Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/13/2001 8:02:29 PM EDT
this probably belongs in the build it yourself section, but the G.D. board gets read much more frequently so:

I have a Chipmunk rifle that my (soon to be) 6 year old daughter will get for her birthday.  I will teach her to shoot with it.  I will also be shooting at the same time with some centerfire rifles.

If (and I don't doubt she will) she eventually wants to shoot a "big person's" gun--

How should it be configured to make it easy for a sub 50 lb child to shoot?

It would pretty much have to configured as a post-ban with a muzzle brake.  So, that leads to these questions--

If I use a pre-ban, I can use a collapsable stock, or a post ban, fixed postion (shortest setting) "collapsable" stock.

Where can I save weight?  

What is the lightest barrel and/or complete upper to use?

Thanks for any pointers.

AFARR
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 8:12:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Go for the pre-ban multi folder with a 16" LW barrel A1 style.  In addition, you could add a .22 converison kit with it.  This way you can teach your daughter with the .22 until she is comfortable to shoot the .223.  I think the fixed stock post ban will be too much for a small child.  With the folder, you can at least adjust to her stature.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 8:16:34 PM EDT
[#2]
"big person's guns" are for big people. Handing over a high powered rifle to child who doesn't understand the consequences of its misuse is just plain irresponsible.

Sure letting her fire it once or twice for kicks is nice but let her grow up a little bit before she is shooting centerfire rifles on a regular basis.

Link Posted: 7/13/2001 8:18:55 PM EDT
[#3]
AFARR,

I have a CAR15 set up for my 7yr old son.  You might have seen it/him in action at the last "pit session" over Memorial Day.  It's a 16"HBAR that I had Kurt'sKustom do a M4 job on.  The result is a barrel that is lighter than a M4 (smaller O.D. to begin with), and handles super nice.  I permanently pinned a telestock to the shortest position to finish it off.  Yea I know, there's debate on this, but trust me....you would have to destroy it to get it to move.   The result was a super-light carbine that is the proper length for his frame and he enjoys shooting it.  When he grows a bit, I'll buy another stock, move it down a pin, and do the same thing.  The shorter one will be saved for his younger brother.

A .22 short will kill just as dead as a .223.  The key here is maturity, not caliber.

sorry....had to rant!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top