleaning solutions will mess a kid up right quick even if they dont drown.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:48:49 PM EDT
[#24]

3 boys here, ages 4, 1, and about to be born in 2 weeks.

I just gate off any place where I don't want them, and if I need to take them into a room that is not "safe" they get their ass strapped to an activity chair.  

Mind your toilets, start shutting the damn lid now and get into the habit.  Don't want any toddlers falling in.

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:50:11 PM EDT
[#25]
We have 4 kids (7 and under).  We never "baby proofed" anything - including outlets, stair gates, cabinet locks, drawer locks, etc.  Well, I do have a gunvault on my nightstand now.  Anyway - our kids are still alive, were easily stopped from getting into shit they weren't supposed to be in and never drowned in the toilet.  We did have one that liked to push buttons on the TV/Receiver.

Don't waste your $ - watch your kid(s) and teach them what is ok/not.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:18:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Foscam is the one that guy hacked and was watching and talking to someone else's baby, and screaming at the mother, right?
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:20:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:20:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Foscam is the one that guy hacked and was watching and talking to someone else's baby, and screaming at the mother, right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Dynamic and rotating IP behind firewall. And my SSID is not broadcast.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:20:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:25:28 PM EDT
[#30]
When did this whole baby proofing thing become big, I'm 28 and this whole "baby proofing" wasn't practiced in my house and I still have all my fingers and toes.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:26:13 PM EDT
[#31]
When we moved into our current house, I replaced all the outlets with tamper-resistant ones. The old ones were ugly and needed fixing, plus the TR models were cheaper.

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:29:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Use these.  Best house proofing you can find.

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:31:27 PM EDT
[#33]
A disapproving stare picture? I don't know how well that's going to work. Maybe I should just use my own.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:34:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
A disapproving stare picture? I don't know how well that's going to work. Maybe I should just use my own.
View Quote

Print them out and hang them everywhere.

If anyone says anything, tell them you're training your child to live in a surveillance society.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:34:18 PM EDT
[#35]

Our kid could climb to the top of the refrigerator when he was 2 years old.  We tried to babyproof everything, but most of it turned out to be a waste of time.

When he was tiny: baby proofing means making sure there isn't anything he can choke on within reach.

When he could walk and climb: babyproofed drawers and cabinents on lower level - not so much to keep him safe, but to keep him from trashing the kitchen.  He had his own cabinet with tupperware he could play with.  

Made sure tv's, bookshelves and dressers were secured to the wall.

Chemicals were out of reach.

We kept the knife block in a high cabinet for 3 years.

We put a chain on the front door.  Once he was 2 he would try to go out the front door.  The chain gave us an extra 10 seconds to catch him before he could move a chair to the door and climb up to the chain.

But other than that . . not much.  Putting foam on every sharp corner doesn't make sense.  Outlet covers don't make sense - if he can put something metal in an outlet, he can probably pry off a outlet cover, too.

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:43:08 PM EDT
[#36]

came to post this but read the OP

thread title is misleading.  

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:49:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
When did this whole baby proofing thing become big, I'm 28 and this whole "baby proofing" wasn't practiced in my house and I still have all my fingers and toes.
View Quote

I'm 29 and I remember that every house that I was ever in as a kid had the stupid  inside the cabinet latch door locks.

I also watched 2 different kids stick paper clips in to receptacles while in school.    I was not one of them.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:52:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Our Gang had it all under control in the 30's

and if you don't want to watch 16minutes just go to 7;40 of part 2 and see how Spankey handles child safety

God Bless your family
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:55:04 PM EDT
[#39]

Having had 3 sons I can assure you that isn't enough.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:56:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

I didn't really do it for my kids, but I can see where it might have gone wrong. I think it depends on how many hazards your house has to begin with.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:59:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you live in earthquake country then all you should have to do is cover the outlets.

Otherwise gates and playpens until they get old enough to defeat those.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:17:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Fork proof outlets. You need to push in both prongs to push somethin in either.

Tie the furniture to the wall with mounting kits. Make sure yur TV is also anchoredm we get at least 1 dead kid a year from that.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:26:44 PM EDT
[#43]
+1 On getting used to closing toilet seats, toddlers or any kid that can walk and hold things love to drop stuff in toilets.  

Make sure crayon/marker use is supervised at first.  Don't ever take a nap when kids have crayons/markers or you will be cleaning walls.

Do not allow glitter or playdoh in the house ever. Or CSI play kits that contain powdered ink.

Kids feed dogs whatever there eating so don't worry bout dogs they will love the kid, and hover at food time.

Keep cleaning products/poisons high up where they can't get.

A crying baby is exercising it's lungs.  If kid falls down/gets hurt and cries that's good.  If they take a big blow to head falling or jumping head first into a hardwood floor and doesn't cry get to the ER fast.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:35:24 PM EDT
[#44]
AND LEARN CHILD CPR!!!
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:36:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Kids like dog kennels as shown
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:39:48 PM EDT
[#46]
You realize your baby will take several months to figure out how to roll over, let alone walk over to the stairs and take a header into the garbage disposal, right?

Just saying, you've got time to figure this out on the fly.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:42:11 PM EDT
[#47]
"Best Baby Proofing stuff?"

Pull it out at the last minute.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top