Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/13/2011 7:29:53 PM EDT
I know UK has those armed response units but most beat cops are not armed. I've never heard of this anywhere else.

ETA: I bet if they could the NYPD brass would disarm most officers.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:31:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Planning on some sort of heist?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:36:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Everywhere I've been the cops had guns. Italians had 92FSs and Model 12s. IIRC the Greeks had some sort of HiPowers as did the police in Dubai. In Bahrain they had Beretta clones and MP5s.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:38:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Canada. We don't believe in guns
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:41:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I've only been to one country outside of the US (Colombia), so I sure as hell don't know about cops anywhere else in the world.  

But, I'll tell you what I know:

When I was in Colombia I saw the full gambit.  From Cops walking around with Galils, to cops with various autos and revolvers, to cops with empty sidearm holsters so from a distance they appeared to be armed, to cops with just nightsticks.  If I had to guess, it seemed most had firearms.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:43:22 PM EDT
[#5]
NZ cops are not routinely armed.

Often bushmasters and glocks in the boot (trunk) of the car though.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:44:09 PM EDT
[#6]

The Japanese police are very moderately armed, by and large.  Honestly, I would imagine they would be more unarmed, if it wasn't for the US arming the Japanese Police after the War, creating a procedure from the which the Japanese police would be very difficult to dislodge.

I remember reading they are issued locally produced S&W Model 10 copies, with 12 rounds, with a number of those being blanks.

Removing the weapon from its holster was considered a use-of-force incident.  That said, I think their UoF policies are VERY liberal regarding kicks/strikes or baton use.

The Police in Japan are VERY highly regarded by the citizentry, as I understand it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:46:06 PM EDT
[#7]
And which banks in those countries have the most cash?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:47:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Japanese police carry SIG P230's  in .32ACVP with an added safety.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:50:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

What is the thinking behind that?

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:55:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Guns are icky in NZ

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:56:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:56:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Tag

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:58:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Campus police

Ours have P229's, 870s and ARs.

ETA:  I thought more rozzers were armed these days

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:04:15 PM EDT
[#14]

[/quote]
[/quote]

why bother.... by and large can't shoot for shit.....

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:07:01 PM EDT
[#15]
The Mumbai police were mostly unarmed.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:07:14 PM EDT
[#16]
A lot of the small Carribean nations don't.  though I did see one Granada cop with a .22 Beretta Minx a few years back.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:07:31 PM EDT
[#17]
In the Republic of Ireland the Police (The Garda Siochana) also do not as a rule carry weapons.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:14:38 PM EDT
[#18]
United Kingdom, Ireland, Norway, and New Zealand
like the guy above said indian police used to be unarmed but that changed after the mumbai attacks

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:18:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
why bother.... by and large can't shoot for shit.....

That is the fault of the brass too. NYPD patrol officers by and large might not be the best shots but I'd bet due the amount of experience that most are better mentally prepared to deal with violence than other department's officers.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:22:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It's not nice to lie to our southern neighbors. Telling them the we don't believe in guns is like the people who tell them we all live in igloos and only travel around by dog sled.

edit for spelling
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:40:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Campus police

Not in Florida. Public University police are armed, certified state LEOs with all the authority local cops have, but only limited to campus. University of Miami has a well manned department with uniformed patrol, a motorcycle unit, and plain clothes supervisors/possibly detectives (who carry compact and subcompact Glocks on their belt). UM Police also must have "tacticool" dress days, because a group of four UM cops would always come into my former work place for lunch wearing gray BDUs and their Batman belts.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:45:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Bahamas are unarmed IIRC.

Ireland, armed.

Jamaican cops are armed.

All of continental Europe is armed, I believe.

If I had to guess at unarmed cops - Singapore?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:46:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Campus police

Mostly armed, in my experience, at least at public universities.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:47:00 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Bahamas are unarmed IIRC.

Ireland, armed.

Jamaican cops are armed.

All of continental Europe is armed, I believe.

If I had to guess at unarmed cops - Singapore?

Not only are Singapore cops not unarmed, they have a Gurkha contingent.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:49:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I know UK has those armed response units but most beat cops are not armed. I've never heard of this anywhere else.

It would be safer. You guys are dangerous.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:50:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Most of the traffic cops in Kuwait were unarmed.  I saw some wandering around with revolvers in crappy holsters with no reloads.  There seemed to be no rhyme or reason to which ones carried and which ones rolled with no weapons.  Sometimes a it would be a SArgeant carrying and sometimes it would be a patrolman.  

I just chalked it up to most of them being lazy and not bothering to take their pistol out of their locker for shift.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:59:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Saw most cops in Jamaica didn't have pistols... most had billy clubs or night sticks.  A few had revolvers.

The TCU Campus police had full police powers, and were allowed to carry whatever SA pistol they wanted. Small private university had their own dept so they could keep control of response times since Fort Worth PD is very slow.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:56:45 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's nice nice to lie to our southern neighbors. Telling them the we don't believe in guns is like the people who tell them we all live in igloos and only travel around by dog sled.

You mean to tell me you don't?

Next you're going to tell me you don't Roll up the Rim to Win

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:35:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Cops carry in the Netherlands while on duty.

Of duty carry is illegal and a cop cant have a gun in the home for self defence .

Intresting enough a couple of months ago a off duty cop stopped the armed robbery of a jewlers using his illegally carried gun Link to story in Dutch

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:40:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Campus police

armed in Colorado, both at state and community colleges
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:41:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

It's nice nice to lie to our southern neighbors. Telling them the we don't believe in guns is like the people who tell them we all live in igloos and only travel around by dog sled.

I miss Timmy Ho's
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:43:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Iceland. I think they don't have a baton either, just mace and handcuffs.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:02:01 AM EDT
[#33]
South Korea. Unless you count those big sticks.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:18:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Campus police

Not where I go.

They have M4s.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:24:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Barbados...
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:42:28 AM EDT
[#36]
All of the cops here are armed. The Army base in town has two guys standing out front with G36's during business hours.

On a related note - I was in Bilbao yesterday and saw this:

That's right - a gun store in Europe.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:50:49 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Campus police

campus security maybe, but at least around here, university police officers are no different than county police in how they're trained and armed.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:53:53 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Campus police

campus security maybe, but at least around here, university police officers are no different than county police in how they're trained and armed.

I know that in Missouri they're technically State Police.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:54:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Planning on some sort of heist?

I was thinking vacation.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:57:51 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Campus police

In Virginia public universities are state agencies.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:08:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Campus police

In Virginia public universities are state agencies.

Yep.

LSU police is/are a "State" agency.

Here, anyway....
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:55:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
All of the cops here are armed. The Army base in town has two guys standing out front with G36's during business hours.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i103/supercaptaincoolman/IMG_0958.jpg

There's thousands of gun shops in Europe and the UK.

Hell, there's 15 within a 10 mile radius of where I live (probably more actually) and at least 10 shooting ranges.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:36:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure if you don't Roll up the Rim to Win they can give you the death penalty.

I've currently got a cup that good for a free coffee in my truck.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:39:15 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hell, there's 15 within a 10 mile radius of where I live (probably more actually) and at least 10 shooting ranges.

Of which 9 will be shotguns only and the 10th will do airguns as well?

I used to find that it was very hard to buy anything outside of traditional products and I lived Berkshire/Oxfordshire borders.

Woe betide anyone that wanted a rail for an AR15.

I also saw a LOT of shooting ranges close down about 5 years after the pistol ban as the 'gallery rifle' craze wore off.

Although if you're talking indoor ranges there does seem to be one in every major town.

The thing that still amazes me, you know the electronic targets at Bisley, no-one else here in the US that I've seen has that yet.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:46:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Of which 9 will be shotguns only and the 10th will do airguns as well?

I used to find that it was very hard to buy anything outside of traditional products and I lived Berkshire/Oxfordshire borders.

Woe betide anyone that wanted a rail for an AR15.

I also saw a LOT of shooting ranges close down about 5 years after the pistol ban as the 'gallery rifle' craze wore off.

Although if you're talking indoor ranges there does seem to be one in every major town.

The thing that still amazes me, you know the electronic targets at Bisley, no-one else here in the US that I've seen has that yet.

All of the Gunshops near me do rifles and shotguns.Some are Sec 5 dealers for pistols.  There is one or two air rifle only ones but I didn't think to include them.  Shooting has sen quite a resurgence in the UK in the last 5 years or so and there's actually a shortage of range space now.

Yeah ETR is becoming more and more popular as is the electronic scoring stuff we use down there.

Absolutely no problem getting AR stuff now.  The asshattery of the US State Department and the epic clusterfuck that is ITAR has really hampered US Imports for legit use but there's a lot of UK innovation going on right now to satisfy an ever growing AR Market.  The American market is still huge by comparison byut it would be nice to get more US stuff over here.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:52:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Section 5 is what pistols and semi auto rifle? How hard is it to get that permit and can you shoot those guns?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:55:27 AM EDT
[#47]

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:57:53 AM EDT
[#48]

The asshattery of the US State Department and the epic clusterfuck that is ITAR has really hampered US Imports for legit use
I gotta +1 this !
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:58:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Please, we've got verbal judo, those escape hoods, and a bl..er, um minority community that loves us! WTF do I need guns for?

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:25:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Section 5 is what pistols and semi auto rifle? How hard is it to get that permit and can you shoot those guns?

Pistols  - not hard to get one.  But the conditions imposed are bloody stupid.

Semit auto rifles (centrfire) almost impossible at the moment.  Bloody silly laws again
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top